Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney Experience

What I think will happen here in Florida, once the vaccine is available to everyone and everyone has had the chance to get it, the Governor will add to the Executive Order "businesses can NOT be fined for anything covid related"

Essentially, this will then leave it up to the individual business to require masks or not. Some will some will not and the patron will then have the choice to visit that business or not.
Not sure that would pass the Florida constitution. A while back the state (not through just an executive order, but actual law passed) tried to limit physician malpractice awards for non-economic losses. The Florida Supreme Court said the law was not constitutional and threw it out.

I know a non-invasive Cardiologist who lives in Florida and is licensed in multiple states, never been sued with lots of years in practice. Once that decision was made in the Florida Supreme Court she opted to practice out of state.

Sometimes it is hard to limit liability in some states.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Not sure that would pass the Florida constitution. A while back the state (not through just an executive order, but actual law passed) tried to limit physician malpractice awards for non-economic losses. The Florida supreme court said the law was not constitutional and threw it out.

I know a non-invasive Cardiologist who lives in Florida and is licensed in multiple states, never been sued with lots of years in practice. Once that decision was made in the Florida Supreme Court she opted to practice out of state.

Yeah I don't think Ronnie has the power to do that. The Judiciary might have something to say about his stepping on toes to limit a person's right to recover damages for an injury. I don't think there will be many cases, just predatory law firms hoping to shake some cash out of deep pockets.

Chi84

Premium Member
Yeah I don't think Ronnie has the power to do that. The Judiciary might have something to say about his stepping on toes to limit a person's right to recover damages for an injury. I don't think there will be many cases, just predatory law firms hoping to shake some cash out of deep pockets.

It wouldn’t be done through executive order. It would have to be some type of COVID shield legislation as described above and would definitely be tested in the courts.

JoeCamel

It wouldn’t be done through executive order. It would have to be some type of COVID shield legislation as described above and would definitely be tested in the courts.
Right, Ronnie can't do it alone but the legislature is in session....

DisneyCane

What I think will happen here in Florida, once the vaccine is available to everyone and everyone has had the chance to get it, the Governor will add to the Executive Order "businesses can NOT be fined for anything covid related"

Essentially, this will then leave it up to the individual business to require masks or not. Some will some will not and the patron will then have the choice to visit that business or not.

Not sure that would pass the Florida constitution. A while back the state (not through just an executive order, but actual law passed) tried to limit physician malpractice awards for non-economic losses. The Florida Supreme Court said the law was not constitutional and threw it out.

Somehow @Mark52479 was misunderstood here. The post was talking about Governor Desantis stopping COVID-related fines on businesses. He can absolutely do that. All of the COVID measures are being implemented under powers given during a State of Emergency. If he ends the State of Emergency, they can't do these things anymore. Just like he forced all counties to open bars, he can force them to remove restrictions.

To be honest, I don't think that the whole COVID situation really qualifies under a State of Emergency. It should be classified as a Public Health Emergency for which there is a dedicated set of FL Statutes and gives specifically enumerated powers to the "State Health Official" who I believe is the Surgeon General. That's a whole other can of worms.

A liability shield would have to be a law and I don't think it is similar to the medical tort reform attempt. I assume that was tossed because it treated physicians differently than other people (although I'd have to research).

Chi84

Premium Member
Somehow @Mark52479 was misunderstood here. The post was talking about Governor Desantis stopping COVID-related fines on businesses. He can absolutely do that. All of the COVID measures are being implemented under powers given during a State of Emergency. If he ends the State of Emergency, they can't do these things anymore. Just like he forced all counties to open bars, he can force them to remove restrictions.

To be honest, I don't think that the whole COVID situation really qualifies under a State of Emergency. It should be classified as a Public Health Emergency for which there is a dedicated set of FL Statutes and gives specifically enumerated powers to the "State Health Official" who I believe is the Surgeon General. That's a whole other can of worms.

A liability shield would have to be a law and I don't think it is similar to the medical tort reform attempt. I assume that was tossed because it treated physicians differently than other people (although I'd have to research).
COVID-related fines aren’t all that much, at least in my state. Tort liability is a different story, although I don’t think lawsuits will be successful. I’m not familiar with the tort reform attempt mentioned earlier.

SoFloMagic

One of our very good friends has had his immediate family (daughter, son-in-law, 2 grandkids) over literally 2-3x a week for dinner to hang out, etc. since pandemic started. 3 weeks ago they all came down with covid - even the 3 year old and 1 year old. My friend ended up in the hospital, and got anti-body injection. Was pretty sick. All recovered with minimal side effects. (still no sense of smell or taste for him.) I can't imagine Disney dropping facemark requirement in the near future, with so many people not vaccinated, or not taking the vaccine for whatever reason. I will wear my facemask for quite a while whenever I go out near other people- even if facemarks are not required- as I do not know if they have been vaccinated or not. That is my new "normal" for a while.
agreed. I imagine once disney no longer mandates them I may continue to wear them in crowded indoor spaces for a bit. If nothing else, it should stop the disney colds. Speaking of which, I'm fairly confident that covid was spreading at disney around the time of festival of the arts 2020. I remember a day walking around Epcot where everyone had this nasty cough. I got it too, and when talking to the doctor he prescribed a steroid inhaler in addition to tamiflu and said the flu seemed to be causing shortness of breath that year.

_caleb

My favorite part is how you say it's a shame that people aren't working together and are instead people pushing political agendas... and then in the next sentence label everyone who thinks kids should just be back in school like normal as "deniers".
What's a better word for those who are pushing to send kids back to schools before those schools can control the spread of the virus?

Chomama

What's a better word for those who are pushing to send kids back to schools before those schools can control the spread of the virus?
I mean our kids have been in school full time since august. I’m not a denier at all and have barely left the house in a year but have allowed my kids to go to school. They have followed protocols and have had 12 cases thus year in k-8 school. It can been done

_caleb

I mean our kids have been in school full time since august. I’m not a denier at all and have barely left the house in a year but have allowed my kids to go to school. They have followed protocols and have had 12 cases thus year in k-8 school. It can been done
Right. Many schools have been able to open safely. But people are pushing for kids to go back into even those schools that aren't ready (many still have no plan, no distancing/shield infrastructure, unwilling and unvaccinated faculty/staff, etc.).

Chomama

Right. Many schools have been able to open safely. But people are pushing for kids to go back into even those schools that aren't ready (many still have no plan, no distancing/shield infrastructure, unwilling and unvaccinated faculty/staff, etc.).
Agreed totally. It’s such a cruddy situation that is so much more grey than black and white, unfortunately. As a parent I would be very frustrated with a school district that had no plan a year into this thing. As a teacher I would be equally frustrated to be called to work in a district with no plan. It is a lose lose. I wish we could have an honest dialogue about what works and what doesn’t wrt schools being open. It’s complex but it can be done. You just have to be willing to try new things and make concessions. This year hasn’t been ideal and our kids haven’t had a typical in person school year (lunch in their seat, no field trips, no library, no after school activities or sports, etc etc) but it is been way better than being at home 24/7. I have a hard time understanding why Americans have been so inflexible this year. We can adapt and we should!

Tom P.

I am not a Covid denier. I actually had Covid in October. My uncle has been in the hospital and rehabilitation with Covid for going on four moths. A co-worker's father-in-law died of Covid earlier this year. My wife and I haven't been to a restaurant in over a year. We didn't go through with our planned trip to Walt Disney World last year because of Covid concerns. And I am getting my first vaccine shot this Thursday. So, no, I am not a denier.

But all of the evidence that I've seen suggests that at least students in K-8, if not K-12, can be in school in person right now with minimal risk to either students or staff. And also all the evidence I've seen suggests the mental health toll on kids, not to mention the educational toll, of being in a remote learning environment is extremely high. No, the risk of being in school is not zero. But the risk of being at home is not zero either.

Now, you and I can disagree about some of the specifics. But it is not fair to suggest that someone is a Covid "denier" just because they have an opinion that kids should be back in school.

TrainsOfDisney

And also all the evidence I've seen suggests the mental health toll on kids, not to mention the educational toll, of being in a remote learning environment is extremely high.

I wonder if there is just as much evidence that points to the opposite conclusion?

I’m sure some kids do better / worse in each environment depending on a crazy amount of factors.

Tom P.

This is very coincidental timing, but this just popped up in my Twitter feed. It is an article written by the researchers whose data the CDC used in their school guidelines document. The researchers say that the CDC misinterpreted their data. And they say that the science shows it is safe to re-open schools now.

oceanbreeze77

What’s the point of having a vaccine passport but then not making it required? Maybe their plan is to require a negative Covid test unless you have been vaccinated. Seems like a possible plan.

They can't require it until enough supply is available for a majority of people, and obtainability is easy, that won't be for a while. We may get the supply in a few months, but there are other logistics that go into it as well. Volunteers, vaccine sites, appointment times, etc., there are still kinks to be worked out. We will get there eventually, hopefully by early/mid summer, but I think this call is the build up for an eventual hard vaccine requirement, maybe by the new year.

seascape

According to the NY Times improvement continues is most states. Florida is down to 23 cases per 100,000 but would be at 22 if they used the 2021 estimated population rather that the 2020 estimate. Anyway, the 3 states of NY, NJ and RI are horrible and the only states with more than 24 per 100,000. In fact NY and NY, still at 37 are now 54.2% higher than number 4 South Carolina and 60.9% higher than Florida using the NY Times numbers. Yes, the people of NY and NJ are doing a terrible job and need to do a better job. There is no excuse because South Carolina was the worst state just a couple of weeks ago and has dropped significantly but my neighbors are proving how poor they are on healthy living. No excuse! Take your shot, wear a mask. wash your hands. Why are these 3 states the only states not improving? Answer is simple, stupidity.

3 States in the 30s
7 States 20 to 24 including DC with 23
37 States including 10 to 19
4 States in single digits

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom