Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaximumEd

Got the call yesterday to inform me that I’m scheduled for my first dose April 5th. My wife is a nurse, so is already fully vaccinated. My Dad gets his second dose today. I’m beyond excited because I haven’t stepped inside his house in a year and have had to make do with sitting outside at a distance.

tpac24

What's a better word for those who are pushing to send kids back to schools before those schools can control the spread of the virus?

I mean our kids have been in school full time since august. I’m not a denier at all and have barely left the house in a year but have allowed my kids to go to school. They have followed protocols and have had 12 cases thus year in k-8 school. It can been done
My son has been full time since August as well. They have not had to shut down once and there have been no out breaks with the students or teachers. I live in a very red state and the teachers unions don't have a big hold here so I think that is the difference.

_caleb

I am not a Covid denier. I actually had Covid in October. My uncle has been in the hospital and rehabilitation with Covid for going on four moths. A co-worker's father-in-law died of Covid earlier this year. My wife and I haven't been to a restaurant in over a year. We didn't go through with our planned trip to Walt Disney World last year because of Covid concerns. And I am getting my first vaccine shot this Thursday. So, no, I am not a denier.

But all of the evidence that I've seen suggests that at least students in K-8, if not K-12, can be in school in person right now with minimal risk to either students or staff. And also all the evidence I've seen suggests the mental health toll on kids, not to mention the educational toll, of being in a remote learning environment is extremely high. No, the risk of being in school is not zero. But the risk of being at home is not zero either.

Now, you and I can disagree about some of the specifics. But it is not fair to suggest that someone is a Covid "denier" just because they have an opinion that kids should be back in school.
The “deniers” are those who seem to think every school is ready to welcome kids back to class. Many inner-city schools were barely fit for use before the pandemic: overcrowding, bad HVAC systems, low teacher morale, no money for plastic shields, no working solution for health screening, etc.

The people who have been pushing (for months!) for all schools to “just” reopen are in denial of these realities.

Some schools have been able to reopen safely. Others are not ready.

_caleb

My son has been full time since August as well. They have not had to shut down once and there have been no out breaks with the students or teachers. I live in a very red state and the teachers unions don't have a big hold here so I think that is the difference.
Anything that doesn’t directly affect you isn’t a problem at all, right?

Crunchie9

The “deniers” are those who seem to think every school is ready to welcome kids back to class. Many inner-city schools were barely fit for use before the pandemic: overcrowding, bad HVAC systems, low teacher morale, no money for plastic shields, no working solution for health screening, etc.

The people who have been pushing (for months!) for all schools to “just” reopen are in denial of these realities.

My kids school has done just fine throughout this pandemic and he is in school.

he hates the mask.
So do I.

DisneyCane

Of all of the mitigation that has been done, the one thing that truly does next to nothing is the plexiglass dividers. A complete waste of money. The only possible thing they do is block a sneeze or droplets from a strong cough but everybody is wearing a mask anyway.

tpac24

All the more reason why vouchers and school of choice should be available to all.

DisneyCane

Something positive to report. It doesn't look like people are avoiding the J&J vaccine in any significant numbers to try and get the "better" ones. Publix opened appointment booking specifically for J&J this morning and all were booked in a little over an hour. The Moderna appointments seem to take around 1.5 hours to be fully booked.

Looks like they administer J&J on Saturday and Sunday and Moderna Monday through Friday. It makes sense to allocate more time for Moderna because they have to administer first and second shots so the capacity is roughly half the number of people per day.

Kevin_W

Something positive to report. It doesn't look like people are avoiding the J&J vaccine in any significant numbers to try and get the "better" ones. Publix opened appointment booking specifically for J&J this morning and all were booked in a little over an hour. The Moderna appointments seem to take around 1.5 hours to be fully booked.
For most people I've talked to, "better" efficacy (at preventing all disease) is balanced by the convenience of one shot and your are done. (And the knowledge that the J&J is just as good at keeping you from being seriously ill.)

DisneyCane

For most people I've talked to, "better" efficacy (at preventing all disease) is balanced by the convenience of one shot and your are done. (And the knowledge that the J&J is just as good at keeping you from being seriously ill.)
I'm just glad that has become the prevailing thought about it. I was worried all of the efficacy stats would have people avoiding J&J.

willtravel

? Are you saying J & J is better than Pfizer because it is a one shot?

Last edited:

Chomama

Again, we agree. I live in a poor urban area and our city schools are completely ill-equipped. Thankfully the windows do open. Families in those schools were given chrome books and the option to remain virtual, thankfully. There really isn’t a practical way to use funds from the new rescue plan to help those schools open. We only have 8-9 weeks left in school for the year as is. I think, where we live, it is best to finish out as best we can and prepare to do a lot of review in the fall. This year is not salvageable. Even kids who have been in all year have had big slips in achievement b

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I think I might go for the J&J vaccine, but I haven't forgotten about their talc powder incident which really casted doubt as to whether or not they are an ethical company.

tpac24

I think I might go for the J&J vaccine, but I haven't forgotten about their talc powder incident which really casted doubt as to whether or not they are an ethical company.
That and the fact that it used cell lines from aborted fetuses in its production have many opting for the others. The Pfizer one is the one I will go with when available to me for both of those reasons even with the slight hassle of two shots.

JoeCamel

Then you could get the Merck version of the J&J?
I don't know that "ethical" and huge drug company go together. The testing alone kinda kills that.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
That and the fact that it used cell lines from aborted fetuses in its production have many opting for the others. The Pfizer one is the one I will go with when available to me for both of those reasons even with the slight hassle of two shots.
True.
Then you could get the Merck version of the J&J?
I don't know that "ethical" and huge drug company go together. The testing alone kinda kills that.
Good points there. Its not like Pfizer and Moderna are angels either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom