Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

My favorite part is how you say it's a shame that people aren't working together and are instead people pushing political agendas... and then in the next sentence label everyone who thinks kids should just be back in school like normal as "deniers".
Nope, didn't say that at all. "Though deniers are more vocal about putting kids back despite recommendations" no way does that mean everyone who is pushing are deniers. You twisted that one on me. Please don't do it again. Be kind.

My kid is back 5 days a week. I stood with our teachers and staff who were livid after being promised full immunity and break to physically make the transition only. I really am not politically driven like you implied.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Current Florida vaccine report -

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 2.36.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 2.36.45 PM.png

Darkprime

Patcheslee

Ours switching to 6am got us thinking. Then seeing pics over holiday weekends made us really reconsider. We did opt to cancel entirely since our summer trip is so soon. 6 am flights out right at DST change is too much lol
How far out did you book the flight? That's the one thing I'm a bit leary about because we had to switch from our normal airport to get a direct flight in June.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Seems just in the last few days vaccine availability has taken a big step forward. Great news for those looking forward to WDW getting back to normal soon.
Yep, and the manufacturers expect to continue to ramp up through the next few weeks so we should have even more vaccine available soon. I think in a lot of places we are a month or so away from opening vaccines to the general public. It’s exciting to see it all come together.

correcaminos

How far out did you book the flight? That's the one thing I'm a bit leary about because we had to switch from our normal airport to get a direct flight in June.
Booked end of August and it was changed in December and then again the end of January. We didn't cancel right away, but it really did put a damper on our plans. Shortly after we saw the change we were considering dropping Disney after seeing some holiday crowds and just going to Tampa instead. That failed for other reasons ;)

SoFloMagic

Actually, no, you're wrong and @CaptainAmerica is correct. There are several places in the country, including New York and California, where religious services were specifically targeted with restrictions that were significantly more harsh than any other type of gathering. This has resulted in multiple lawsuits and several cases going all the way to the Supreme Court. In at least two instances that I am aware of, the Supreme Court has already issued injunctions requiring the jurisdictions to allow religious services to resume because religious institutions were being unfairly discriminated against. When churches are closed but strip clubs are open -- which has been the case in many jurisdictions -- then, yes, it's the religious content and not the behavior that is being discriminated against.
Or are religious services uniquely dangerous due to singing, hugging, and being attended by an older population?serious question.

DisneyCane

Yep, and the manufacturers expect to continue to ramp up through the next few weeks so we should have even more vaccine available soon. I think in a lot of places we are a month or so away from opening vaccines to the general public. It’s exciting to see it all come together.
In FL, I'm expecting 55+ to be open probably 3/29, 50+ around 4/12 and then open to everybody at the beginning of May. By June hopefully appointments will be easy to find for anybody that wants to be vaccinated.

Tom P.

Or are religious services uniquely dangerous due to singing, hugging, and being attended by an older population?serious question.
If that were true -- and I don't think that it is -- that can be dealt with in more tailored approaches than forbidding all in-person religious services. The hugging would already be covered under existing social distancing mandates. And you could issue a mandate that prohibits singing in large, congregate settings. There is simply no justification for completely shutting down religious services when you are allowing other "non-essential" businesses to be open.

And regardless of whether or not you think religious services are "uniquely dangerous," you simply cannot infringe upon religious services unequally. The Supreme Court has ruled that time and again. Religious services have a unique and high level of protection under our Constitution. Any restrictions on them must be justifiable (a) not being achievable by any lesser restrictions and (b) being applied equally to religious and non-religious organizations. Many of these restrictions fail both tests.

TrainsOfDisney

If that were true -- and I don't think that it is -- that can be dealt with in more tailored approaches than forbidding all in-person religious services. The hugging would already be covered under existing social distancing mandates. And you could issue a mandate that prohibits singing in large, congregate settings. There is simply no justification for completely shutting down religious services when you are allowing other "non-essential" businesses to be open.

And regardless of whether or not you think religious services are "uniquely dangerous," you simply cannot infringe upon religious services unequally. The Supreme Court has ruled that time and again. Religious services have a unique and high level of protection under our Constitution. Any restrictions on them must be justifiable (a) not being achievable by any lesser restrictions and (b) being applied equally to religious and non-religious organizations. Many of these restrictions fail both tests.
Are you talking about a particular state that went to some extreme?

SamusAranX

I have friends who cancelled a trip for Spring Break over that. They had direct flights booked both ways months ago and the airline just changed them to one flight with 1 stop and one flight with 2 stops. When they looked to switch flights there were no direct flights available for their dates without paying a boat load or switching airlines. They are going to just wait for the Summer now.

Southwest changed my reservations three times on me back before my January trip. They actually had me on the way home laying over in Phoenix with an arrival at 2 PM local, but my connecting flight departed an hour earlier then my arrival :rolleyes: it was super frustrating calling every time to get stuff fixed

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Are CMs being put at the front of the line for vaccines? I apologize if this has already been covered..
Not in FL. Maybe in CA eventually. DeSantis is adamant that he will not prioritize essential or front line workers as per the CDC guidelines. I’m not sure where Disney CMs would fall anyway, probably in the 1C 2nd wave of workers that’s not front line essential but still public facing. That’s where food service workers would fit in and since the average CM job is similar to a fast food or restaurant worker in terms of exposure to the public I would think that’s where they would fall in. It’s possible Disney works out some sort of deal to be allowed to run their own vaccine clinic once things open to everyone.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Airline group is officially asking the Biden Administration to develop credentials that show a person was either vaccinated or tested negative. They believe it will help to revive the airline industry since flights are still down over 60% this year compared to pre-COvid. The confusing part is they are saying they don’t want vaccination to be required for Domestic or Intl flights. What’s the point of having a vaccine passport but then not making it required? Maybe their plan is to require a negative Covid test unless you have been vaccinated. Seems like a possible plan.

SoFloMagic

I'll agree that these guidelines have been patchwork and made by axe, not scalpel. If the previous administration had set unified national standards we may not have this patchwork system.

I get the "states' rights" argument, but we're also the united states, and unity around standards would have served us well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom