Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

erasure fan1

I'm sorry, I don't buy that. Third party stores pay rent to Disney and abide by rules and regs when on Disney property.
Yea I would be shocked if Disney doesn't have 100% control over every 3rd party on their property. Look at shopping malls. They call the shots from when they open, close, hours... If the mall says they are closed on Thanksgiving, you are closed. Even if you wanted to open, you can't. So I can't see Disney not having this same control on their property.

celluloid

Yea I would be shocked if Disney doesn't have 100% control over every 3rd party on their property. Look at shopping malls. They call the shots from when they open, close, hours... If the mall says they are closed on Thanksgiving, you are closed. Even if you wanted to open, you can't. So I can't see Disney not having this same control on their property.

They do have control, but they also want to remain good guys and if that store is willing to pay their employees and bring Disney money so be it, because it is the last dollars Disney will have.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

You just made the case that Disney does NOT have 100% control. There are a lot of Disney stores in shopping malls, if the Mall says you have to be open on Thanksgiving, but Disney says you cant open on Thanksgiving, who wins?

mikejs78

Premium Member
Many have provided endless factual reasons why not to panic - the high rate of mild cases not requiring hospitalization, the low fatality rate, the very specific category of those at risk (elderly and those with pre-existing conditions), the perspective of scale to other categories of fatalities - and your continued response is hysterical panic. We get it. You are afraid. Please, for your mental well being, isolate yourself.

If these current stats from South Korea (a country with detailed tracking), for example, frighten you, that's your choice.

Currently of all active cases 99% are mild and do not require hospitalization and there are currently 59 active serious cases in a country of over 50 million people.

59. Total.

For closed cases 1,137 have recovered and 75 have died.

You apparently find these facts reason to panic, I do not.

View attachment 456508
So in the graph you provide, 6% of the cases with outcome ended in death. That's about 60x the seasonal flu. Even if the death rate is a lot lower than that (it likely is, more around 1-2%) that's still 10-20x the seasonal flu death rate.

Honestly the ignorance of some people here is terrifying. I'm less afraid of Covid-19 than I am of this ignorance. Yes, the disease will be mild for most people. But it will become a vector for spreading to those at risk. This is what happened in Italy, and it completely overwhelmed their health care system, not only affecting patients who were critical with Covid-19, but patients who come in for other things as well. Let's say you had a heart attack if this outbreak becomes severe. There may not be a bed available for you because of covid-19 patients. A friend of mine is a doctor at a world-renowned hospital in Boston, and they are extremely worried about this scenario -it wouldn't take much more of an outbreak to reach this tipping point where doctors have to start deciding who receives treatment and who doesn't.

The reason S Korea has fared so well is that they completely locked down. That's what we are trying to do now, so we can stop the disease from serious spread.

Why are people so resistant to science and think they know better than the experts who have studied this stuff for years? The only prudent measure at this point is social isolation, not to wipe out the virus (that's impossible at this point) but to flatten the curve so that our health care system can cope.

Lilofan

I get Springs staying open but why keep the resorts open if the parks are closed? I imagine most everyone that had a trip planned between March 16 through the end of March isn’t going to come down and do a resort only stay.

Guess I could see them trying to entice locals to do a staycation at cheap rates??
WDW changed the status of resorts remaining open. They will be closing along with the theme parks.

erasure fan1

You just made the case that Disney does NOT have 100% control. There are a lot of Disney stores in shopping malls, if the Mall says you have to be open on Thanksgiving, but Disney says you cant open on Thanksgiving, who wins?
I'm not sure I follow your logic. If the mall says you need to be open, you are open. The situation that was given, Disney is the mall owner. So most likely, Disney is calling the shots. If one of my local malls says it's closing because of the virus, even if Disney wanted to keep its store open, they couldn't. So I'm not sure how I proved Disney doesn't have control over THEIR property.

Prince-1

Think you need to calm down a little bit.

Oh I do appreciate your concern but I am very calm. Also I am very realistic and it would be nice to see large gatherings like this come to an end for at least a few weeks.

Btw, do you disagree with my previous post??

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Oh I do appreciate your concern but I am very calm. Also I am very realistic and it would be nice to see large gatherings like this come to an end for at least a few weeks.
That's fine and you can put it in perspective that other human contact will not result in a death sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom