Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince-1

You do realize that even if you are stricken with this the vast majority of people experience mild to moderate symptoms. Many people may have already been infected and not even realize they had this.

And you do realize that healthy people who have it can easily transfer it to older people and people who have chronic medical conditions. The two groups most likely to have adverse reactions to the virus. Luckily local governments are taking it A LOT more serious then you and the ability to be in large groups are starting to disappear.

celluloid

Your position is anedoctal, the WHO rating is fact based.

But, it is true that Sicily and Naples (Campania) could do much better, as this picture shows:
View attachment 456538

Not to everyone. But it has been a death sentence to over 6,500 already with a lot more to come.

Yes, to those any upper respitory infection like bronchitis or the common cold, would do it. It is great if we are extra careful around those that are immune deficient, but the world should never panic. More harm comes from a global economic panic.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Iran and Italy, while it isn't good, it has not been apocalyptic
You must not be following the news. It is apocolyptic in Italy. Not enough beds to cover the critical patients. Doctors being forced to choose who lives and who dies. Cases and deaths growing at am exponential, not linear rate. As I said, it's not about the quality of the health care system. It's about the rate of spread and the capacity of the health care system.

South Korea only fared better because they locked things down on day 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And since this issue has become a prevalent one, not a single person has reported any illness as a result of being at WDW
Thank God and I hope that stays true. We saw what happened in New Rochelle when one person attended a few group events. If even a few infected people spent a few days in the parks, on packed busses and monorails and in restaurants at WDW (especially buffets with shared utensils) it could have been a real disaster. I feel especially bad for the CMs who know they are facing so much uncertainty for their immediate future and still had to show up for the last few days at risk of getting infected. Especially the older CMs in the higher risk group.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You must not be following the news. It is apocolyptic in Italy. Not enough beds to cover the critical patients. Doctors being forced to choose who lives and who dies. Cases and deaths growing at am exponential, not linear rate. As I said, it's not about the quality of the health care system. It's about the rate of spread and the capacity of the health care system.

South Korea only fared better because they locked things down on day 1.

Get your head out of the sand. It's not what this virus is doing but what it will do if we don't get in front of it and check it.
The mass graves they are digging in Iran are so large they are visible from space. I‘d call that apocalyptic too, but what do I know.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
And you do realize that healthy people who have it can easily transfer it to older people and people who have chronic medical conditions. The two groups most likely to have adverse reactions to the virus. Luckily local governments are taking it A LOT more serious then you and the ability to be in large groups are starting to disappear.

People that have those levels of preexisting conditions are also susceptible to a variety of other afflictions as well. They are already in the high risk category for influenza for example which although is less contagious, is much more prevalent than CV-19.

You and I are not going to agree on this. I do think that you are getting caught up in the 24/7 news cycle and panic that is being hurled our way. Turn off the TV and put the social media down for a little bit. If you want to isolate yourself because it makes you feel better than do so. I have a job, I have to pay bills, and I just don't see the necessity to get out sorts over this. This will pass.

Legendary

We need to really educate ourselves and take responsibility. This is way beyond the flu. You can’t just look at the numbers in a broad spectrum. The number of cases for the flu decrease in March into spring and summer. We can not say for certain that this is the case for Corona. As of now it is increasing at an alarming rate with no indication of leveling off. You can be infected with absolutely no symptoms and unknowingly spreading it to others.
Actions speak louder than words or data. Our local, state and federal governments are reacting strongly. Why? Do you think they are telling us everything? You are naive to think that they are sharing everything with the American people. Do you think China is giving us accurate numbers? Again our government is placing restrictions for a reason.
Disney is in the business of making money. They are shutting their doors. Doesn’t that tell you something?
Make your own decisions but now is the time to think of others and not just yourselves. It’s better to be proactive.
Sorry, don’t really want to preach but it’s just so frustrating to hear people go on and on about how they are healthy and need to go on vacation. It’s not about you it’s about our Country as a whole and we all need to come together to stay healthy.

mikejs78

Premium Member
This is the key point. Virus spread is exponential, not linear. By being cavalier about whether or not one catches it, one could be condemning someone else to death.

This article illustrates the math and why doctors are so worried about this.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!

mikejs78

Premium Member
People that have those levels of preexisting conditions are also susceptible to a variety of other afflictions as well. They are already in the high risk category for influenza for example which although is less contagious, is much more prevalent than CV-19.

You and I are not going to agree on this. I do think that you are getting caught up in the 24/7 news cycle and panic that is being hurled our way. Turn off the TV and put the social media down for a little bit. If you want to isolate yourself because it makes you feel better than do so. I have a job, I have to pay bills, and I just don't see the necessity to get out sorts over this. This will pass.
I don't pay attention to the 24/7 news cycles. I talk to doctors and scientists whom I'm aquatinted with. I live in the Boston area, near some of the best hospitals and scientific research universities in the world. And all the doctors I've talked to, from some of the best hospitals in the world, are saying that if we don't isolate ourselves, it will be a disaster in two months time.

I'm not usually one for heavy government intervention into things. But seeing opinions like this and cavalier attitudes about a national health crisis make me hope that our leaders mandate isolation, because as long as there are people not taking this seriously, this will be disasterous.

Isher

The mass graves they are digging in Iran are so large they are visible from space. I‘d call that apocalyptic too, but what do I know.

Do we know for certain mass graves are being dug in Iran? Our society has been pretty prone to taking photos and videos shared via social media out of context (ie Covington). How do we know for sure we’re not taking those satellite images out of context?

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

Sorry that's not entirely accurate about rationing of care. The WP has this covered fairly well and the idea of rationed care is being discussed as a possible option. (Sorry it's behind a paywall)

Spiking U.S. coronavirus cases could force rationing decisions ...www.washingtonpost.com › health › 2020/03/15 › coronavirus-rationin...

mikejs78

Premium Member
The problem I have with that simulator is that it assumes 100% spread on contact. That's not how it works in real life.
There's not 100% spread, but the simulator is still illustrative. The curve is exponential, not linear, as has been shown in the actual trends from other countries. Only when isolation techniques have been employed (S Korea, China eventually) has the curve slowed. Italy has now engaged in full isolation. Their curve should (hopefully) slow in a couple of weeks.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Sorry that's not entirely accurate about rationing of care. The WP has this covered fairly well and the idea of rationed care is being discussed as a possible option. (Sorry it's behind a paywall)

Spiking U.S. coronavirus cases could force rationing decisions ...www.washingtonpost.com › health › 2020/03/15 › coronavirus-rationin...
That article doesn't contradict anything I've said. Obviously the goal is to avoid it - which is why all the closures, social distancing, etc. But it's a very real possibility if the disease goes unchecked. Again, it's happening in Italy as we speak.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
There's not 100% spread, but the simulator is still illustrative. The curve is exponential, not linear, as has been shown in the actual trends from other countries. Only when isolation techniques have been employed (S Korea, China eventually) has the curve slowed. Italy has now engaged in full isolation. Their curve should (hopefully) slow in a couple of weeks.
Well, not every cat in the world will knock things off of flat surfaces, either, but here's some video that will make you think they do.

Piebald

Do we know for certain mass graves are being dug in Iran? Our society has been pretty prone to taking photos and videos shared via social media out of context (ie Covington). How do we know for sure we’re not taking those satellite images out of context?
An image of massive dig sites adjacent to a cemetery =/= some misinterpreted kid smirking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom