Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

How many of your coworkers still show up to your office sick? Yea you may not touch anything and wash your hands but doesn't mean you won't catch it. Now you caught it, you spread to your spouse and kids who will see their teachers etc. Now one of their teachers are immunocompromised. One down. Another is elderly. Two down.

Everyone is so focused on the first order, they are totally ignoring second or third order effects of what this could do.
What's scary is I worked in restaurants while going to school. The staff at times come to work sick and what goes on in a kitchen would make one think twice about eating out.

Last edited:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Actually was in a debate with someone about this. If you walk into a Disney restroom that does not have a door, walk up to a self flushing urinal or toilet. Only touch yourself while in there, and walk out... You may carry something out to others but are unlikely to catch anything from someone else while in there. Of course this would only apply to males who do not need to touch the seat or anything else to urinate..
Seems the guy I was speaking with has a valid argument for his own safety but not so great for others..

Funny thing about urinals, unless you're the only one using it someone else's germs may jump out while things are flowing.

:eek::depressed::hungover::joyfull:

Rescue Ranger

We are all booked at Polynesian in DVC end of April into May for 2 weeks. NOTHING will stop me from going on this dream vacation. I don't care if I have to wear a body suit!!!!

I'll be crushed if they close it all down :(

The other parks worldwide I can more easily see this happening but WDW truly is a world in itself!! To close it all down would be an astronomical undertaking and hit.

2020 has been a horrific year globally. It's been one thing after another. It's unbelievable.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
American live to work not work to live. Now the work culture expects you to check and respond to email/text 24/7 at times.

Only when an employee or their peers enable the behavior. People that let management walk all over them are responsible for their own destinies.

There's obviously a necessity if you're in an operational role and it's required for KTBR, but you are also paid a premium for that position. If you're not, that's a negotiation failure on your part both in work life balance and salary.

Some people will certainly laugh and "not where I work", but again, that's on them for enabling it.

Phil12

1583175009208.png

1583174437828.png

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Only when an employee or their peers enable the behavior. People that let management walk all over them are responsible for their own destinies.

There's obviously a necessity if you're in an operational role and it's required for KTBR, but you are also paid a premium for that position. If you're not, that's a negotiation failure on your part both in work life balance and salary.

Some people will certainly laugh and "not where I work", but again, that's on them for enabling it.

Regardless of this, it's still a fact that in general, American work culture expects far more from employees than most other Western countries. Less vacation, expectations to answer emails after work hours, etc. at least in any type of white collar corporate position. Blue collar positions have their own separate issues.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Regardless of this, it's still a fact that in general, American work culture expects far more from employees than most other Western countries. Less vacation, expectations to answer emails after work hours, etc. at least in any type of white collar corporate position. Blue collar positions have their own separate issues.
If you're uncomfortable with your company's stance on sick days, either (a) start your own company, or (b) find a job that offers nearly unlimited sick days that accrue and never expire.

UNCgolf

If you're uncomfortable with your company's stance on sick days, either (a) start your own company, or (b) find a job that offers nearly unlimited sick days that accrue and never expire.

I thought it was obvious that that post wasn't talking about sick days. European employees typically have it much better than American employees in almost every way.

I actually don't have to worry about sick days (to an extent) as an attorney at a large firm. As long as I make my billable hours it doesn't really matter how many days I'm in the office.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Regardless of this, it's still a fact that in general, American work culture expects far more from employees than most other Western countries. Less vacation, expectations to answer emails after work hours, etc.

No doubt there are some expectations there beyond what other western countries demand, but it's not a dire situation that means people can not ever take time off when they're sick. From a risk perspective, you would have to be a complete idiot as a manager to expect a sick employee to report to work.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

They don't even need to be unlimited, just negotiate enough to cover your expectations.

UNCgolf

No doubt there are some expectations there beyond what other western countries demand, but it's not a dire situation that means people can not ever take time off when they're sick. From a risk perspective, you would have to be a complete idiot as a manager to expect a sick employee to report to work.

I agree, but there seem to be quite a lot of moronic managers out there -- especially in retail positions, which is the last place people should be coming to work sick.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I thought it was obvious that that post wasn't talking about sick days. European employees typically have it much better than American employees in almost every way.

I actually don't have to worry about sick days (to an extent) as an attorney at a large firm. As long as I make my billable hours it doesn't really matter how many days I'm in the office.
Well, sick days is just one aspect of American work culture that many people deplore, so thanks for being a foil for my point even if you don't feel it was particularly applicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom