Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So that means two things:

- they're anticipating this lasting until May
- Even if it doesn't last that long, the parks will be so scarce, hours will be so scace, that for the first time in forever, the CP staffing is not needed.
Correct.
Seems like they’re ending the College Program early. I was shocked at first, then someone told me this round ends mid April.
Correct. But what about the replacements?

The parks are likely to be very different once they reopen.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You are ridiculous. It’s people like you who are part of the problem and why this is has become a media circus and we have no toilet paper. There’s no way hotels will be “mothballed” and they will leave the water parks closed in the summer in Florida. You know you can’t get clicks in a forum, right?
I don’t know about which park will be closed for how long, but when WDW re-opens it will be a staggered opening. It will take time for people to decide it’s OK to travel. Many will need to book flights and arrange work schedules. Many won’t pull their kids from school since they are missing so much time already. As the crowds are ramping back up it‘s very likely that the parks won’t be fully open. My gut feeling is it may not be whole parks closed but parts of each park. Less popular restaurants won’t open, less popular and/or operationally expensive rides or shows may not come back right away and park hours will likely be shorter. This is just like what they do in less popular seasons but to a more extreme measure. As far as hotels they may choose to keep a whole resort or 2 closed or may just close sections of each hotel. It’s going to take time to ramp occupancy up.

Lilofan

I don’t know about which park will be closed for how long, but when WDW re-opens it will be a staggered opening. It will take time for people to decide it’s OK to travel. Many will need to book flights and arrange work schedules. Many won’t pull their kids from school since they are missing so much time already. As the crowds are ramping back up it‘s very likely that the parks won’t be fully open. My gut feeling is it may not be whole parks closed but parts of each park. Less popular restaurants won’t open, less popular and/or operationally expensive rides or shows may not come back right away and park hours will likely be shorter. This is just like what they do in less popular seasons but to a more extreme measure. As far as hotels they may choose to keep a whole resort or 2 closed or may just close sections of each hotel. It’s going to take time to ramp occupancy up.
If the guests come back like gangbusters all bets are off and Disney needs to have staffing to support or else it won't be pretty.

seascape

You are ridiculous. It’s people like you who are part of the problem and why this is has become a media circus and we have no toilet paper. There’s no way hotels will be “mothballed” and they will leave the water parks closed in the summer in Florida. You know you can’t get clicks in a forum, right?
Why? Universal is not opening their newest hotel until after this is over and then they will decide on a new opening date.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
There are still a lot of people burying their heads in the sand on this. This is an unprecedented health crisis, and an unfathomable financial crisis. Disney is going to be SLOW for quite a while. Like, a real long while. People are losing fortunes in the stock market. Small businesses, which are already a house of cards, are having those bottom cards pulled out every day, only a matter of time before they collapse. I could go on and on here, but in the interest of simplicity and stress management, I'll just say this. WDW is in for a 9/11 type slow down. We'll see how long it lasts, but count on a year AT LEAST.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
F67D2553-82F5-4427-9EA8-D9DC968540EF.jpeg

techgeek

The entirety of Port Orleans was mothballed in the months following 9/11. I don’t have a duration off the top of my head but it was a significant downtime. Also after 9/11 and later in 2008/09 many multi-building resorts saw capacity cut as much as 50% as whole buildings / sections were mothballed.

Disney has already also set precedent to close at least one of the water parks, beyond the regular ‘maintenance month’ closing, for cost savings and demand. The water parks would likely be some of the last things to re-open. High staffing costs per capita and there may be a stigma against swimming with that many other people for some time.

HongKongFooy

There’s no way hotels will be “mothballed” and they will leave the water parks closed in the summer in Florida.

There's no way???

It's quite possible.
Things happen, surprising things happen from time to time: Miracle Mets of '69, Trump winning presidency, comedy man with fame and fortune R. Williams kills himself, Macarena and Gangnam Style become the global sensations. Things happen, surprising things.

We best move on to think about probability not possibility because we know there is a chance that WDW will stay closed way past summer.

Lilofan

There are still a lot of people burying their heads in the sand on this. This is an unprecedented health crisis, and an unfathomable financial crisis. Disney is going to be SLOW for quite a while. Like, a real long while. People are losing fortunes in the stock market. Small businesses, which are already a house of cards, are having those bottom cards pulled out every day, only a matter of time before they collapse. I could go on and on here, but in the interest of simplicity and stress management, I'll just say this. WDW is in for a 9/11 type slow down. We'll see how long it lasts, but count on a year AT LEAST.
If your scenario plays out, there are a number of individuals that live paycheck to paycheck in the tourism industry. Their lives and current living conditions ( ability to make mortgage payments, monthly rent) will be extremely challenging.

Nubs70

Sigh. I am not doing ok today y’all. I know I’ve been all ‘me me me’ and I promise on a normal day I’m not so self absorbed but I’m just TERRIFIED about the future.

So today they told my husband he’ll be working 2 days a week (paid for 5). He will be switching back and forth with his other leader peer. The crew will be working 1 day a week (paid for 5). Managers will be 2-3 days. This is til the end of March presumably.

So anyhow... he’s talked to a few peers and they all seem to think they’ll be paid til whenever Disney opens and that there will not be lay offs (at least in his department/job title) and if there are he’s high enough up in seniority that they won’t get to him. Furthermore his coworker was saying his speciality costs too much to retrain (licenses, special training for pyro and what not).

I go through feeling ok and not feeling ok. I know it’s not all about me and that others are scared too 😖
Work 2_paid for 5 and that's a problem??

He can go get side job for the other 3 days

disneygeek90

39 new cases confirmed in Florida yesterday, numbers released late last night, the biggest one day jump for the state. One additional case in Orange County. Brevard/Miami seems to be turning into a potential hot spot and it seems unclear if a lot of the cases are travel related.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How do people benefit by saying “Parks will closed thru May” or “This will last all summer” etc etc etc?
Maybe some just enjoy panic...but, no one has inside info on how long the parks will be closed.
Nobody really benefits from any of this discussion. It’s all hypothetical and guesses. There is no inside information on this. Chapek and Iger know no more than you and I on when WDW will re-open.

disney4life2008

So, any guess what will take place during the down time? Will they even do anything at all? Finish the castle makeover? Continue work on the new attractions? Please PLEASE let them use this time to fix the issues with ROTR!
The entirety of Port Orleans was mothballed in the months following 9/11. I don’t have a duration off the top of my head but it was a significant downtime. Also after 9/11 and later in 2008/09 many multi-building resorts saw capacity cut as much as 50% as whole buildings / sections were mothballed.

Disney has already also set precedent to close at least one of the water parks, beyond the regular ‘maintenance month’ closing, for cost savings and demand. The water parks would likely be some of the last things to re-open. High staffing costs per capita and there may be a stigma against swimming with that many other people for some time.
As soon as WDW reopens, they will come. Just as mobbed as before.

I agree. I think it will slowdown initially but unlike 2008 and even more so 2001, Disney has appealed to the masses. They will come back.

Lilofan

Folk need disposable income, not disposable tissue, for that scenario to go down.

If the global economy goes idle for months with evaporated 401's millions of once eligible guests will no longer have the financial means, even with deep Disney discounting.
I know a number of people who don't even have 401k or even know what it really is. They would be the ones to support Disney and come enjoy when Disney reopens.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
If your scenario plays out, there are a number of individuals that live paycheck to paycheck in the tourism industry. Their lives and current living conditions ( ability to make mortgage payments, monthly rent) will be extremely challenging.
Correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom