Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcoachable

Hurley walked people through what the experience will be like from the time they enter the stadium, noting that they ticket holders will be going through what he termed as the "Disneyland experience". For example, fans have to have their masks on and be six feet apart when in line prior to entering the stadium. "You will go up the escalator, you are going to see hand stickers on the escalator hand rails" he said. "Don't go an escalator until you see a sticker. Be socially distant. You will see stickers in concession stands to remind people to stay socially distant, and you’ll see signs all around the eating and drinking areas,” said Hurley.”

From Gigem247 a Texas A&M fan site. Quoted because they mention how they are going about entering the football stadium comparing it to like being at “Disneyland”. I find it interesting that all eyes are on how TWDC is handling their business. TWDC will be the standard Model as we move forward and navigate this new time. It is no wonder they are taking it slow and steady.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hurley walked people through what the experience will be like from the time they enter the stadium, noting that they ticket holders will be going through what he termed as the "Disneyland experience". For example, fans have to have their masks on and be six feet apart when in line prior to entering the stadium. "You will go up the escalator, you are going to see hand stickers on the escalator hand rails" he said. "Don't go an escalator until you see a sticker. Be socially distant. You will see stickers in concession stands to remind people to stay socially distant, and you’ll see signs all around the eating and drinking areas,” said Hurley.”

From Gigem247 a Texas A&M fan site. Quoted because they mention how they are going about entering the football stadium comparing it to like being at “Disneyland”. I find it interesting that all eyes are on how TWDC is handling their business. TWDC will be the standard Model as we move forward and navigate this new time. It is no wonder they are taking it slow and steady.
I agree. Disney has done the best possible with the bad hand they were dealt. Even if the financial numbers look grim in the short term they have maintained their reputation as a standard setter with the highest level of quality.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

2 participants? Is he counting the one from July who had undiagnosed MS? unless this is something new I think that guy better check his facts.

“The Oxford-AstraZeneca study had been previously stopped in July for several days after a participant developed neurological symptoms that turned out to be an undiagnosed case of multiple sclerosis that researchers said was unrelated to the vaccine.“

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1600605758428.png

1600605780880.png

Chi84

Premium Member
That is interesting. I don't know if we can say WDW would be not be open if it was in Sweden because Sweden did not have to address that issue. In my opinion, this virus is too unpredictable to conclude that what works in one place would work in another, but it's certainly valuable to know this information. In the context of a discussion board, it does no good to rehash what could or should have been done, but it's a discussion that needs to be had by the experts so we know how to move forward.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Interesting opinion piece, but at least on one major point, inaccurate:
“Here, after all, is proof that a country can contain the coronavirus without depriving children of an education, piling up backlogs of non-coronavirus medical conditions, or leaving a smoking crater where its economy used to be.

The bold part is just simply not factually accurate. Their economy is in the toilet along with the rest of the world. While the government decided not to mandate stay at home orders plenty of Swedes still chose to stay away from shops, restaurants and gyms. This is reflected in their economic stress right now and also in the 9% unemployment rate which is worse than any of their Nordic neighbors. In other words the major difference between Sweden and the US is that our government mandated businesses close while in Sweden they left it up to the people and the people chose to stay home. There is a false narrative out there that Sweden went on with life as usual but it’s really not true. They had a major reduction of mobility too And a major hit to their economy. It was just voluntary as opposed to mandated.

Chi84

Premium Member
If the aim is to stop gatherings of over fifty people (I don’t believe they’ve yet raised that limit to 500, though there’s talk of it), a place as popular and packed as WDW would surely be the last to reopen.
Well in that case I’m much happier to be here in the US where the restrictions are so much lighter and people are allowed to visit WDW! Let’s hope we can get back to normal as soon as possible.

LittleBuford

Well in that case I’m much happier to be here in the US where the restrictions are so much lighter and people are allowed to visit WDW! Let’s hope we can get back to normal as soon as possible.

On this, I side with the Swedes. I think it’s bonkers that WDW is open right now, but I respect that you and others feel differently.

ETA: But I do agree with your final sentence wholeheartedly!

ImperfectPixie

On this, I side with the Swedes. I think it’s bonkers that WDW is open right now, but I respect that you and others feel differently.
I'm straddling the fence...glad to see them open and doing so as safely as they can (also better than most places are), but at the same time, horrified at the idea of attending a theme park during a wide-spread pandemic.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What would be a very interesting study to do would be how much activity and what type of activity people in the US are doing vs people in Sweden. The assumption is people there are doing a lot more, but I wonder if that’s really true. WDW is a good example of how that may not be true. Are they allowing fans in the stands for their popular sports? Stuff like that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm straddling the fence...glad to see them open and doing so as safely as they can (also better than most places are), but at the same time, horrified at the idea of attending a theme park during a wide-spread pandemic.
I was pretty skeptical about them opening up in July during that huge spike but it seems to have worked out ok and I do feel bad for the workers. At least in central FL tourism is such a huge part of the economy that it’s hard to keep everything shut down even if it would be better if people didn’t travel as much.

Gringrinngghost

For the Record, Washington Examiner was made to be the conservative answer to the progressive leaning Washington Post that has had an abysmal record on Science such as Climate Change and is very Pro-Trump and more on the Opinion side of things.

In other news from Australia...
1600621333585.png

Here is how Sweden figures out deaths as per a medical trade journal https://www.contagionlive.com/news/how-sweden-calculates-covid19-deaths and how mass quarantine impacts public health https://www.contagionlive.com/news/how-mass-quarantine-impacts-public-health

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom