Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

Unfortunately, even with a vaccine this pandemic is going to exist for years or forever. Do you think you'll ever feel comfortable going to WDW or any other place again?
What @GoofGoof said. It will get to a point, however long it may take, that the virus is no longer at the pandemic stage...even without a vaccine. There are tons of variables that will change the trajectory of the virus - any treatments we discover or develop, large numbers of people who are/were asymptomatic and already have immunity, that a small exposure may reduce the chances of severe illness, virus mutations, etc.

I'm not staying home. I go to the store if we need something. My husband is back at work. My kids are both back at school (one hybrid and one 5 days in-person). We're just carefully weighing the risks associated with the choices we're making.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I’m seeing the makings of a new EPCOT pavilion featuring a restaurant serving Swedish meatballs and Swedish Fish prepared by the Swedish Chef and served by the Swedish bikini team. Sign me up;)
Sounds like IKEA.

Ok, I’m not really mocking them. I am totally fine with Sweden. A great country from what I hear and hope to visit someday.

Lora Baines Bradley

I saw this at the new Vineland I-4 target today. I could be reading too much into it but is this from the bubble?

Attachments

• 1519964D-36A7-4EF3-B043-B285EDEDD710.jpeg
    1519964D-36A7-4EF3-B043-B285EDEDD710.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 133

DisneyCane

With an effective vaccine there is no reason to believe that Covid-19 will be an epidemic or pandemic for years to come and certainly not forever. Even without a vaccine as treatments improve and more knowledge is gained there is no reason to believe Covid would just continue as a pandemic forever.
With a 50% effective vaccine that some percentage won't take? There isn't any highly effective treatment for a lot of viruses.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
With a 50% effective vaccine that some percentage won't take? There isn't any highly effective treatment for a lot of viruses.
The virus won’t be “all but gone” like small pox or polio immediately but even a 50% effective vaccine could be enough to reduce it from pandemic/epidemic status. It’s going to take some time to vaccinate billions of people worldwide, but it will eventually happen. There’s also no guarantee that the vaccine will only be 50% effective. That’s the minimum threshold before the FDA will approve it but it’s likely to be much higher.

If there’s no vaccine and no increase in effective treatments then I think a lot of tough decisions need to be made. Masks, distancing and enhanced contact tracing (including using apps and technology) are likely with us for a long time or maybe forever and the worldwide economic depression could last years. I don’t believe that will happen, but we will figure it all out in the rare case it does.

corsairk09

I'm in the middle. We have a family trip planned for May, and I'm fine with lower capacity, park reservations, somewhat reduced experiences, social distancing, and the like. But if they're still requiring people to wear masks outside or put them on 2-year-olds, we'll cancel. I don't think that will be the case, but no one knows for sure. Things are looking better - let's hope it continues.
I totally get you. We had to cancel last March... explained to my three year old that Mickey and his pals were sick and we had to wait to go see them. After going back and forth, We finally decided to go two weeks ago. No Regrets!!!! Rode all the rides and loved being able to walk around without people in my personal space. I actually hope some things like mobile ordering and calvacades stick around. As far as the masks.... some people say they stopped noticing them during the day. That was not my experience. The masks sucked there is no other way to say it. But I saw it as a trade off for shorter lines. In my opinion I would rather wear a mask and wait 20 minutes for Pirates of the Caribbean over Labor Day weekend. Hope your May trip works out!!

Polkadotdress

Masks, distancing and enhanced contact tracing (including using apps and technology) are likely with us for a long time or maybe forever and the worldwide economic depression could last years.

Wait...what? Contact tracing? With apps and technology? Where in the US does that occur, as every time I hear a conversation about it or see something posted online,the content is usually “Over my dead body would I allow that app to be installed on my phone.” It’s such a sad state of affairs here in the US that some people aren’t cooperating when being called by a tracer or even worse, they won’t even answer their phones when called.

So, no...contact tracing is not going to be with us for the foreseeable future, as we can’t even get it off the ground after trying for 6 months.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Wait...what? Contact tracing? With apps and technology? Where in the US does that occur, as every time I hear a conversation about it or see something posted online,the content is usually “Over my dead body would I allow that app to be installed on my phone.” It’s such a sad state of affairs here in the US that some people aren’t cooperating when being called by a tracer or even worse, they won’t even answer their phones when called.

So, no...contact tracing is not going to be with us for the foreseeable future, as we can’t even get it off the ground after trying for 6 months.
Things change. Right now people resist a lot of things because they feel there is an alternative. In the scenario the other poster has painted where the pandemic rages on forever or at least for years (With no improvement in treatments and no vaccine) people will need to evolve. When the choice is keep living like this (not possible long term) or adapt to things like frequent, rapid testing and robust tracing in order to get back to live sports, concerts, fully open theme parks and other things that people want back, people will choose the path that leads to life more like normal.

DC0703

Another thing to note is that there is not just one vaccine being developed. At present, there are well over a hundred vaccines for COVID in development around the world. Even if the first was only 50% effective, others may be higher, and scientists will continue to apply knowledge learned to improve future trials.

Per your second point - there is a staggering amount of research on COVID (and money being designated for reserach on COVID) right now, moreso than any other virus given the impact it is having on the world. That will likely make a difference in outcomes.

Miss Bella

Apple is trying to sneak versions of it on phones with the last update. I deleted it.

Miss Bella

Apple and Google announced the concept months ago and have made additional public updates. You did get a notification as the features have been listed right there in the update notes that appear when an update is available.
So what's my option? Don't update my phone? I wasn't given the option to opt out of the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom