Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GimpYancIent

What would be a very interesting study to do would be how much activity and what type of activity people in the US are doing vs people in Sweden. The assumption is people there are doing a lot more, but I wonder if that’s really true. WDW is a good example of how that may not be true. Are they allowing fans in the stands for their popular sports? Stuff like that.
A lot of interest in Sweden, Hmmmmmm, as far as their versions of amusement parks go they are open and fully functional.

lazyboy97o

DisneyCane

I'm straddling the fence...glad to see them open and doing so as safely as they can (also better than most places are), but at the same time, horrified at the idea of attending a theme park during a wide-spread pandemic.
Just curious why you feel horrified with the protocols they have in place? Having been there on six different days with the protocols, I feel as "safe" or "safer" there than anywhere else I've been.

Granted, for full disclosure, I would personally go there or anywhere without any of the protocols.

ImperfectPixie

Just curious why you feel horrified with the protocols they have in place? Having been there on six different days with the protocols, I feel as "safe" or "safer" there than anywhere else I've been.

Granted, for full disclosure, I would personally go there or anywhere without any of the protocols.
It just goes against my instincts, that's all. I actually give Disney tons of credit for all the measures they've put in place to keep people as safe as possible.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I think you answered your own question. The protocols have no bearing on your feelings. Probably the same for people that feel the other way.

Chi84

Premium Member
I'm in the middle. We have a family trip planned for May, and I'm fine with lower capacity, park reservations, somewhat reduced experiences, social distancing, and the like. But if they're still requiring people to wear masks outside or put them on 2-year-olds, we'll cancel. I don't think that will be the case, but no one knows for sure. Things are looking better - let's hope it continues.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm in the middle. We have a family trip planned for May, and I'm fine with lower capacity, park reservations, somewhat reduced experiences, social distancing, and the like. But if they're still requiring people to wear masks outside or put them on 2-year-olds, we'll cancel. I don't think that will be the case, but no one knows for sure. Things are looking better - let's hope it continues.
I think the majority of people fall in the middle. There’s a small extreme who would go even if there were no protocols in place and an equally small extreme who wouldn’t go to any public place like WDW no matter what the protocols. The rest of us take things on a case by case basis. I have no idea when the protocols will be removed, but I also wouldn’t go to WDW while masks are required. I also wouldn’t go right now if masks and other protocols were removed. As long as things look better and the case numbers drop (naturally or with the help of a vaccine) I think many if not all of the protocols will be loosened by sometime next year. That’s when I will likely be back. Until then I see no issue with people going today with the protocols in place. It’s just not for me.

sullyinMT

I’m with you, and I’m assuming you have a very young child based on your mask feelings. It was because of the masks that we felt comfortable there. Our boys are young adolescents, so they have an easier time understanding the “why” so long as teach them. I’d probably hold out with younger kids, too.
Hopefully by May we can pull back, but I’m in the camp that Disney will be among the last to pull back on anything, and that may be closer to end of summer.

Chi84

Premium Member
I’m with you, and I’m assuming you have a very young child based on your mask feelings. It was because of the masks that we felt comfortable there. Our boys are young adolescents, so they have an easier time understanding the “why” so long as teach them. I’d probably hold out with younger kids, too.
Hopefully by May we can pull back, but I’m in the camp that Disney will be among the last to pull back on anything, and that may be closer to end of summer.
That’s why I said no one knows for certain. I’m in the camp that Disney will loosen the restrictions sooner and that may be closer to the beginning of April. Everyone has an opinion and that’s fine but I’m concerned only about Disney’s.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
That’s why I said no one knows for certain. I’m in the camp that Disney will loosen the restrictions sooner and that may be closer to the beginning of April. Everyone has an opinion and that’s fine but I’m concerned only about Disney’s.
We are booked for next September. My main issue will be if they do not allow parking hopping by then. That is definitely something important to us.

sullyinMT

Tbh, I hope you’re right and I’m wrong. The sooner timeline would mean that a vaccine is approved and successfully rolling out sooner than I’m assuming. That would be a good thing for us all.

Miss Bella

Interesting opinion piece, but at least on one major point, inaccurate:
“Here, after all, is proof that a country can contain the coronavirus without depriving children of an education, piling up backlogs of non-coronavirus medical conditions, or leaving a smoking crater where its economy used to be.

The bold part is just simply not factually accurate. Their economy is in the toilet along with the rest of the world. While the government decided not to mandate stay at home orders plenty of Swedes still chose to stay away from shops, restaurants and gyms. This is reflected in their economic stress right now and also in the 9% unemployment rate which is worse than any of their Nordic neighbors. In other words the major difference between Sweden and the US is that our government mandated businesses close while in Sweden they left it up to the people and the people chose to stay home. There is a false narrative out there that Sweden went on with life as usual but it’s really not true. They had a major reduction of mobility too And a major hit to their economy. It was just voluntary as opposed to mandated.
Their unemployment rate in 2019 was 6.8. and 7.1 before covid. They did not have a huge increase in unemployment. https://www.statista.com/statistics/527418/sweden-monthly-unemployment-rate/

Chi84

Premium Member
We are booked for next September. My main issue will be if they do not allow parking hopping by then. That is definitely something important to us.
That's important to us too, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker. Mornings in May are typically rain-free, so we usually go to water parks or pools and hit the theme parks in the mid to late afternoon. But our trips in the fall can be pretty rainy, and in that case we usually park hop, at least for dinner at Epcot - or at Nomad Lounge in AK or HBD Lounge in HS. It feels odd not to be thinking more about our May trip, but things are so up in the air right now that I doubt it would be beneficial.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Unfortunately, even with a vaccine this pandemic is going to exist for years or forever. Do you think you'll ever feel comfortable going to WDW or any other place again?
With an effective vaccine there is no reason to believe that Covid-19 will be an epidemic or pandemic for years to come and certainly not forever. Even without a vaccine as treatments improve and more knowledge is gained there is no reason to believe Covid would just continue as a pandemic forever.

Jrb1979

I don't understand the love for how Sweden reacted to this. Do ya'll think they had no restrictions in place and just let people do as they please? Cause I hate to inform you but there is restrictions in place. Have to ask ya'll that a for Sweden could you live with gatherings of less then 50, Disney and all parks being closed. Visiting loved ones over 70 who are in homes are banned. Do you think that would have worked and would people follow those guidelines? I highly doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom