Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullyinMT

Seem pretty reasonable on timing. Each vaccine requires 2 doses per person and if you think about the logistics it probably will take several months to vaccinate everyone who wants one. If they start mass vaccinations in January and it takes until April to get to everyone then the final group would be getting their second shots in May. I think there’s probably then a second wave of people who may be holding back to see if there’s any adverse reactions in the first movers. They may not be done until July or August or later. All of this is also assumkmg they can ramp up production on the vaccines in time to meet the demand. I think that’s why some experts are saying a vaccine could be approved as early as November but others say the public won’t be finished getting vaccinated until late Q2 or Q3.

The biggest question will be at what point in the vaccination process does the case load drop low enough to begin removing restrictions? Every person vaccinated potentially reduces the total number of infections so I don’t think we have to wait until 200M Americans are vaccinated and herd immunity is reached before seeing the impact of a vaccine. In reference specifically to WDW, it may be before everyone who wants it gets vaccinated that they can loosen restrictions like capacity limits and maybe even masks. It all depends on how fast cases drop.
Exactly. I wasn’t shocked at Dr Redfield’s timeline at all. I don’t know why anyone who would think logically would be. This is going to be a massive undertaking even if only 50% of the general population seek vaccination. It’s going to take the better part of a year.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Part depends on how willing people are. I trust Fauci more than anyone else on this, but if 40% or more refuse, it won’t help that much.

Honest question that I don’t expect anyone here to answer. Suppose there’s a vaccine. Suppose it’s widely available and all who want it have received it. Do we then say, “screw all you naysayers, go ahead and die, we are returning to school full time and letting Maroon5 tour!”???? Or do we have this stupid society where stuff stays closed and the vaccinated keep wearing masks to help protect the morons?

I do wonder...

By the way, I was talking with some grad school colleagues. That Pfizer study is going VERY well. Looking at greater than 70% effectiveness and no serious adverse reactions. Let’s hope it stays that way.
The only problem with the “screw the naysayers“ approach is that if the vaccine is only 70% effective and I get the vaccine I still have a 30% chance of getting infected. If the community spread is still wide then many of the restrictions may need to stay longer. If the vaccine is closer to 90- 95% effective that would be a big help. You still need to probably get >50% of the population to buy in. Unfortunately, a lot of people may be skeptical and then there’s a whole other group who dug in on their political views that the virus isn‘t so bad and so won’t get vaccinated because it goes against their “narrative”.

I have a god friend who works for Pfizer who also seemed very optimistic that the trials were going well. No specifics but just happy with it in general.

sullyinMT

Which is why we see commercials with lawyers asking if you'd experienced ill effects from medications/procedures.
You’re exactly right. And it’s why malpractice policies are so expensive. Bad things do happen, though.
With this particular rollout I’m of the opinion that the benefit at outweighs the risk so long as near term safety pans out.

ImperfectPixie

The only problem with the “screw the naysayers“ approach is that if the vaccine is only 70% effective and I get the vaccine I still have a 30% chance of getting infected. If the community spread is still wide then many of the restrictions may need to stay longer. If the vaccine is closer to 90- 95% effective that would be a big help. You still need to probably get >50% of the population to buy in. Unfortunately, a lot of people may be skeptical and then there’s a whole other group who dug in on their political views that the virus isn‘t so bad and so won’t get vaccinated because it goes against their “narrative”.

I have a god friend who works for Pfizer who also seemed very optimistic that the trials were going well. No specifics but just happy with it in general.
I live in MA, and the governor mandated flu shots for all children attending school as well as college students.

You should see the number of people absolutely losing their minds over the FLU SHOT. I'm not very confident that we're going to get half the country to get vaccinated against COVID-19.

DisneyCane

Failure.

Guess who that’s on?

Only about 20% of the whole population could have been tested once at this point...

Guess who that’s on?

Many months ago all kinds of academics (I think it came from Harvard) said that the US would need 750,000 tests per week to return to some form of normalcy. The 7 day rolling average is 781,000 PER DAY and that's considered a failure?

For countries with a population over 10 million, the US is behind only the UK in total tests per capita (they're at 30.2% of population and the US is at 28.8%, not 20%). Again, a failure?

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Very few vaccines are that effective. 70% effective, especially if at-risk groups respond, pulls this into flu territory.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Exactly. I wasn’t shocked at Dr Redfield’s timeline at all. I don’t know why anyone who would think logically would be. This is going to be a massive undertaking even if only 50% of the general population seek vaccination. It’s going to take the better part of a year.
The first wave (general public after the emergency approval people) can probably be done in 3 or 4 months depending on availability. The last major distribution of a vaccine was H1N1 and they started injections in November for high risk people. By early December it was available to anyone and by the end of January anyone who wanted the shot had gotten one. In that case only about 30% of the population was vaccinated (partially because flu season was mostly over by the time it was widely available) and that was a single dose vaccine. I would assume if the first wave is around 100-150M people they can get it done in 4 months time assuming 300M doses are available by then. that’s still only 45% of the population and probably not enough to reach herd immunity.

DisneyCane

Part depends on how willing people are. I trust Fauci more than anyone else on this, but if 40% or more refuse, it won’t help that much.

Honest question that I don’t expect anyone here to answer. Suppose there’s a vaccine. Suppose it’s widely available and all who want it have received it. Do we then say, “screw all you naysayers, go ahead and die, we are returning to school full time and letting Maroon5 tour!”???? Or do we have this stupid society where stuff stays closed and the vaccinated keep wearing masks to help protect the morons?

I do wonder...

By the way, I was talking with some grad school colleagues. That Pfizer study is going VERY well. Looking at greater than 70% effectiveness and no serious adverse reactions. Let’s hope it stays that way.
Yes. Once a vaccine is available and determined to be safe and enough doses have gone out that everybody who wants one can get it, you go back to normal. I know that some percentage who get the vaccine can still get the virus but a 70% effective vaccine taken by 70% of the population would make 49% immune. That would be more than enough to naturally significantly suppress the spread.

The only thing that makes COVID much worse than the flu is the complete lack of any immunity (natural or through vaccination) in the population. If 49% are immune it should make the spread similar to the flu. Since we live with the flu without restrictions, once we reach that point with a vaccine we need to live with COVID without restrictions, other than common sense things like keeping it out of nursing homes where the mortality rate is extremely high (although it probably isn't much better when a nursing home resident gets the flu).

Heppenheimer

What year was it that there was a problem with the manufacturing process of the flu vaccine and this resulted in a shortage? I seem to recall people lining up to get their inoculation that year. Maybe the sense of scarcity, whether true or not, can drive the number to receive the COVID-19 shot when its finally available.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Very few vaccines are that effective. 70% effective, especially if at-risk groups respond, pulls this into flu territory.
Agreed. The problem is if we assume the minimum threshold for herd immunity is 40% and no more than 5-10% of people have been naturally infected (official number is 2% but assuming a large number who never got tested) then we need the vaccine to protect at least 35% of the population. At 70% effectiveness (which I agree is probably best case) then we need to get to at least 50% of the public (165M Americans) getting the vaccine. If herd immunity is an even higher threshold the number vaccinated needs to go higher.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What year was it that there was a problem with the manufacturing process of the flu vaccine and this resulted in a shortage? I seem to recall people lining up to get their inoculation that year. Maybe the sense of scarcity, whether true or not, can drive the number to receive the COVID-19 shot when its finally available.
I know I waited in a long line for H1N1. It was pretty bizarre to experience but I imagine this will be the same except the line will be longer with everyone 6 feet apart;)

sullyinMT

Just look at the great toilet paper crisis of 2020! 😉

Heppenheimer

The only thing that makes COVID much worse than the flu is the complete lack of any immunity (natural or through vaccination) in the population.
Although I agree that this point makes COVID-19 worse than the seasonal flu, it is far from the only factor. COVID-19 has a longer asymptomatic incubation period, a much higher percentage of asymptomatic carriers, and those who are symptomatic tend to get much sicker with a longer recovery period. We don't have absolutely great comparisons for mortality yet, because the data is still emerging and with lessons learned, the mortality rate for COVID-19 has decreased, but it still seems to have a higher mortality rate than the average seasonal flu, and definitely so for those with symptomatic disease.

Oh, and we have a medication that can at least speed up the recovery for the flu. We have nothing specific for COVID yet (not including corticosteroids, because these are commonly used in most severe respiratory infections).

EDIT: Fixed the formatting...

Last edited:

sullyinMT

I know I waited in a long line for H1N1. It was pretty bizarre to experience but I imagine this will be the same except the line will be longer with everyone 6 feet apart;)
*inserts tongue in cheek*
It could be the same line as your polling place in November!

sullyinMT

Agreed. The problem is if we assume the minimum threshold for herd immunity is 40% and no more than 5-10% of people have been naturally infected (official number is 2% but assuming a large number who never got tested) then we need the vaccine to protect at least 35% of the population. At 70% effectiveness (which I agree is probably best case) then we need to get to at least 50% of the public (165M Americans) getting the vaccine. If herd immunity is an even higher threshold the number vaccinated needs to go higher.
Also, isn’t there some assumption that the other 30% who do end up infected anyway have a more attenuated infection? Whether or not they’re contagious, that could still impact the toll on overall society.

Heppenheimer

That actually is not the case. I didn't look up all the efficacy rates for every vaccine, but the rates I found quoted for seroconversion for diptheria, measles, mumps, rubella, pertussis, polio and tetanus were all in the high 90s.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Many months ago all kinds of academics (I think it came from Harvard) said that the US would need 750,000 tests per week to return to some form of normalcy. The 7 day rolling average is 781,000 PER DAY and that's considered a failure?

For countries with a population over 10 million, the US is behind only the UK in total tests per capita (they're at 30.2% of population and the US is at 28.8%, not 20%). Again, a failure?
In the UK, yes. It’s an emerging disaster over here.

Kevin_W

Right, I don't think it's fair to say we've failed at testing given the state of the technology. Sure, we'd all love to have a $0.25 instant test we could take every morning, but I think the US has brought the technologies we do have to scale pretty well.Per capita, only Denmark and a couple other countries have tested more than the US.

1600454320419.png

The # per day has been flat-to-decreasing for a while. That coincides with cases dropping, so I would assume less people diagnosed as positive = less people they contacted needing tests. though with the mandatory testing colleges are doing, I'm surprised we didn't see an increase when classes started for the fall.

1600454439176.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Also, isn’t there some assumption that the other 30% who do end up infected anyway have a more attenuated infection? Whether or not they’re contagious, that could still impact the toll on overall society.
That seems to be the case for flu shots. I don’t think we know for sure if it will apply to the Covid vaccine or not. I think I read somewhere for flu it’s usually not that the vaccine didn’t work at all it’s that if the particular strain you are exposed to was not part of this year’s vaccine you are likely to get a less severe infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom