Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyDebRob

I was actually watching this when he said it. He seems to believe that something will be approved, then roll out starting December, January time frame. He also said if all goes well. Redfield also thinks there’s a chance. He also follows it up with 6-9 months of a roll out before everyone that wants it can have it. I’m hopin they are right on the first part and somehow wrong with how long it takes it to roll out. Hoping for the best.

sullyinMT

The cdc just reversed the covid testing guidelines again to where anyone in contact with a covid postive should be tested. Asymptomatic or not.

That will drive testing back up...and cases identified up.

Hold off on booking that flight to Orlando...in other words.
Identified cases will go up, sure. But primary hospitalizations have gown down ~50% in a month (from 5k+ to 2.4k). So even with unmitigated spread in FL severity is going down. I’m still looking forward to my Thanksgiving trip and unapologetic for the one I took in August.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Identified cases will go up, sure. But primary hospitalizations have gown down ~50% in a month (from 5k+ to 2.4k). So even with enmitigated spread in FL severity is going down. I’m still looking forward to my Thanksgiving trip and unapologetic for the one I took in August.
But that’s YOU...that doesn’t help Disney at all.

This is the Disney place, right?

ImperfectPixie

One of my 7-year old sons was more angsty during lockdown than I was at age 15. Lord help me in 8 years.
My 9-year-old was very whiny...he loves school though, so understandable. 14-year-old was in his glory - he'd learn 100% online if it were up to him. By themselves, they're really great kids. Put them together though...even though they adore each other, they still drive each other around the bend.

sullyinMT

I was actually watching this when he said it. He seems to believe that something will be approved, then roll out starting December, January time frame. He also said if all goes well. Redfield also thinks there’s a chance. He also follows it up with 6-9 months of a roll out before everyone that wants it can have it. I’m hopin they are right on the first part and somehow wrong with how long it takes it to roll out. Hoping for the best.
More than “seems to believe.” My wife works on pharma launch rollouts, and has repeatedly said they (whatever agency you want “they” to be) clearly know at least one candidate is going well. Their information campaign is unequivocally trying to sway public opinion.

ToTBellHop

Part depends on how willing people are. I trust Fauci more than anyone else on this, but if 40% or more refuse, it won’t help that much.

Honest question that I don’t expect anyone here to answer. Suppose there’s a vaccine. Suppose it’s widely available and all who want it have received it. Do we then say, “screw all you naysayers, go ahead and die, we are returning to school full time and letting Maroon5 tour!”???? Or do we have this stupid society where stuff stays closed and the vaccinated keep wearing masks to help protect the morons?

I do wonder...

By the way, I was talking with some grad school colleagues. That Pfizer study is going VERY well. Looking at greater than 70% effectiveness and no serious adverse reactions. Let’s hope it stays that way.

GimpYancIent

Dr. Fauci has been giving consistent projections on the vaccine all along. Despite media trying to pin him to a specific date he prudently projects potential time frames. Thus far he has been the coolest head in the room.

DisneyDebRob

More than “seems to believe.” My wife works on pharma launch rollouts, and has repeatedly said they (whatever agency you want “they” to be) clearly know at least one candidate is going well. Their information campaign is unequivocally trying to sway public opinion.
Shame but true. The way things are anymore. But I do have confidence in some of them when they make the statements that nothing will intrude on what is best for the people and won’t be influenced by anything else. I mean what else can we do. I keep hearing the virus is going to virus.. well let science be science.

DisneyDebRob

Part depends on how willing people are. I trust Fauci more than anyone else on this, but if 40% or more refuse, it won’t help that much.

Honest question that I don’t expect anyone here to answer. Suppose there’s a vaccine. Suppose it’s widely available and all who want it have received it. Do we then say, “screw all you naysayers, go ahead and die, we are returning to school full time and letting Maroon5 tour!”???? Or do we have this stupid society where stuff stays closed and the vaccinated keep wearing masks to help protect the morons?

I do wonder...

By the way, I was talking with some grad school colleagues. That Pfizer study is going VERY well. Looking at greater than 70% effectiveness and no serious adverse reactions. Let’s hope it stays that way.
I can answer your one question. Please, no more Maroon5.

sullyinMT

Shame but true. The way things are anymore. But I do have confidence in some of them when they make the statements that nothing will intrude on what is best for the people and won’t be influenced by anything else. I mean what else can we do. I keep hearing the virus is going to virus.. well let science be science.
Science is “sciencing.” That was my point. Lines of communication to the CDC, FDA, and NIH seem to be more open in these trials than others. It happens on a rapid pace, but sometimes paperwork gets in the way. Hopefully that is the only barrier removed here. I trust that these companies and universities have massive teams doing years of work in the chain concomitantly. The only thing we may not know is long term effects, but sometimes we don’t know that when the traditional timeline is followed, either.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Seem pretty reasonable on timing. Each vaccine requires 2 doses per person and if you think about the logistics it probably will take several months to vaccinate everyone who wants one. If they start mass vaccinations in January and it takes until April to get to everyone then the final group would be getting their second shots in May. I think there’s probably then a second wave of people who may be holding back to see if there’s any adverse reactions in the first movers. They may not be done until July or August or later. All of this is also assumkmg they can ramp up production on the vaccines in time to meet the demand. I think that’s why some experts are saying a vaccine could be approved as early as November but others say the public won’t be finished getting vaccinated until late Q2 or Q3.

The biggest question will be at what point in the vaccination process does the case load drop low enough to begin removing restrictions? Every person vaccinated potentially reduces the total number of infections so I don’t think we have to wait until 200M Americans are vaccinated and herd immunity is reached before seeing the impact of a vaccine. In reference specifically to WDW, it may be before everyone who wants it gets vaccinated that they can loosen restrictions like capacity limits and maybe even masks. It all depends on how fast cases drop.

ToTBellHop

I can answer your one question. Please, no more Maroon5.
1600451756210.png

ImperfectPixie

Science is “sciencing.” That was my point. Lines of communication to the CDC, FDA, and NIH seem to be more open in these trials than others. It happens on a rapid pace, but sometimes paperwork gets in the way. Hopefully that is the only barrier removed here. I trust that these companies and universities have massive teams doing years of work in the chain concomitantly. The only thing we may not know is long term effects, but sometimes we don’t know that when the traditional timeline is followed, either.
Which is why we see commercials with lawyers asking if you'd experienced ill effects from medications/procedures.

DisneyCane

Interestingly, the number of active cases has been steadily dropping in Florida (those are cases being actively tracked). The bad news is, for cases being tracked, once you remove active cases, the death rate is 5%
Where are you getting the data for active cases? I don't believe the State of Florida officially tracks active cases. A long time ago they said there was no CDC guidance on how to define a recovery so they weren't going to publish data of recovered patients.

DisneyCane

I keep seeing people say that they would only get tested if they had symptoms, and I just want to put a reminder out there that the goal was to have the ability to test EVERYONE, sick or not. This is how we get back to a semi normal life for now. We have the capacity to test everyone, as accurately and quickly as possible, we can resume some sort of normalcy. Look at sports and jobs in politics/government, there is a reason they test everybody every day.
Where did that goal come from? For it to be worth anything you'd have to test everyone every day which wouldn't be possible unless it was completely "do it yourself" like a home pregnancy test.

I believe the goal was that everybody who wanted a test would get a test. I don't want a test. Even if I had symptoms I wouldn't want a test unless they were more than moderate. Even then it would be because it would be required to see a doctor. I'd just isolate until I got over it and 14 days after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom