Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyDebRob

Spending is going down after trying to recover. I think the reality of the situation is sinking in for many people.

We can’t be fooled by talking heads. This economic recovery is going to last a very long time. To hear almost daily from some how we are rebounding is ridiculous. We still have 800,000 people a week putting in claims for unemployment.. with that happening, and we know the other things going on, going to be a long climb.

SamusAranX

On a related note three county run testing locations in Hillsborough will be closing on the 26th

Link?

Edit: here you go

If you read it, they mention demand is down; so I think it's a bit disingenuous to suggest some nefarious conspiracy to bluff out of it; you can't force people to go get tested. If demand is down, demand is down. Why waste thousands if not more daily to run a center if the capacity is not needed right now? There are still 6 sites open, not to mention I am sure numerous local and private clinics, etc. (thats where i went to test)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Link?

If you read it, they mention demand is down; so I think it's a bit disingenuous to suggest some nefarious conspiracy to bluff out of it; you can't force people to go get tested. If demand is down, demand is down. Why waste thousands if not more daily to run a center if the capacity is not needed right now? There are still 6 sites open, not to mention I am sure numerous local and private clinics, etc. (thats where i went to test)
If the other article is true and there’s a surge of cases coming then demand won’t be down for long. It’s true that as demand drops they should be able to close down some of the locations opened to get past the surge. My only issue with it is the speed with which these things seem to happen. FL cases have been trending better for a while now and actually got below 5% percent positive for a week now. Why not hold the course? Instead they re-opened bars and start closing testing centers. Maybe wait until at least 14 days or a month go by to make changes to what seems to be working. That same rush lead to the summer surge. Hopefully history doesn’t repeat itself.

JoeCamel

Link?

I didn't suggest anything.....

SamusAranX

If the other article is true and there’s a surge of cases coming then demand won’t be down for long. It’s true that as demand drops they should be able to close down some of the locations opened to get past the surge. My only issue with it is the speed with which these things seem to happen. FL cases have been trending better for a while now and actually got below 5% percent positive for a week now. Why not hold the course? Instead they re-opened bars and start closing testing centers. Maybe wait until at least 14 days or a month go by to make changes to what seems to be working. That same rush lead to the summer surge. Hopefully history doesn’t repeat itself.

I am sure they can ramp up the centers again if needed; again, many people are going to private clinics with insurance to get tested (I've done both options). I don't think this is them trying to force numbers down; they just have to justify the thousands spent; the article mentioned; "Public use of the county’s testing sites has dropped considerably and on some days hovering at less than 20 percent of capacity"

That's a big drop.

techgeek

Any bets on when FL realizes that when you test less, your positivity stat goes up (because only those with symptoms or in contact with cases get tested), and thus, FL will start a very public campaign encouraging people to get tested so that that stat can go down and they can get tourists back?
Any bets on when FL comes to the realization that they can't bluff their way out of this?

I would not put money on either of those bets. The messaging from Tallahassee will continue to be "everything is fine, the beaches and Disney are open, come on down!" alternating with "We saved the economy! Everyone is open and everyone is back to work!"

On the bright side, we have a lot of sand for people to stick their heads into around here...

My only issue with it is the speed with which these things seem to happen. FL cases have been trending better for a while now and actually got below 5% percent positive for a week now. Why not hold the course?

From my point of view, we actually got below 5%, but then promptly stopped the downward trend and hit a plateau. You're not going to convince anyone outside the southeast with a plateau at 5%.

GimpYancIent

Testing for any illness does not counteract the illness. Testing confirms for those that get tested whether they contracted the specific illness or not. That said, a negative test today does not mean a test tomorrow will not be positive. In short all this testing has generated a lot of numbers for stats which in turn have been manipulated and used, sadly, not in the best interest of the general public.

Kevin_W

At least some good news, although not directly on the COVID-19 front:

That would definitely be expected; I'm glad the data is bearing it out. I said 100+ pages ago that a silver lining in this might be a better understanding of aerosol/droplet disease transmission among the general public and hopefully a sustained drop in fly and other disease transmission int he future.

Masks and physical distancing will (hopefully) go away some day. But I'd hope things like hand sanitizer stations at building entrances/theme park ride exits would be here to stay.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Testing for any illness does not counteract the illness. Testing confirms for those that get tested whether they contracted the specific illness or not. That said, a negative test today does not mean a test tomorrow will not be positive. In short all this testing has generated a lot of numbers for stats which in turn have been manipulated and used, sadly, not in the best interest of the general public.
Testing absolutely helps counteract the spread of an illness, it doesn’t cure the person who is sick. Testing is the only way to know who is contagious. Without testing the virus spreads more. With quick and accurate testing you identify the sick and quarantine them before they infect others. You can also attempt to contact trace positive people and identify additional potential spreaders.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
While it would be difficult to argue with this, in my mind, it doesn't make any darn sense to go get tested if you don't either think you have it (symptoms) or feel certain you've been exposed to it. For one thing, someone is going to have to pay for it - you, your insurance (which is you), or the government fairy (also you if you pay taxes). For another thing, if you don't have a good reason as mentioned, you're exposing yourself to a risk of being infected by undergoing an unnecessary invasive medical procedure.

That's why I've been advocating for states to do randomized testing to determine the true positivity rate in their state rather than rely on people self-selecting to be tested (which they should if they suspect anything or need clearance in order to participate in something).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
While it would be difficult to argue with this, in my mind, it doesn't make any darn sense to go get tested if you don't either think you have it (symptoms) or feel certain you've been exposed to it. For one thing, someone is going to have to pay for it - you, your insurance (which is you), or the government fairy (also you if you pay taxes). For another thing, if you don't have a good reason as mentioned, you're exposing yourself to a risk of being infected by undergoing an unnecessary invasive medical procedure.
Some jobs or schools were requiring testing to either come back to work or campus or in some cases like nursing homes periodic repeated testing of employees. In addition to that anyone who has symptoms or has had contact with someone who is infected should get tested. If you only test people with symptoms you miss all of the asymptomatic people and a lot of the evidence suggests that’s a major source of spread. The cost of testing is almost irrelevant. The federal government has spent trillions in relief money, states are spending additional money. The cost of testing should not influence the decision to get tested or not. Anyone who thinks they need a test should be able to get one.

Polkadotdress

The Disney/Orange County testing site is self-administered while in your car, with your window only opened 4 inches to be handed the swab. Hardly invasive, and minimal (to zero) risk of exposure.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I am wondering if we will see more people wear masks on a regular basis, especially during flu season, once this is all over.

Nah. A lot of idiots see the word flu and think... isn't that just COVID without the hysteria? I mean, I assume people who have been following the guidelines since day 1 may continue with masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom