Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

easyrowrdw

I wonder what areas don’t meet the requirements to go up to 75%. I imagine some city centers but this is just a guess.
The article said Rio Grande Valley, Laredo, and Victoria. Those first two are along the Texas-Mexico border and have apparently been hit very very hard.

Lilofan

The article said Rio Grande Valley, Laredo, and Victoria. Those first two are along the Texas-Mexico border and have apparently been hit very very hard.
The Rio Grande Valley is a huge porous border where many cross illegally into TEX from MEX. Not surprising it's a hard hit area.

sullyinMT

The new metric: As long as there's enough beds to die in, we're good.
Same metric as before. Don’t overwhelm hospitals and we’ll get back to as normal as possible. Not everyone hospitalized dies, or even needs ICU treatment. Some (many?) need a couple days’ supplemental oxygen and IV steroids.

GimpYancIent

I do not see a comparison in capacity percentages between WDW and any other location or venue. 50% capacity is a relative term to what? 50% of the crowd capacity WDW is capable of is 100% capacity for anywhere else. Apples and Oranges. The trick for WDW is to maximize use of the vast area they have keeping the guests spread out and not creating a crowd at any one specific location due to some special entertainment.

GimpYancIent

Same metric as before. Don’t overwhelm hospitals and we’ll get back to as normal as possible. Not everyone hospitalized dies, or even needs ICU treatment. Some (many?) need a couple days’ supplemental oxygen and IV steroids.
The new metric: As long as there's enough beds to die in, we're good.
COVCID19 true enough is a no joke illness, but, to become infected with it does not mean a death sentence. Deaths are in the very low single digits compared to the massive infection numbers. Hospitals in the U.S. have been handling everything. For most to need to be hospitalized w COVID19 does not mean life is over but some medical support is needed addressing the illness.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I do not see a comparison in capacity percentages between WDW and any other location or venue. 50% capacity is a relative term to what? 50% of the crowd capacity WDW is capable of is 100% capacity for anywhere else. Apples and Oranges. The trick for WDW is to maximize use of the vast area they have keeping the guests spread out and not creating a crowd at any one specific location due to some special entertainment.
I believe back in May when they first setup capacity limits for WDW they were a percentage of normal attendance not a percentage of maximum capacity. 50% of maximum capacity at EPCOT is more people than a lot of normal, pre-Covid summer days.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yes, it is a fact. More people = More deaths. How is that not true?? And I have looked at the data per capita and we are definitely not at the bottom. We are doing about average.

How we need to view the US is like each state is a different country. Some states are better than others like in Europe.

I am not what data you are looking at but according to this site, https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/, the US has the 11th highest deaths per capita out of 215 countries. Not sure how that is "doing about average".

Jrb1979

I can't think of a less likely way to spread it than outdoors around a pool.

The private gathering issue is with indoor parties and no social distancing or poor ventilation.
Be happy you don't live here. Our Premier just put in place that anyone that has an outdoor gathering of more then 25 or indoor one of more then 10 the home owner will be fined $10,000 and any one who attends will be fined $750

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
My mind is blown that upping capacity is happening right now. Here our capacity at all restaurants is still 25% and is going to stay that way til a vaccine or better treatment options come.
Well. They aren’t getting additional money from the powers that be anymore. So we can either provide some a bit of relief where possible or continue punish them for our mistakes. And as I said, they have been running 50% occupancy since around the beginning of June. So it’s not a huge change.

DisneyCane

Well. They aren’t getting additional money from the powers that be anymore. So we can either provide some a bit of relief where possible or continue punish them for our mistakes. And as I said, they have been running 50% occupancy since around the beginning of June. So it’s not a huge change.
Plus, assuming that they still have to distance tables, it will be quite difficult to get to 75% capacity. A little space efficiency can be gained by doing a new layout of the tables instead of just blocking tables off but I don't see how most restaurants I frequent could get 75% capacity with 6 feet between tables.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Plus, assuming that they still have to distance tables, it will be quite difficult to get to 75% capacity. A little space efficiency can be gained by doing a new layout of the tables instead of just blocking tables off but I don't see how most restaurants I frequent could get 75% capacity with 6 feet between tables.
Yeah. Was thinking the same thing. For a good chunk I imagine it’s not even possible.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah. Was thinking the same thing. For a good chunk I imagine it’s not even possible.
The other question is does it even matter? Allowing 75% capacity doesn’t mean restaurants will automatically fill up to the allowed capacity. Were there a lot of stories of long waits for tables or restaurants turning away customers? At least near me the majority of what I hear is about restaurants that are mostly empty anyway. Similar to WDW if the demand isn’t there it doesn’t help to increase capacity. I imagine maybe on a Friday or Saturday night when a restaurant has a surge of diners It may matter, but most of the time not so much.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The other question is does it even matter? Allowing 75% capacity doesn’t mean restaurants will automatically fill up to the allowed capacity. Were there a lot of stories of long waits for tables or restaurants turning away customers? At least near me the majority of what I hear is about restaurants that are mostly empty anyway. Similar to WDW if the demand isn’t there it doesn’t help to increase capacity. I imagine maybe on a Friday or Saturday night when a restaurant has a surge of diners It may matter, but most of the time not so much.
Ehh. My area seems to have decent demand. But this is anecdotal. I’m sure it is a mixed bag depending on the community

Jrb1979

First @rowrbazzle why so angry with the fines?

Back to the restaurant thing. Here outside of the first couple of weeks when they first reopened, most restaurants are very quiet and not busy at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom