Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That would definitely be expected; I'm glad the data is bearing it out. I said 100+ pages ago that a silver lining in this might be a better understanding of aerosol/droplet disease transmission among the general public and hopefully a sustained drop in fly and other disease transmission int he future.

Masks and physical distancing will (hopefully) go away some day. But I'd hope things like hand sanitizer stations at building entrances/theme park ride exits would be here to stay.

No "hopefully" about physical distancing, it will eventually go away even if the virus doesn't.

sullyinMT

I am wondering if we will see more people wear masks on a regular basis, especially during flu season, once this is all over.
I personally probably wouldn’t in a grocery store or during general activity. But put me in a plane or on the Magical Express, or possibly even my local art theater which only seats like 100 people? I’m definitely going to be changing my behavior in those and similar situations.

sullyinMT

I wonder that also. But I’m really hoping the distancing takes off and stays. People staying away a bit and not right on my ankles in line, well, I’m starting to like it.
No doubt. The 2m can go away to lessen the spillover in to other areas, but people should be able to stay 3ft or so away so that I don’t smell their lunch from 2 hours ago!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Testing for any illness does not counteract the illness. Testing confirms for those that get tested whether they contracted the specific illness or not. That said, a negative test today does not mean a test tomorrow will not be positive. In short all this testing has generated a lot of numbers for stats which in turn have been manipulated and used, sadly, not in the best interest of the general public.
It’s been poorly managed...

You can interpret the spin however you want...but if you go with the truth it cuts down on the “guesswork”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No doubt. The 2m can go away to lessen the spillover in to other areas, but people should be able to stay 3ft or so away so that I don’t smell their lunch from 2 hours ago!
I still have people running up my bum...and that’s in a “compliant” state.

But I’ve felt that people were bad at reading me for decades...it’s very obvious when I will allow someone within my bubble: I’ll buy drinks and start telling jokes...

...the rest of you Klingons stay outside of the shields 😡

Last edited:

sullyinMT

If you don't mean forced testing, then I would guess that most people who don't suspect they have been infected would decline. Don't know that for sure, but I'd just laugh if I were asked.
If you mean government-mandated testing under the threat of fines or imprisonment, then you and I have vastly different views of liberty.
It’s amazing that your liberty would greatly improve if your locale improved (generally speaking, I have no idea where you are). It doesn’t have to be forced, either. Public health campaigns don’t have to be so politicized. Randomized can be as simple as hanging out at the exit to Home Depot all day and finding enough people to sample, collect data, and begins contact tracing the positives.

Last edited by a moderator:

sullyinMT

Self-administered = you're asking people who have no idea how to do it right (and are possibly ill) perform it on themselves. That's unprecedented in medicine. Glucose testing? Colo guard? In a similar vein, these are screening tests. Hardly unprecedented. Further tests would be needed by a professional.
Hardly invasive? => You are jamming a stick well up into the membranes of your nose, while trusting that the stick is sterile The swab is opened in front of you. If you don’t trust that, I’ll make you a tin foil hat. Manufacturing/processing errors might occur, but they’re extremely rare. Your sinuses are a filtering zone to your body, anyway. Minimal risk.
Minimal (to zero) risk of exposure => That's also true of riding alone in your car, and yet daily I see people doing that while wearing a mask. And college students are being told they have to wear a mask while walking alone on campus. So it's ok to advocate, demonstrate, and enforce senseless policies wrt wearing a mask to avoid minimal chance of exposure, but just throw that all out the window for the testing? Whataboutism for silly people and their behavior (who might be carrying a Doordash or driving for Lyft/Uber) or policies that might be a little bizarre doesn’t change the risk for the testing.

Polkadotdress

Self-administered = you're asking people who have no idea how to do it right (and are possibly ill) perform it on themselves. That's unprecedented in medicine.
Hardly invasive? => You are jamming a stick well up into the membranes of your nose, while trusting that the stick is sterile
Minimal (to zero) risk of exposure => That's also true of riding alone in your car, and yet daily I see people doing that while wearing a mask. And college students are being told they have to wear a mask while walking alone on campus. So it's ok to advocate, demonstrate, and enforce senseless policies wrt wearing a mask to avoid minimal chance of exposure, but just throw that all out the window for the testing?

Self administered: there is a line on the stick that is the "insert to" mark, leaving to guesswork as to whether you've gone deep enough. Couple that with a mandatory # of swirls around each nostril. They watch you while doing so, in order to correct you if wrong. Of note, your window is rolled all the way up while inserting and swirling, so to protect the worker.
Hardly invasive: The stick comes in a sealed pouch. The test site worker tears the end of off the pouch and asks YOU to pull it out, thereby removing any/all cross-contamination from them. Once complete, you break the stick in half (at the mandatory line) and self-insert it into a plastic test tube thing which is immediately capped.
Minimal exposure: both you and the worker(s) are masked, and while you are inserting and swirling, you are directed to roll your window all the way up.

I maintain it is minimal risk.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out -

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.51.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.51.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.51.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.52.06 AM.png

DisneyCane

Good to see volumes heading back up. I wonder if these are symptomatic people seeking testing or school/workplace requirements. In other words, hopefully the flu season isn’t ramping up early.
I don't think the positivity could be that low if it was mainly symptomatic people adding to the test volume. It's probably a lot of things like the plumbing company my mom used requiring all their plumbers to be tested every two weeks. Or the University of Miami requiring test every two weeks for anybody who comes onto campus (living, attending class, all faculty and staff).

sullyinMT

I don't think the positivity could be that low if it was mainly symptomatic people adding to the test volume. It's probably a lot of things like the plumbing company my mom used requiring all their plumbers to be tested every two weeks. Or the University of Miami requiring test every two weeks for anybody who comes onto campus (living, attending class, all faculty and staff).
You’re likely right. We are entering flu season, though. And symptoms cross over quite a bit. So some folks with symptoms are likely seeking COVID tests first since it’s at the forefront of everyone’s mind.

Jrb1979

Expressing my displeasure with that level of government intrusion would be political so I'm afraid I really can't say...
They have only implenmented the fines cause they have found that the reason for the rise in cases here is from people having parties and not social distancing. They have tried being nice about it but it wasn't working. We went from having 110 cases per day to over 400 today. 40 of which trace back to a party at a cottage a week ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom