Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwink

No. The realist in me says this 2 weeks buys them time and goodwill before they drop the hammer on the massive layoffs that are going to need to happen.
I think they’d lay off salary employees first...my husband is an essential leader where he works... but hourly. I don’t know 😖

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Do you think they would pay if it goes beyond this first closure?
I would only be guessing, but if it’s extended a few more weeks probably. Through April is pretty questionable. Beyond that even less likely.

keep in mind that this isn’t a Disney only issue. They have plenty of cash and a really healthy balance sheet so no cash flow problems. Disney is in better shape then some other companies. Also, the money lost during this crisis will be couched as a non-recurring one time loss when TWDC releases earnings. Wall Street tends to focus on future cash flows not what happened in the past so recovering and ramping up to full operations again will be more important than one time losses. You can’t ramp up without employees.

The Mom

Premium Member

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Thats too bad. Stories like this are why this situation is likely to get worse before it gets better. People are so self centered and just can’t help themselves. We all just need to give up a little of our pleasure for the greater good.

Shouldigo12

Well my college is officially online for the rest of the semester. It'll be interesting to see how that goes, especially when it comes to my ASL class.

Also, I do want to note that I was impressed by people at the grocery. I work at Kroger, and while I heard from some co-workers people were being nasty most were actually quite lovely. It was nice. Hopefully guests at the resorts are being equally kind to the employees there; I'm sure they need the kindness right now.

Jwink

I would only be guessing, but if it’s extended a few more weeks probably. Through April is pretty questionable. Beyond that even less likely.

keep in mind that this isn’t a Disney only issue. They have plenty of cash and a really healthy balance sheet so no cash flow problems. Disney is in better shape then some other companies. Also, the money lost during this crisis will be couched as a non-recurring one time loss when TWDC releases earnings. Wall Street tends to focus on future cash flows not what happened in the past so recovering and ramping up to full operations again will be more important than one time losses. You can’t ramp up without employees.
Yeah they need some but not all employees 😖😖. I just hope the fact that my husband has been there for a pretty long time will help

JoeCamel

I’m really worried. Like.... can’t sleep worried. I have a mortgage and 2 kids
Yeah they need some but not all employees 😖😖. I just hope the fact that my husband has been there for a pretty long time will help

Please try not to stress out at this time and get proactive. Work on the resume as a worst case or look into pizza driving. Either way it is too soon to have this level of concern over what TDO may or may not do. Give yourself a break for a week until they figure it out then you can see what your options are.
I know it is flip to say don't worry about it but you must.

rnese

Getting to the facts is not 'being critical' - it's being accurate.
Mematic_meme_20200311_170918.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
One of the worst parts of this whole situation is how helpless we all are to really change anything. Anxiety over the unknown is hard to deal with. I know it’s next to impossible to do, but try to relax. It’s out of your hands now. Take things day by day and enjoy the little things like having some more time together as a family. With any luck things will be back to somewhat normal sooner than later. If not there will be time later to come up with a plan on the future.

ImperfectPixie

One of the worst parts of this whole situation is how helpless we all are to really change anything. Anxiety over the unknown is hard to deal with. I know it’s next to impossible to do, but try to relax. It’s out of your hands now. Take things day by day and enjoy the little things like having some more time together as a family. With any luck things will be back to somewhat normal sooner than later. If not there will be time later to come up with a plan on the future.
You hit the nail on the head. I wish Washington would quit the bickering and get something in place so everyone could breathe.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You hit the nail on the head. I wish Washington would quit the bickering and get something in place so everyone could breathe.
Today was a little better. National emergency declared and supposedly the details of a bill to at least address the immediate needs is hammered out if not passed yet. Still too slow on testing though. Very frustrating there.

Calmdownnow

I'm smart enough to see that people are being critical of a company that has publicly stated that they will pay their employees while they're closed.
...for two weeks, but no commitment beyond that. You do understand that a) this is going to go on beyond 2 weeks; and b) many other advanced countries have laws in place that provide such pay protection for much longer regardless of whether the cause is a public health emergency. The U.S. approach to supporting and protecting workers at times like this looks almost 19th century to the rest of the world.

tallica

Honestly look how crowded the parks are right now. A majority of people have no fear of travel right now. This is not 9/11 where people were afraid of domestic terrorist attacks. once the parks are open it will be business as usual. part timers will probably get less hours for a while but full timers should be ok. Remember the majority thinks it is just another flu and will be back to Disney asap.

Jwink

Honestly look how crowded the parks are right now. A majority of people have no fear of travel right now. This is not 9/11 where people were afraid of domestic terrorist attacks. once the parks are open it will be business as usual. part timers will probably get less hours for a while but full timers should be ok. Remember the majority thinks it is just another flu and will be back to Disney asap.
I think they meant about layoffs because of the money Disney will be losing :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom