Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnese

Because some people are smart enough to realize the details matter... not just feel good headlines.

They aren't being attacked -- people are pointing out that the statement doesn't necessarily mean 'whole' or 'as if this wasn't happening'. It can mean people are paid far far less than they normally function with.
I'm smart enough to see that people are being critical of a company that has publicly stated that they will pay their employees while they're closed. It's ridiculous.

JohnD

I honestly think once the parks reopen that within 3-6 months things will be back on track at least domestically. The past five years give or take of less for more has me thinking Disney World is bullet and microbe proof.:cool:

Yeah. COVID 19 lies dormant then “flu season” is back in full swing and here we go again! (That’s the pessimist in me. Sorry.)

JohnD

I'm smart enough to see that people are being critical of a company that has publicly stated that they will pay their employees while they're closed. It's ridiculous.

You’re definitely a glass is half empty person.

smooch

I don’t think I told you not to complain. I was just trying to let you know that you’re young and it’ll be ok.

No you didn't tell me not to complain, I am just getting more worried as this all goes on. I apologize that the tone of my responses came off as rude or annoyed or anything that made it seem like I was trying to argue, I just wanted to add my experience to this thread. Especially because my dad is in the age group where this virus can kill, and he constantly travels across the country for work, and we have people from across the country coming into the office every week or two. I didn't mean to come off as rude, it's just that yesterday so much news had come out along with all the other previous announcements and the stress has just been building up for me. I know I'm not going to get sick and die from this, hopefully I can avoid it completely, but I'm only 20 and the closest thing I have seen was when Swine Flu was going around and while people were scared it was not near this level of panic, there weren't these major shutdowns. This is unprecedented and I really hope we are able to get through this with as minimal impact on our lives as possible, but obviously there are still going to be huge impacts going forward. I hope you and your friends and family are all able to stay safe.

Jwink

True. But part time is hours worked. It’s not a salary. So salaried CMs get leave with pay. Part time get paid for when actually working. I suppose they could get paid on when they were expected to work. That isn’t the norm. But I guess unlikely.
There’s full time hourly too... which my husband falls in to... so I’m not sure what the plan is after the end of the month

flynnibus

Premium Member

Getting to the facts is not 'being critical' - it's being accurate.

flynnibus

Premium Member
True. But part time is hours worked. It’s not a salary. So salaried CMs get leave with pay. Part time get paid for when actually working. I suppose they could get paid on when they were expected to work. That isn’t the norm. But I guess unlikely.

I would expect them to come up with one of two models
1) an average of their normal shifts and pay that
2) an expectation for their job role and pay that

Example: if you are a part time - they assume that is 25 hrs and pay that (random number). If you are hourly but full time it's 40hrs.. whatever the numbers they use.

The challenge is it makes everyone uniform to their role/status vs what they actually do. I'd expect Disney to lean towards #2 as the # of scenarios goes way down... but potentially is the less personalized.

Jwink

As of now the plan is for the parks to open. While that seems likely to change, it is the currently announced plan so there is not much to know about a decision that has not been made.
That’s true... I hadn’t thought of it that way... I’m more thinking like ‘we all know it won’t be opened so ... lol’

ImperfectPixie

No you didn't tell me not to complain, I am just getting more worried as this all goes on. I apologize that the tone of my responses came off as rude or annoyed or anything that made it seem like I was trying to argue, I just wanted to add my experience to this thread. Especially because my dad is in the age group where this virus can kill, and he constantly travels across the country for work, and we have people from across the country coming into the office every week or two. I didn't mean to come off as rude, it's just that yesterday so much news had come out along with all the other previous announcements and the stress has just been building up for me. I know I'm not going to get sick and die from this, hopefully I can avoid it completely, but I'm only 20 and the closest thing I have seen was when Swine Flu was going around and while people were scared it was not near this level of panic, there weren't these major shutdowns. This is unprecedented and I really hope we are able to get through this with as minimal impact on our lives as possible, but obviously there are still going to be huge impacts going forward. I hope you and your friends and family are all able to stay safe.
I know how you feel. I'm more than twice your age and it's really hard not to get caught up in the craziness and panic that are running so rampant right now. I really think the media (and Washington and Wall Street) should be ashamed of themselves for causing the widespread panic reaction that we're seeing.

But...it will be okay. If we're careful around those who are vulnerable (my mom, step-dad, and MIL are all vulnerable, too, and I fully plan on delivering supplies to them if need be) and take extra hygiene precautions, we'll get through it. Most who get sick will be fine - there are no long-lasting lung affects from this virus - and some won't even realize they have or have had it. The best thing we can do is slow the spread - and that's what all these crazy closures will help do. Supply chains haven't been affected, so while grocery stores are emptying quickly at the moment, once everyone is done panic shopping things will normalize on that front. The stock market will recover - it saw the 9th best day in history yesterday, so hopefully the worst is over, but it might not be there quite yet.

While there is no cure for COVID-19, it's not the only bug there's no cure for... and the difference here is that we've already got at least some immunity to the other viruses we come in contact with either through direct contact with them or a vaccine. Time is the key for COVID-19. We need to actively attempt to slow the spread to decrease the number of those sick at the same time so as to avoid overwhelming hospitals and give scientists the time they need to develop a vaccine.

It will all be okay...just give everything and everyone some time to settle down. ❤

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That’s true... I hadn’t thought of it that way... I’m more thinking like ‘we all know it won’t be opened so ... lol’
They have to play their cards close. If they told employees they would be paid beyond the announced closure then word would leak out and people would assume Disney is planning to extend the closure beyond what was announced. They don’t want to put that idea out there since nobody knows for sure what’s going to happen.

Jwink

They have to play their cards close. If they told employees they would be paid beyond the announced closure then word would leak out and people would assume Disney is planning to extend the closure beyond what was announced. They don’t want to put that idea out there since nobody knows for sure what’s going to happen.
Do you think they would pay if it goes beyond this first closure?

MrHappy

From the Connecticut epidemiologist, Dr. Matt Cartter:
"If you have a fever and cough, and are in the south western part of the state (closest to NY boarder) you should assume you have the coronavirus. You don't need a test to tell you that's what you have. You should assume that's the illness you have. Most people will get better at home."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom