Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickMaio

So as long as people are giving diseases to themselves then it's all good? It's just they don't want OTHER people giving them diseases. Got it. LOL! The point is that there are WAY more serious diseases and health conditions that are SELF INFLICTED and KILL WAAAAAY more people than this "crisis" is doing. It's the common cold for the vast majority of people that catch it. People are overreacting to something they have a 99.5% chance of surviving and it's pretty clear to me why you being a drama queen about this when you tell someone to "google something" to find out about it. LOL! I just told you that I talked to an actual pharmacist and not some idiot on the internet that told me it was totally getting blown out of proportion. I just hope all the smokers and drinkers and morbidly obese people will realize they are at much greater risk of dying by what they smoke, drink, or eat than they are of dying by this totally blown out of proportion case of the common cold. Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson, and Rudy Gober are fine, btw, so we can all rest easy knowing that. LOL!

My issue is that you are comparing apples to viruses.....it holds no ground. People can not get sick and spread obesity to others?
Your entire country is not in a state of EMERGENCY for something that is blown up out of proportion.
This is serious - - - the more you treat it as such the better it will be for everyone.
An actual pharmacist - - - Is NOT a front line medical worker.
My wife and her entire family are doctors and nurses, I am talking 8 members of her immediate family. These are the people you should be talking to, not some Walgreens pill pusher.
It is not just the mortality rate here, for the millionth time. This virus will hospitalize 15 percent of the people who get it also 5-8 percent between 30 to 90 years of age will need a ventilator.
Your health care system will be pushed to collapse if nothing is done.
Attitudes like yours might even kill people. Educate yourself before you wreck your country!!!

NickMaio

Calm down. You have a 99.5% chance of surviving and so does everyone else that has this new boogeyman virus. Just like how ebola, ecoli, West Nile, H1N1, SARS, Swine Flu, and every other supposed "catastrophe" went away so will this one. I've got way more important things to worry about like actual deadly diseases like heart disease, diabetes, obesity, COPD, liver disease, and other things that people seem to have no fear of. It's weird how people are so dismissive of those but think this common cold virus is gonna kill millions. Apparently, old Lysol bottles claimed to kill the corona virus. Once John Stossel done a sorta "man on the street" segment where he went and told people there was this thing with a really technical name that was killing thousands every year and he had a petition demanding the ban of it but needed signatures. People would of course sign it and then he would say "you just signed to ban water". This is no different. Suddenly, everyone on social media is a "medical expert" since they can "google" things. I'll just live over here in reality where we have a 99.5% chance of survival and take my chances handling literally HUNDREDS of boxes DAILY from ALL OVER THE WORLD on my job. Maybe you'll get lucky though and I'll be one of the 0.5% that actually dies from it.
99.5% chance of survival - - - Your math makes no sense. At all - - - almost 4% of people have died from this. This stat WILL get higher.
Also these figures are not representative given that China did not record deaths for over a MONTH!!! - They denied the issue openly.
https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/685d0ace521648f8a5beeeee1b9125cd - - - - - - - -
If you are going to get any info go to www.who.it - - -
Your tinfoil hat can have some very serious repercussions for others around you.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Honestly look how crowded the parks are right now. A majority of people have no fear of travel right now.
Exactly. People look at each other and their kids, think "we're not in the high risk group, and I can handle a heavy cold..."

And it's off to heigh-ho they go!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Honestly look how crowded the parks are right now. A majority of people have no fear of travel right now. This is not 9/11 where people were afraid of domestic terrorist attacks. once the parks are open it will be business as usual. part timers will probably get less hours for a while but full timers should be ok. Remember the majority thinks it is just another flu and will be back to Disney asap.

The problem isn't fear of traveling... It's the 'fear of economic stability' enough to take big expensive vacations.

The ripple effect these shutdowns have on the economy are going to be unprecedented because no one is immune. All kinds of work is being shutdown... that means all kinds of families are having their income impacted. That means they stop spending... so now the next wave is hit by soft demand.. and they contract.. and it keeps going.

Look at a simple example of schools. Schools close... daycares follow suit. Parents take their kids out of daycare and stop paying for it. Now the daycare can't pay its people... now the daycare can't afford to pay its rent. Now the landlord has their revenue impacted...

It goes on and on. The problem is when you stop all activity.. everyone's revenues stop, but unless something is done to stop their expenses... everyone goes deep deep in the red.

Think about something as basic as your property taxes... people afford them based on having revenue. If you suddenly lose 20%+ of your business season... your property taxes just got a heck of a lot harder to pay. This goes on and on.. So much of people's expenses are NOT going to go down or match their declining revenue. That will crush people.

It's not the virus that will haunt the tourism industry for the rest of the year and beyond.. it's the economy.

tallica

The problem isn't fear of traveling... It's the 'fear of economic stability' enough to take big expensive vacations.

The ripple effect these shutdowns have on the economy are going to be unprecedented because no one is immune. All kinds of work is being shutdown... that means all kinds of families are having their income impacted. That means they stop spending... so now the next wave is hit by soft demand.. and they contract.. and it keeps going.

Look at a simple example of schools. Schools close... daycares follow suit. Parents take their kids out of daycare and stop paying for it. Now the daycare can't pay its people... now the daycare can't afford to pay its rent. Now the landlord has their revenue impacted...

It goes on and on. The problem is when you stop all activity.. everyone's revenues stop, but unless something is done to stop their expenses... everyone goes deep deep in the red.

Think about something as basic as your property taxes... people afford them based on having revenue. If you suddenly lose 20%+ of your business season... your property taxes just got a heck of a lot harder to pay. This goes on and on.. So much of people's expenses are NOT going to go down or match their declining revenue. That will crush people.

It's not the virus that will haunt the tourism industry for the rest of the year and beyond.. it's the economy.
People will continue to spend beyond their means and Disney will be just fine. And this is coming from a guy that is usually a half empty kind of person.

MrHappy

From the Connecticut epidemiologist, Dr. Matt Cartter:
"If you have a fever and cough, and are in the south western part of the state (closest to NY boarder) you should assume you have the coronavirus. You don't need a test to tell you that's what you have. You should assume that's the illness you have. Most people will get better at home."
I'll be the guy who quotes his own quote. But I want to emphasize the opinion of an expert (fine, it's a CT expert, but still). The last sentence, 'you will get better'.
Hope that makes our nights a little more comforting.

Jwink

He is sitting good, many below him on the totem pole
I know and I probably sound like a broken record and a pessimist… So forgive me… But I feel like they would let go people who make a lot of money instead of the people who make less money… But he is protected by the union so I think there are steps they have to take before laying off union members at least seniority wise

flynnibus

Premium Member
People will continue to spend beyond their means and Disney will be just fine. And this is coming from a guy that is usually a half empty kind of person.

Keep thinking that... hundreds of billions of dollars are being knocked out of the economic cycle. People are going to be laid off en mass. That kind of noise doesn't go unnoticed and recession doesn't get ignored by people out of work.

tallica

Keep thinking that... hundreds of billions of dollars are being knocked out of the economic cycle. People are going to be laid off en mass. That kind of noise doesn't go unnoticed and recession doesn't get ignored by people out of work.
We shall see, you make a good point, but I hope I am right🤓

MrHappy

Anyone else watching cable news and....try to filter hyperbole vs valuable info. For instance Rachel Meadows, regardless of your op, she presented facts an hour ago, however, I dont think those charts were the best indication of.....well.....anything.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Think of how many people are being impacted by just the sports teams shutting down.

Think about how many vendors work at those venues
Think about how many travel and hospitality workers work at the hotels around those venues
Think about how many people sell team merchandise
Think about how many people work in broadcasting those games.. and all the TV network people behind those broadcasts

Then multiply that by 30 MLB teams, 30 NBA teams, 31 NHL teams, how many golf events there are every week, etc

These teams generate hundreds of millions of dollars in economic activity in these cities... and all of that is being put on ice. All of that economic activity drives tens of thousands of workers... many of whom will have no income during this time.

And that's just one slice... imagine if you are a catering company... and now everyone around you has banned all large gatherings... Who is going to 'pay you during the closure' if you are a services company?

It goes on and on. This will decimate many.

DisneyCane

Think of how many people are being impacted by just the sports teams shutting down.

Think about how many vendors work at those venues
Think about how many travel and hospitality workers work at the hotels around those venues
Think about how many people sell team merchandise
Think about how many people work in broadcasting those games.. and all the TV network people behind those broadcasts

Then multiply that by 30 MLB teams, 30 NBA teams, 31 NHL teams, how many golf events there are every week, etc

These teams generate hundreds of millions of dollars in economic activity in these cities... and all of that is being put on ice. All of that economic activity drives tens of thousands of workers... many of whom will have no income during this time.

And that's just one slice... imagine if you are a catering company... and now everyone around you has banned all large gatherings... Who is going to 'pay you during the closure' if you are a services company?

It goes on and on. This will decimate many.

It will be interesting to see the details of the bill that Pelosi and Mnuchin agreed to. Reports are that there is paid leave in there. The question is, is it only for people sick with or caring for people sick with the virus or is it also for people furloughed by closures due to the virus. We shall see.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It will be interesting to see the details of the bill that Pelosi and Mnuchin agreed to. Reports are that there is paid leave in there. The question is, is it only for people sick with or caring for people sick with the virus or is it also for people furloughed by closures due to the virus. We shall see.
My guess is this bill is just the immediate help. Once the dust settles a longer term stimulus will be needed. Certain industries will also need specific help. It’s gonna cost a whole bunch, but necessary.

ImperfectPixie

That's going to be key...helping those who are dealing with the virus itself is all well and good, but every American is going to feel this financially whether they get sick or not.

DisneyCane

Anyone else watching cable news and....try to filter hyperbole vs valuable info. For instance Rachel Meadows, regardless of your op, she presented facts an hour ago, however, I dont think those charts were the best indication of.....well.....anything.

The only way to really get valuable info on any cable news channel is maybe when they have an infectious disease expert or at least a doctor doing the explaining. Rachel Maddow (or any other anchor) has no expertise at all and generally doesn't know what they are talking about regarding facts and technical details. They are mostly reading what somebody throws up on a teleprompter.

I'd put the hyperbole at least at 87% without watching. For valuable info go to the CDC website and/or the state department of health websites for the states having outbreaks (which is almost all at this point).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom