• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Jwink

Try to be/live as healthy as possible and you will lesson your chances of having serious complications when you get other illnesses. Pretty basic.
I disagree here. My friend works the front lines (first NYC and then Miami as a traveling covid nurse) and she said that while most fatalities were in older people with underlying conditions that it was not uncommon for a young 30 year old with no underlying conditions to have serious complications. Take that broadway guy Nick. He was in amazing shape! He passed away.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I disagree here. My friend works the front lines (first NYC and then Miami as a traveling covid nurse) and she said that while most fatalities were in older people with underlying conditions that it was not uncommon for a young 30 year old with no underlying conditions to have serious complications. Take that broadway guy Nick. He was in amazing shape! He passed away.
There are outliers. That doesn’t change what occurs the vast majority of the time. Stay healthy. The chances are on your side. Significantly.

we have had this conversation a bunch. No need to go through it again

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Um, not really.

Underweight is a BMI below 18.5.
Normal is a BMI between 18.5 and 24.9
Obesity is defined as a BMI above 30.

A person who is 5ft tall: normal = 91-115lbs. overweight = 119-138 Obese = 153+ (using the NIH BMI calculator)

So even for a person who is 5ft tall- on the short side - the difference between the upper end of normal and obese is a difference of 38 pounds.

The average height of a newborn is 18-22 inches. For an infant that is 24 inches tall- the upper range of normal is 20 lbs, with obese at 25 lbs.

So, technically you are correct, but 5 pounds difference in a NEWBORN is a big weight difference!

Charts do have some variability, as muscle weighs more than fat. A very muscular person can rank overweight, when really they aren't. so the BMI scale isn't a perfect guide, but saying the range is 5 pounds is rather misleading.

Then again, I think most folks already know all this.
BMI is the most worthless measurement! If we use BMI as a comorbidity, then 85 percent of people have a comorbidity!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
BMI is the most worthless measurement! If we use BMI as a comorbidity, then 85 percent of people have a comorbidity!
I think that is the whole point. Obesity is defined as a BMI over 30 and obesity would be listed as a comorbidity. Almost half of US adults also have high blood pressure, also a comorbidity. These are some of the reasons 94% of Covid deaths had a comorbidity listed and a lot had more than one.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
from the below article...

“Here is a statement from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, Lynn Stutfin:
Since the start of the pandemic, older individuals and those with underlying conditions were considered the most vulnerable to this deadly virus and likely to have the most severe outcomes. This recently released CDC data reinforces that information. Michigan is sharing its case and death data with researchers, with appropriate provisions to protect privacy, to learn more about the relationship between comorbidities and COVID-19 among Michiganders.”

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
And in not so good news, the former leader of the free world is not going to participate in the global effort to manufacture and distribute a potential vaccine. Geez, remember when we used to be at the forefront of these kinds of things?
No politics in this thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom