Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmascari

So now that the CDC has confirmed that only 6% of deaths reported are from COVID with no comorbidity, can we stop the madness?
Stop the madness? Did we read the same stat here? I'm not sure 6% of the people I know have no comorbidity at all. I read this, and think, wow in 6% of the deaths the person was in some miraculous pristine condition and they STILL died.

If you're hanging out with a crowd full of people with no comorbidity at all, and hence no preexisting conditions either, wow. Probably not many mothers in that group either, childbirth is fraught with peril and leaves most with some impact. At least some impact that will show up in stats.

It's not just because it's been politicized. The US economy didn't shut down from the plague, small pox, ebola and e.coli.
They didn't have an uncontrolled community spread phase in the US that required breaking the infection chain. Any time the community spread rate is low enough, and you have sufficient rapid testing to identify, isolate, and contact trace you can contain the infectious spread without more drastic isolation measures. It's harder when spread happens before symptoms, but not impossible. It does require better testing, faster testing, along with some community surveillance testing to find missed gaps. But, it's entirely possible to test, identify, trace, repeat fast enough to contain instead of slow the the infectious spread. Even with no vaccine available.

We need to do a better job as a country making sure people have the help they need. This isn’t going to end any time soon and will only get worse. The government is just so broken right now. It’s heart breaking to see people suffer.

I've read that we're only 6 to 8 weeks away from containing the infection. Assuming we do the stuff to contain the spread instead of simply slow the spread. I'm sure that time will increase as the number infected while slowed is still growing making the problem harder to deal with. We've been this same 6 to 8 weeks away for months, still not doing what needs to be done, still not starting that time window at all. :(

Which makes no sense, as it could have the entire economy opened back up in 2 months time. Hopefully we'll get there before my rescheduled WDW trip, the restricted current offering isn't really for me.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Exactly. This is the biggest piece of non-news since this all started. We’ve heard from the start that pre-existing conditions put you at much higher risk for serious infection and/or death. That is proved out with the stat that 94% of deaths from Covid have a co-morbidity. The narrative that only 6% of Covid deaths are really from Covid is a complete misunderstanding of the meaning of co-morbidity either from ignorance or more likely intentionally. Then you get idiots tweeting and re-tweeting it and away it goes. The fact that Twitter has removed the original Tweet which came from a conspiracy theory account for violating their policy is irrelevant. Once the tweet was re-tweeted the damage is done and people continue to believe it.
I would like people on all sides (I hate that there are sides) to stop misrepresenting or misinterpreting data and cases intentionally.

Edit: and equally, blowing off data and information because it doesn’t align with what they believe. I’ll leave it at that.

mmascari

Maybe worst is losing that testing capability. Not a good move if you want rapid results.

From the article: Most of the data was more than two weeks old, with some as old as five months.

That's not really "rapid results". There isn't anything actionable you can do on a test result that takes that long. It might have some after the fact statistical spread reporting value. But, there's nothing you can do to slow or contain the spread. Someone has either already quarantined for long enough or not. Nobody did any contact tracing when it was valuable, and it's not valuable after this much time.

The two week plus test result is useless for containing the infectious spread. Worse, it's wasting resources on a useless outcome, which makes it actively harmful. Better to not use it at all.

This doesn't mean there should be less testing. It means there should be more useful testing and less testing waste.

Chip Chipperson

From the article: Most of the data was more than two weeks old, with some as old as five months.

That's not really "rapid results". There isn't anything actionable you can do on a test result that takes that long. It might have some after the fact statistical spread reporting value. But, there's nothing you can do to slow or contain the spread. Someone has either already quarantined for long enough or not. Nobody did any contact tracing when it was valuable, and it's not valuable after this much time.

The two week plus test result is useless for containing the infectious spread. Worse, it's wasting resources on a useless outcome, which makes it actively harmful. Better to not use it at all.

This doesn't mean there should be less testing. It means there should be more useful testing and less testing waste.

I certainly hope the patients weren't kept waiting for that entire time and this was just a matter of the State not being informed. Otherwise, this is even worse.

deeevo

Just...no. My mother-in-law, who was (is?) a resort manager, currently furloughed AS THE RESORT IS STILL CLOSED (non-Disney) is just supposed to go get a manufacturing job?

You are drastically oversimplifying the solution, and clearly have no idea the extent of what is actually happening.

And by-the-way, that 2K per month was far less than what she normally made as she is a 20+ yr employee.
Yep, it sucks and sometimes things happen for a reason and maybe starting something new will be a positive. I have been there many times and yes I did go into manufacturing 15 years ago with zero experience and it was the best decision I ever made. It wasn't easy and busted my butt to learn everything I could. I really hope it works out for her.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

If it is two weeks now what is it if the largest private testing lab is shut out?

Somehow this data piled up, the tests didn't, the data report did. I would be for working with them to see what went wrong rather than showing them the door. They have something I want.

DCBaker

Premium Member
I certainly hope the patients weren't kept waiting for that entire time and this was just a matter of the State not being informed. Otherwise, this is even worse.

"The state said that while the results were withheld from the state, people who tested positive were notified of their test result."

gljvd

The US has never been hit by anything other than very isolated cases of plague and ebola. In case you haven't noticed, food is routinely recalled for E. coli contamination, and it is only transmissible via the fecal-oral route anyway. Meaning, not something you can catch by just being near someone who has it.

Smallpox hasn't existed in the US since 1949, and although it tended not to cause nationwide epidemics, historically individual towns would effectively shut down when cases started to pop up.

The world economy shut down because we were suddenly hit by a new, highly infectious disease that was overwhelming the ability of our health care systems to manage it.

We shut down because of the point we are at in technology. If as a unified world we were able to roll out tests back in March we never would have shut down. We would have low the death rate was and how it was targeting the elderly. We would have locked the elderly down for a few months and all of this would have run its course.

bpiper

The article in the Sentinel states that is was a state reporting delay, the individuals got their results shortly after testing.

DeSantis stressed that “the individuals who tested positive at that time were notified by the lab, which is obviously very important. The lab just did not submit those results to the state. ... That’s not acceptable.”

Work with Quest to fix the problem.... Don't shut them out. This will make the testing delays and test counts even worse....

Or is that by design? 🤔

mmascari

"The state said that while the results were withheld from the state, people who tested positive were notified of their test result."

That's good to hear. At least for individuals who could take the actions they personally needed to take.

Still, doesn't help any contact tracing based off the reporting to the state. The individuals could still tell people they felt comfortable telling about the result at least.

One of the reasons the public health system does contact tracing instead of employers or just private individuals, is to allow some anonymity in the reporting. A person can tell the public health system all their contacts without worry that it exposes them to something they didn't want to disclose (presumably). Unlike an employer that they may not want to tell they were at a bar on Tuesday. There's no way to do this tracing without the information being reported fast enough. We're back at not containing the spread, merely slowing.

If it is two weeks now what is it if the largest private testing lab is shut out?

Somehow this data piled up, the tests didn't, the data report did. I would be for working with them to see what went wrong rather than showing them the door. They have something I want.
There's not enough information in the reporting to know the root causes or any resolutions that were tried. From the reporting, it sounds like it was a surprise. With a surprise like that, I can see where fixing the process would seem unlikely, but that's an assumption and opinion. Likewise, an assumption in the speed and availability of testing has been reported linked to testing supplies, like reagent. Eliminating a large lab that's unable to process and report results fast enough to be useful could eliminate their use of supplies and allow someone else to use them that is able to operate fast enough. Or, not, there's not enough nuance in the story to tell. Which is frequently true in the reporting.

To contain the spread, what we need is fast reliable easy access testing that leads to a cycle of identify, test, isolate, trace, identify repeated fast enough to outpace the speed at which the infection grows.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I would like people on all sides (I hate that there are sides) to stop misrepresenting or misinterpreting data and cases intentionally.

Edit: and equally, blowing off data and information because it doesn’t align with what they believe. I’ll leave it at that.
Sure I agree with that, but I also don’t think for a second that it’s somehow justified to put stuff out there like this that has no shred of accuracy what so ever just because the “other side” is also misrepresenting data. There are disagreements on interpretation of data or grey areas and then there are blatant, bold faced lies. This thing falls into the second category.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom