Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCamel

They need to post it and note it then move on. It does no good to delay and deny. Those tests were run and they came out how they came out. A blip does not make a trend to make decisions on.

My question is can the state afford to lose the Quest testing capability? I don't think so, they are the largest.

Mark52479

They need to post it and note it then move on. It does no good to delay and deny. Those tests were run and they came out how they came out. A blip does not make a trend to make decisions on.

They will probably put a * next to today's numbers like they did couple of weeks ago when there was the big dump in Miami. That is probably the delay with actually releasing the numbers.

But today's numbers will be WITHOUT the dump..... 3,700 new cases and 5.9% positivity rate

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1598978226629.png

1598978278845.png

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Let's say there is this couple: one has diabetes, the other doesn't.

They catch COVID. They both die.

To say that only the one who didn't have diabetes was *truly* a COVID death, but the one who had diabetes didn't *really* die of COVID is the height of stupidity.

And yet, that's what the six percenters are saying.

In all the annals of medical history when we report the deaths from plague and small pox and ebola and e.coli, we have never teased out from those figures those who had comorbidities... because that would be stupid.

It is only now, in this politicized era where there is a group of people desperately trying to downplay the death of two hundred thousand Americans (and closing in on a million people worldwide) is anyone at anytime making a distinction between "real COVID deaths" and... I don't know what they would call it... a million extra *coincidental* deaths?

That is never how public health officials and policy ever did it. For good reason.

So, when people say "what conspiracy"? Well, here's one. It's another form of science denial.

AmishGuy91

To say that only the one who didn't have diabetes was *truly* a COVID death, but the one who had diabetes didn't *really* die of COVID is the height of stupidity.

In all the annals of medical history when we report the deaths from plague and small pox and ebola and e.coli, we have never teased out from those figures those who had comorbidities... because that would be stupid.

It is only now, in this politicized era where there is a group of people desperately trying to downplay the death of two hundred thousand Americans (and closing in on a million people worldwide) is anyone at anytime making a distinction between "real COVID deaths" and... I don't know what they would call it... a million extra *coincidental* deaths?

That is never how public health officials and policy ever did it. For good reason.

So, when people say "what conspiracy"? Well, here's one. It's another form of science denial.

Well said. I have asthma but I'm not going to die from it. But if I get Covid there's always the chance I could die...but because I have asthma that makes the death less significant in terms of Covid? Ridiculous

Heppenheimer

So now that the CDC has confirmed that only 6% of deaths reported are from COVID with no comorbidity, can we stop the madness?
"Co-morbidities" include extremely common conditions like asthma, high cholesterol, diabetes, hypertension, COPD, chronic kidney disease, coronary artery disease, chronic anemia and congestive heart failure. Millions of Americans walk around and live productive lives with two or more of these conditions. Unless your social group consists only of people in their 20s, many of the people in your life fall within this group.

This idea that we over-reacted because COVID only kills people with comorbidities might be the most noxious idea I've seen come out of this pandemic yet.

deeevo

It's not just because it's been politicized. The US economy didn't shut down from the plague, small pox, ebola and e.coli.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It is only now, in this politicized era where there is a group of people desperately trying to downplay
Nah. This and conspiracy theories are not a type of new phenomenon. Social media and live streams have just elevated it. With millions of people in the US and billions around the world, it is bound to happen. But during major crises, and with on demand information the way it is today, it is easier to notice.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

The problem is nobody is looking for “science” or the truth. This has become political and when retweeted by someone who people believe unilaterally no matter what is said it has become a fact for them. No amount of logic or reason will convince people otherwise so it’s a waste of time trying. As long as it doesn’t impact policy decisions it’s mostly harmless for people to believe these conspiracy theories no matter how ridiculous they are.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
It's not just because it's been politicized. The US economy didn't shut down from the plague, small pox, ebola and e.coli.

You're confusing public policy over responding to a pandemic with the statistical parameters of the virus.

The six percenters are floating a theory that the deaths are actually six percent less than reported. That's absurd.

ImperfectPixie

The problem is nobody is looking for “science” or the truth. This has become political and when retweeted by someone who people believe unilaterally no matter what is said it has become a fact for them. No amount of logic or reason will convince people otherwise so it’s a waste of time trying. As long as it doesn’t impact policy decisions it’s mostly harmless for people to believe these conspiracy theories no matter how ridiculous they are.
Except during a pandemic...as we've seen by anti-maskers, etc...it's not harmless.

Heppenheimer

The US has never been hit by anything other than very isolated cases of plague and ebola. In case you haven't noticed, food is routinely recalled for E. coli contamination, and it is only transmissible via the fecal-oral route anyway. Meaning, not something you can catch by just being near someone who has it.

Smallpox hasn't existed in the US since 1949, and although it tended not to cause nationwide epidemics, historically individual towns would effectively shut down when cases started to pop up.

The world economy shut down because we were suddenly hit by a new, highly infectious disease that was overwhelming the ability of our health care systems to manage it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Except during a pandemic...as we've seen by anti-maskers, etc...it's not harmless.
Most of the people (including the ones posting here) may talk big about this stuff, but very few follow through with actions. The vast majority put their masks on and stand in line 6 feet apart from the next person like the rest of us. It’s real easy to talk a big game on some anonymous online forum.

Disstevefan1

Social distancing is most important. Most effective. This isn’t my opinion. It is just accurate. Of course masks add an additional layer of protection that is even more important when you can’t social distance. The reason I call this out is that masks shouldn’t lead to a false sense of security.

We all agree distancing is effective, I am just saying it easier to comply with masks and hand washing for individuals. It’s more of a challenge to keep folks away from you if they don’t comply. Sometimes there is no where to go to remove yourself from crowding; one moment it’s clear around you then the next moment there are folks around you, just Saying.

I see photos of the China theme parks 100 percent mask Compliance, zero distancing.

deeevo

The US has never been hit by anything other than very isolated cases of plague and ebola. In case you haven't noticed, food is routinely recalled for E. coli contamination, and it is only transmissible via the fecal-oral route anyway. Meaning, not something you can catch by just being near someone who has it.

Smallpox hasn't existed in the US since 1949, and although it tended not to cause nationwide epidemics, historically individual towns would effectively shut down when cases started to pop up.

The world economy shut down because we were suddenly hit by a new, highly infectious disease that was overwhelming the ability of our health care systems to manage it.

Thanks for the history lesson.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We all agree distancing is effective, I am just saying it easier to comply with masks and hand washing for individuals. It’s more of a challenge to keep folks away from you if they don’t comply. Sometimes there is no where to go to remove yourself from crowding; one moment it’s clear around you then the next moment there are folks around you, just Saying.

I see photos of the China theme parks 100 percent mask Compliance, zero distancing.
This is definitely true. The combination of masks, distancing and hand washing is all needed. Not 1 or 2 but all 3. The 6 foot rule is also a benchmark distance not an absolute. That’s one of the risks with indoor dining. You remove the mask and rely solely on the tables being 6 feet apart to stop infection. We’ve seen evidence that especially with AC blowing that’s not always enough. Masks are effective but not 100% effective. Another factor is length and location of exposure. If you are outside and pass next to a person you are much less likely to be infected than if you stand or sit next to them for 15+ minutes.

Hand washing is universally a good thing but only removes the threat of infection by surface contact. With this virus that isn’t the primary source of infection but still a way to get it so always wash up.

lazyboy97o

Most of the people (including the ones posting here) may talk big about this stuff, but very few follow through with actions. The vast majority put their masks on and stand in line 6 feet apart from the next person like the rest of us. It’s real easy to talk a big game on some anonymous online forum.
One of the things we have learned is that various social media platforms are not just an inconsequential lark. One of the harsh realities of psychology that we never want to acknowledge is that we are all a lot more impressionable than we realize. Any one individual post may not be of consequence but it is part of a normalizing process that does lead to not only the acceptance of misinformation which does eventually influence action. Action does not have to be deliberate, big actions either. Just repeating the misinformation can be a negative action, or even unconscious acts such as being less mindful of how a mask is being worn or distancing.

Chi84

Premium Member

According to the CDC, the main risk of infection is from being indoors in close contact with an infected person for 15 minutes or more. The social distancing that is most important (and may be most difficult for some) is to avoid large indoor gatherings such as holiday celebrations, graduation parties, weddings, church services, and that type of thing. From what I am seeing people are going back to doing these things wearing masks, often incorrectly, and with no distancing whatsoever. If that's the best they can do, then it's better than nothing. Postponing those events or making a greater attempt at wearing masks correctly while maintaining a distance would be much better.

People walking on the street or at our local arboretum seem to stay away from each other if they are not wearing masks. If they are all wearing masks, no distance is maintained. I don't think there's really any harm in this, because the chances of getting Covid from walking past someone outside is very low. So outdoors, even at a theme park, 100 percent mask compliance with zero distancing may work just fine. The only problem would be standing next to someone in a long line - then the 6 foot distance would be more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom