Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneygeek90

I'm glad to see this because I don't believe that wearing masks outside at Disney will do anything at all to prevent the spread of the virus, especially in light of the type of masks people are wearing them and how they are wearing them.

That said, the people who believe that masks are not that effective need to stop acting like donkeys. I just saw another video of some woman coughing and spitting all over employees who asked her to comply with their store's mask requirement. It's not your call - the decisions regarding mask-wearing are being made by government officials and businesses that are acting entirely within their authority in making those rules. These decisions need to be made despite the fact that little is known about the virus - so give them a break. Unlike the sacrifices made by prior generations, no one is asking you to go to war. This isn't about your constitutional rights. And please stop denigrating the phrase "my body, my choice." It's a mask.
To be fair, they've had several weeks with no cases. Based on general logic, it's probably safe to assume it's easier to catch the virus inside more than outside, though not impossible to still transmit outdoors. It makes sense to keep masks both inside and out in our current situation when we are nowhere near a decline.

Chi84

Premium Member
Totally agree with this. I'm not a fan of the whole mask wearing thing. But at the same time, I get that if I want to go onto someone's private property and that's their rule, then so be it.

The GA Aquarium opened today for the first time, they asked everyone to wear a mask to get in, so I did. (Well worth the experience, btw).

That said, that was in a fully indoor, climate controlled environment. I'm definitely worried how things will be outside in July/August in Florida. Wearing a mask for a couple of hours at KSC a couple of weeks ago was bad enough.
Oh, I'm definitely concerned about the face mask requirements - I have trouble breathing in a mask. That's why I hope this doesn't turn into a situation where mask-wearing becomes "the right thing to do to protect others" despite little or no actual evidence that it is effective. We need to keep our minds open and to keep evaluating the evidence as it is collected. My response to mask requirements is to stay home as much as possible to avoid wearing them, and a Disney trip is totally out of the question under these circumstances. But sometimes you just have to err on the side of caution, and I'm willing to do this right now.

Ldno

They actually posted some news that stated that masks did help control the spread according to the WHO but going to disney outlet got a little taste of the mask enforcement policy, was not fun. in san antonio the minimum age for kids to wear masks is 10, at the store is 2, so of course i did not have masks for them, but the guy at the door was like sorry sir, can’t let you in if your kids won’t wear one, luckily they had two Left at the door that they were handing out for guests without one.

Halfway through shopping my girlfriend slid her mask down in the store and quickly a disney store employee came over to make her put it on real fast, imagine this at the parks, I will gladly wait to go there when it’s slows down with the masks enforcement policy heck, i don’t mind wearing one, but damn disney enforced it more than walmart/target ever done...

on another note, they had some sweet deals at the outlet, heck walked away with park merch i saw at the parks back in march for dirt cheap!!! Even the shop disney site has extra coupons to match the discounts at the outlets lolol

TrojanUSC

Oh, I'm definitely concerned about the face mask requirements - I have trouble breathing in a mask. That's why I hope this doesn't turn into a situation where mask-wearing becomes "the right thing to do to protect others" despite little or no actual evidence that it is effective. We need to keep our minds open and to keep evaluating the evidence as it is collected. My response to mask requirements is to stay home as much as possible to avoid wearing them, and a Disney trip is totally out of the question under these circumstances. But sometimes you just have to err on the side of caution, and I'm willing to do this right now.

Meanwhile, back in the real world...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So wait... how’s Florida doing?

1592118048697.png

1592118094996.png

Tavernacle12

I’m pretty sure EVERY scientific body has ruled masks as effective. They are 100% “the right thing to do to protect others.” Wear a mask, wash your hands, stay six feet from others, don’t go out if you feel sick.

When will people realize that it's the death rate that matters?

Only if governments actually attribute it correctly...

robhedin

When will people realize that it's the death rate that matters?
I'd say that while death rate may be useful, hospitalization utilization due to CV is more important; if hospitals are overwhelmed, then it's likely that more people will die; if there is plenty of capacity, then that rate may well do down.

Chi84

Premium Member
Well, the headline is impressive. The articles says most of the studies analyzed face masks worn in hospitals or other medical settings and some took place in households where an infected person lived. I would imagine the masks were being worn properly.

Otherwise, I don't think these studies add to what has already been said about the masks being effective at stopping liquid droplets. "The studies don't settle the question of whether the protective benefit of a face mask derives from the barrier it creates - or from the behavior changes it might prompt. The mask could remind people not to touch their faces or serve as a visual reminder of a dangerous virus lurking." The masks certainly do those things.

My concern is that people might stop after the headline and get the idea that the masks do more than they've actually been shown to do.

DisneyDebRob

Isn’t it whatever statistic that looks best that matters? Three weeks ago all we heard was percent positive, percent positive, percent positive...now that that is going up it‘s death rate?
That’s because the goal posts moved again. Now it’s of course as the percent positive is going up, there’s more testing. True, it will go up but since it’s rising a lot in many places, it went to hospitalizations. Few states that’s on the uptick so now it’s the death rate. Last time I looked at that, we’re are closing in on 125,000. Remember when this whole thing was a farce because there was only a few thousand dead?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well, the headline is impressive. The articles says most of the studies analyzed face masks worn in hospitals or other medical settings and some took place in households where an infected person lived. I would imagine the masks were being worn properly.

Otherwise, I don't think these studies add to what has already been said about the masks being effective at stopping liquid droplets. "The studies don't settle the question of whether the protective benefit of a face mask derives from the barrier it creates - or from the behavior changes it might prompt. The mask could remind people not to touch their faces or serve as a visual reminder of a dangerous virus lurking." The masks certainly do those things.

My concern is that people might stop after the headline and get the idea that the masks do more than they've actually been shown to do.
Wayne Gretzky‘s famous quote comes to mind. “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take”. Masks might not be 100% effective but they are more effective than no mask at all. Even if people sometimes pull them down or wear them wrong its still better than not wearing them at all. When masks are combined with other measures the cumulative effect is the best we can do right now to get things open while protecting people (especially workers).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That’s because the goal posts moved again. Now it’s of course as the percent positive is going up, there’s more testing. True, it will go up but since it’s rising a lot in many places, it went to hospitalizations. Few states that’s on the uptick so now it’s the death rate. Last time I looked at that, we’re are closing in on 125,000. Remember when this whole thing was a farce because there was only a few thousand dead?
I said this earlier, but I don’t even know why there are goal posts anymore. Why not just call it like it is? We tried the stay at home orders and lock downs and now we are opening everything and trying something else. It doesn’t have to be some scientific approach.

DisneyDebRob

I said this earlier, but I don’t even know why there are goal posts anymore. Why not just call it like it is? We tried the stay at home orders and lock downs and now we are opening everything and trying something else. It doesn’t have to be some scientific approach.
There will always be goal posts with everything. Every side needs something to have their own. Can you imagine if everyone agreed on something? That would surely be the end of the world. I think after 9/11 was the closest we came to being close and supportive of the guy or girl next to us. Of course that didn’t last long but I remember it well.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There will always be goal posts with everything. Every side needs something to have their own. Can you imagine if everyone agreed on something? That would surely be the end of the world. I think after 9/11 was the closest we came to being close and supportive of the guy or girl next to us. Of course that didn’t last long but I remember it well.
I agree, but that’s more cable news and social media driven than anything else. Actually if you look back to April 1 the vast majority of the country agreed on stay at home orders. Polling at the time was over 80% in favor. The federal government including POTUS and VP were firmly behind the orders and said so in daily briefings. Outside of a handful of states almost all governors from both parties supported stay at home orders. It was a bi-partisan, almost unanimous decision. Flash forward to today and certain “media types” try to make it out like one side wanted lock downs and the other side was opposed. It’s a false narrative pushed by both sides because Fox News and CNN get better ratings when the narrative is that an issue is us vs them. The reality is we are more similar than people realize. People just need to take a break from the echo chambers (on both sides) to realize we all want the same things when it comes to this pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom