Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have never before and never will call it a hoax. It is definitely real. I'm sorry, but "models" are only as good as the data it is looking at, and as far as this virus is concerned - the models are all over the place depending on what narrative that the people doing the modeling want to present.
To be clear...I’m not labeling you a hoaxer. I apologize for hitting you with friendly fire.

But a lot of these clowns around this neighborhood have done that...and I hope they occasionally hear it.

1591726388287.png

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Yeah, I can. That number of deaths in a country with 320M people is pretty constant year after year.
But not when this country has been in a lockdown for months. The constant goes out the window, but of course, most want to ignore that fact. Again, there is no way to know how many extra cancer, heart disease, and diabetes deaths have occured due to insufficient medical care due to the lockdown. It may very well be the 16,000 in this country.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But not when this country has been in a lockdown for months. The constant goes out the window, but of course, most want to ignore that fact. Again, there is no way to know how many extra cancer, heart disease, and diabetes deaths have occured due to insufficient medical care due to the lockdown. It may very well be the 16,000 in this country.
You’re right...that number should go DOWN in lockdown due to accidents and lack of transmission of other viruses that cause fatalities

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

carolina_yankee

You’re right...that number should go DOWN in lockdown due to accidents and lack of transmission of other viruses that cause fatalities

Are the scientists and medical officials quoted in the article to support the headline not real? Or are you just judging by the headline and not reading the article?

So far, not even DeSantis is addressing the ever-decreasing hospitalization numbers. Why we’re seeing fewer serious cases remains a mystery. But on May 31st, two Italian doctors made international headlines when they proclaimed that COVID-19 had lost potency:

“In reality, the virus clinically no longer exists in Italy,” said Alberto Zangrillo, the head of the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan in the northern region of Lombardy, which has borne the brunt of Italy’s coronavirus contagion. “The swabs that were performed over the last 10 days showed a viral load in quantitative terms that was absolutely infinitesimal compared to the ones carried out a month or two months ago,” he told RAI television.​

The announcement in Italy was quickly denounced by the World Health Organization (WHO), which called the news “unlikely,” and said “this is still a killer virus.”

Of course it is. But only a few days ago, hospital officials in Pittsburgh made a similar announcement:

Doctors at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center said Thursday that the coronavirus appears to be declining both in virulence and infection rate.
“The virus may be changing,” Dr. Donald Yealy said Thursday during a news conference. “Some patterns suggest the potency is diminished.”​

Now, Gary McLean, a professor in molecular immunology at London Metropolitan University in New Zealand, says it’s entirely possible that COVID-19 may be accumulating enough mutations that it could become something akin to the common cold:
“It’s really difficult to know why exactly at this point, because there’s a lot of reasons why it could be and there’s no scientific literature, peer-reviewed papers that really document this, but if the clinicians are saying that I have to think it’s probably real.”

The virus may well have changed or attenuated causing a change in the clinical picture, McLean said.

“I would probably favour that in some way the virus is attenuating itself, just by accumulating mutations over time…and these little mutations accumulate and eventually the virus has had long enough in that host, in humans, it will drift and change slightly,” McLean said.

Either way, we should know a lot more within the next several weeks. If it’s still the virus we fear, the significant spike in cases since the beginning of June should produce an easily seen corresponding spike in hospitalizations later this week or next.
We’re keeping our fingers crossed that it doesn’t, but we’ll also keep a sharp eye and report whatever the data shows. Stay tuned…

Sure, very much an unproven at this point, but it’s more than just one person’s theory.

Rider

carolina_yankee

Please don't pretend that a lobbyist website is a valid source of medical news.

And yet the article quotes people who are medical/science professionals and is fairly balanced at the end with admitting we don’t know for certain. It’s a conversation that’s starting to be had, but which WHO and others are tamping down out of fear that people won’t take the virus seriously (certainly a valid fear). But fear isn’t a reason to not explore a hypothesis and see if there is something to it.

carolina_yankee

...I’m smelling the classic “counter researcher”...or what typically ends up being the “1%”

Quite possible. I certainly dismissed the story when I heard the Italian guy suggest it, but now it seems others are jumping on the bandwagon. I don’t know their credentials so don’t know if they fall in the “legit science” or “crackpot science” camp.

I would give it credence if it came from a medical journal. For now, I see it as an interesting data point worth looking out for. As the article concludes, it all may be proved false in a week or two anyway.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The "article" "data" is entirely unsourced and looks like it was made in Excel with some "smoothing" done to the graphs.

according to below, it looks like cases are up and hospitalizations are slightly down. Seems deaths are relatively flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom