Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rider

You're not replying to the correct post. I was referring to the Tallahassee newspaper that had the actual Florida DOH graphs. They show the exact same trends, but of course, it must be wrong as well.
Do you have data or information that shows anything to the contrary? Just curious. If you're arguing the posts, then I would hope you have something to back it up.
Yeah, I am really confused. The data was questioned, at least it seemed so. So I posted the data from the DOH. The trends align. I don’t get the issue.
Again, that website took the real data and then ran it through Excel to make a basic trendline. They did this without saying why it picked that trendline (the Tallahassee news data is a 7-day average trend-line). They then pulled a bunch of quotes out of context from other articles.

It isn't news. It's just a random webpage hoping to get clicks. That's my point. It's clickbait.

ifan

In 4 months? You're right, that is extremely optimistic.

I've been following the vaccine development at the top candidate companies and that seems to be about the earliest we would have mass quantities available, if testing is successful. Actually, September is the date that AstraZeneca/Oxford provides as their earliest available date for candidate AZD1222. They will know by August if it has passed all Phase 2/3 trials. There are currently 10,000 adult volunteers in that single study in the UK alone. 300 million dosages are earmarked for the US beginning in October from that particular partnership.

That is just one of many.

6 months has been cut out of of the original 12-18 month estimate by mass producing the vaccine now (through both Federal US funding + Bill and Melinda Gates funding) - before we know if the candidates are actually successful. Another few months have been cut out by accelerating the Phase trials. For example, the UK allowed them to skip Phase 1 because a similar vaccine had already been through that testing. Development began by most of these scientists back in January when the genetic code became available. So January - October would be 10 months. Unheard of.

Of course, the vaccine still has to actually work and pass these trials on tens of thousands of people...That part is TBD. But if it does - we should have vaccines for at least our most vulnerable populations this fall.

disneygeek90

I've been following the vaccine development at the top candidate companies and that seems to be about the earliest we would have mass quantities available, if testing is successful. Actually, September is the date that AstraZeneca/Oxford provides as their earliest available date for candidate AZD1222. They will know by August if it has passed all Phase 2/3 trials. There are currently 10,000 adult volunteers in that single study in the UK alone. 300 million dosages are earmarked for the US beginning in October from that particular partnership.

That is just one of many.

6 months has been cut out of of the original 12-18 month estimate by mass producing the vaccine now (through both Federal US funding + Bill and Melinda Gates funding) - before we know if the candidates are actually successful. Another few months have been cut out by accelerating the Phase trials. For example, the UK allowed them to skip Phase 1 because a similar vaccine had already been through that testing. Development began by most of these scientists back in January when the genetic code became available. So January - October would be 10 months. Unheard of.

Of course, the vaccine still has to actually work and pass these trials on tens of thousands of people...That part is TBD. But if it does - we should have vaccines for at least our most vulnerable populations this fall.
I won't get my hopes up but obviously the sooner the better. October would be a incredible.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Anyplace that is testing more will detect more cases. Big picture.
That also means more people have it and more deaths will come to those at risk.

I don’t get how that month old excuse/comment from a moron makes this situation better?

(FYI...I’m not calling you a moron. You’re just the messenger)

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Again, that website took the real data and then ran it through Excel to make a basic trendline. They did this without saying why it picked that trendline (the Tallahassee news data is a 7-day average trend-line). They then pulled a bunch of quotes out of context from other articles.

It isn't news. It's just a random webpage hoping to get clicks. That's my point. It's clickbait.
Again, I couldn't care less about the quotes. They mean nothing anyway. Just because they added a trend line to the graphs does NOT make them inaccurate. But I guess we're never going to convince you that even though positive cases are up, hospitalizations are down.

RaveOnEd

Then you'll have something to back up your claim that what was posted was incorrect.

Here are the cold facts, folks. The US was closed longer than some businesses could handle. Things are opening back up and people are taking precautions. If you're still scared or in a condition to not be able to contract the virus without fatal consequences, stay home and away from others. Arguing information from a million different sources won't stop the country from reopening and moving forward.

jt04

That also means more people have it and more deaths will come to those at risk.

I don’t get how that month old excuse/comment from a moron makes this situation better?

(FYI...I’m not calling you a moron. You’re just the messenger)

People affected by the shutdown are also at increased risk. It is about balancing the scale with no easy answers. Hopefully the news that the virus is losing its potency turns out to be factual. It would explain the lower death rates per capita we seem to be experiencing. Hospitals also have a better understanding of how to treat this disease.

TrojanUSC

Yes, and the statement by the WHO covers that. I don't want to retype the entire statement because the link is there for anyone who wants to read it, but here are excerpts:
"Government responses should focus on detecting and isolating infected people with symptoms, and tracking anyone who might have come into contact with them, Van Kerkhove said. She acknowledged that some studies have indicated asymptomatic or presymptomatic spread in nursing homes and in household settings." The statement clearly acknowledges that more research and data are needed to provide a definitive answer to the question of whether the virus is spread by those without symptoms, but then states,
"To be sure, asymptomatic and presymptomatic spread of the virus appears to still be happening, Van Kerkhove said but remains rare. That finding has important implications for how to screen for the virus and limit its spread. 'What we really want to be focused on is following the symptomatic cases,' Van Kerkhove said.'"

The WHO did not forget about presymptomatic spread or fail to address it in its statement.

meanwhile:

Yodascousin

Please provide a link the government is talking of a possible second spike in the autumn. Not that I wish you’re not right.
It was in an article I read the other week which I will have to try dig up but it was based on evidence that covid was here in the uk in November/December with pneumonia cases/deaths up by 6000 then the average Which were undiagnosed covid and so now this is the 2nd wave...and I wouldn’t trust what our government say as far as I can throw them ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom