Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rider

Are the scientists and medical officials quoted in the article to support the headline not real? Or are you just judging by the headline and not reading the article?

No source is listed for the graphs provided which appear to have gone through a few phases of Excel smoothing. The "quotes" are not interviews done by the author. They are just random sentences pulled from other news articles. Its all click-bait. All flash, no substance.

Rider

according to below, it looks like cases are up and hospitalizations are slightly down. Seems deaths are relatively flat.
That doesn't make the "article" a worthwhile source. The "quotes" are not interviews done by the author. They are just random sentences pulled from other news articles. Its all click-bait. All flash, no substance.

Your source would be (and is) worth discussing. The original link is not.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
That doesn't make the "article" a worthwhile source. The "quotes" are not interviews done by the author. They are just random sentences pulled from other news articles. Its all click-bait. All flash, no substance.

I wasn’t really interested in anything other than the data and trends. Same is true when someone posts an article from other sources. Parse through the commentary...

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

Your source would be (and is) worth discussing. The original link is not.
The graphs are accurate, or are you trying to state that those are made up?

Polynesia

The "article" "data" is entirely unsourced and looks like it was made in Excel with some "smoothing" done to the graphs.
Yet other cities are reporting the same thing. Articles came out from scientists in Arizona last month talking about the potency lessening, doctors in Italy and the University of Pittsburgh,also. How sad to just dismiss a real possibility of this happening. Then again there are people who seem to thrive on doom and gloom.

ifan

Even though it seems counter-intuitive to have hospitalizations going down while cases go up, it makes a lot of sense if you try to uncover WHO is getting infected now versus March/April.

When places were shut down - the large % of deaths (and infections) were occurring in nursing homes with a very old/sick population. Now that places are opening up, it makes sense that the type of people who are getting infected are younger and healthier. A lot of spikes in various states are occurring in manufacturing facilities, for example, where the workforce is young. A factory of 600 may see half their young workforce infected in a local outbreak, but see zero or few deaths.

Completely anecdotal but a handful of my friends (all medical workers) have been infected over the past month, but none required hospitalization because they are young and don't have any underlying conditions like diabetes or asthma.

Disney will undoubtedly have some infections occur from re-opening, no matter what precautions they take. But hopefully those who are most at risk stay away for now while the young families come out to play :) I'm extremely optimistic that some form of vaccine will be available by October-ish, we shall see!

disneygeek90

Even though it seems counter-intuitive to have hospitalizations going down while cases go up, it makes a lot of sense if you try to uncover WHO is getting infected now versus March/April.

When places were shut down - the large % of deaths (and infections) were occurring in nursing homes with a very old/sick population. Now that places are opening up, it makes sense that the type of people who are getting infected are younger and healthier. A lot of spikes in various states are occurring in manufacturing facilities, for example, where the workforce is young. A factory of 600 may see half their young workforce infected in a local outbreak, but see zero or few deaths.

Completely anecdotal but a handful of my friends (all medical workers) have been infected over the past month, but none required hospitalization because they are young and don't have any underlying conditions like diabetes or asthma.

Disney will undoubtedly have some infections occur from re-opening, no matter what precautions they take. But hopefully those who are most at risk stay away for now while the young families come out to play :) I'm extremely optimistic that some form of vaccine will be available by October-ish, we shall see!
In 4 months? You're right, that is extremely optimistic.

Rider

Yet other cities are reporting the same thing. Articles came out from scientists in Arizona last month talking about the potency lessening, doctors in Italy and the University of Pittsburgh,also. How sad to just dismiss a real possibility of this happening. Then again there are people who seem to thrive on doom and gloom.
Then post a real source are there any peer reviewed studies?

Unless it isn't good news, I guess...

RaveOnEd

The graphs were made by someone who stuck the data into Excel and hit "Create Trendline". It's useless information.
Do you have data or information that shows anything to the contrary? Just curious. If you're arguing the posts, then I would hope you have something to back it up.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
You're not replying to the correct post. I was referring to the Tallahassee newspaper that had the actual Florida DOH graphs. They show the exact same trends, but of course, it must be wrong as well.
Yeah, I am really confused. The data was questioned, at least it seemed so. So I posted the data from the DOH. The trends align. I don’t get the issue.

Chip Chipperson

Except that 40% is completely misleading, and I have to wonder where they are getting their information from. If they only have a total of 2056 people currently hospitalized, and 1935 were added in one day, that would mean that there only 121 people in the hospital for covid-19. That's obviously not the case. It looks like that data is cumulative, and not necessarily a single daily total. If the 2056 today is accurate, then means that they added 121 yesterday. According to the chart, there were 1878 on June 7. Going from 1878 to 1935 to 2056 is hardly a 40% increase.

Just another news media blowing everything out of proportion to get clicks. It really is sad that they either can't or won't report accurate information nowadays.

One thing you have to take into account when you see an increase of 121 COVID-19 patients hospitalized in 1 day is that it's the net increase, so if 300 patients were released then 421 new patients were admitted, for example. No matter what, the ideal scenario for any government looking to ease restrictions should include an overall decrease in the number of patients hospitalized. Maybe a day or 2 here and there will have an increase because not everyone recovers at the same rate, but if it's consistently increasing then you have a problem.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
One thing you have to take into account when you see an increase of 121 COVID-19 patients hospitalized in 1 day is that it's the net increase, so if 300 patients were released then 421 new patients were admitted, for example. No matter what, the ideal scenario for any government looking to ease restrictions should include an overall decrease in the number of patients hospitalized. Maybe a day or 2 here and there will have an increase because not everyone recovers at the same rate, but if it's consistently increasing then you have a problem.
It was completely expected that positives and hospitalizations would go up once the lockdowns were eased. The point was to ensure that the hospitals didn't get overwhelmed with new cases, and from the data, they aren't even close to that. My issue was with the 40% figure, as it was completely a lie designed to inflame people and get clicks. There is no one day where the hospitalizations went up 40%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom