Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyDebRob

I have not yet been able to find specific details around what is contributing to the increased positivity rate in Texas.
And the increased hospitalizations that are happening there. Increased by 40% and they are very worried. They have enough beds and ICU for now but it keeps gong up. And still, they are planning to go from 50 to 75% capacity in restaurants this week. What happened to the.. “ we will do this safely and by phases.. if it starts going up a lot we will pull back”. Guess all that is out the window now.

Yodascousin

It’s interesting as well that studies have shown that people who have been asymptomatic or had mild symptoms had no or low antibodies for covid and that other immune defences have been at play due to previous exposure to other coronaviruses this leads them to believe that herd immunity will be developed a lot sooner as a large portion will not be affected. I have a theory that you have to let the virus run to some extent so it burns itself out quicker. It could be that the states who didn’t have high rates but shut down and who have eased restrictions now are experiencing an uptick as they ease them because herd immunity wasn’t reAched whereas in states that were badly infected but easing restrictions will see there cases continue to decline because there are less susceptible people to infect. Sorry for the long post I hope I’ve explained my thoughts clearly!

disneygeek90

""If it turns out that it was spreading more extensively before we were aware of it, it might lead us to change our estimates for the proportion of cases that are asymptomatic or mild," Meyers said."

There's a lot of 'mights' and 'ifs' in this entire article.

Speculation gets us know where. The only real way we could determine any validity is if everyone is given antibody tests. Assuming that most people have already contracted the virus is dangerous.

I haven't felt under the weather all year. There's no reason I should assume that at any point over the past 6 months I was carrying covid.

disneygeek90

Do you read the articles or just look at the titles?

"But crucially, this is a possibility the paper sketches out, not an actual finding inferred from the data."
"But to know for sure how many folks have had COVID-19 without knowing it, we need to randomly select lots of people and give them special “serology” tests that detect antibodies."
"I’d advise against getting carried away with this study in the meantime, but do keep your fingers crossed. "

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
And the increased hospitalizations that are happening there. Increased by 40% and they are very worried. They have enough beds and ICU for now but it keeps gong up. And still, they are planning to go from 50 to 75% capacity in restaurants this week. What happened to the.. “ we will do this safely and by phases.. if it starts going up a lot we will pull back”. Guess all that is out the window now.
These openings were announced last week. Haven’t heard any changes yet but I wouldn’t be surprised if we did. Also, I am not too concerned about restaurants increasing from 50% to 75% for a couple reasons. One, social distancing guidelines must still be met. Two, many restaurants can’t even open at 75% with these social distancing guidelines in place (this of course, is a problem for their businesses, however). They are just not setup/designed to be able to do so.

DisneyDebRob

These openings were announced last week. Haven’t heard any changes yet but I wouldn’t be surprised if we did. Also, I am not too concerned about restaurants increasing from 50% to 75% for a a couple reasons. One, social distancing guidelines must still be met. Two, many restaurants can’t even open at 75% with these social distancing guidelines in place (this of course, is a problem for their businesses, however). They are just not setup/designed to be able to do so.
I understand what your saying but I am worried in increasing occupancy and opening more when your numbers are going up as much as theirs are. I’m assuming they are trying to social distance now as it rises. Open up more and you could be asking for trouble.

mickeymiss

Even if covid cases decrease dramatically, I want Disney to commit to their safety measure plan through the whole summer and probably flu season as well. If avoiding a second wave is a goal, I'd rather be safe than sorry in places like Disney. We planned a trip for August and I'm worried that they will remove precautions by then or increase capacity to the point where nobody can get on an attraction without waiting in long lines for eveyrthing. Capacity limits, distance markers and wearing masks when standing around people in line seem like common sense ideas that they can't just ditch after a couple months when saying safety is supposedly a priority.

DisneyCane

Montana is a low density state where presymptomatic spread has a lot less chance to happen than in large metropolises.
Have you ever been to Missoula or Butte? They aren't huge cities but they are very dense. They are dense suburbs and stores and restaurants are more densely packed than an equivalent suburb in a more populous state. On a per capita basis, the counties which contain those cities had very mild outbreaks compared to the less densely populated counties.

Said more clearly, the outbreak in Montana was worse in the lower density counties, which is counter intuitive if presymptomatic spread is the key driver.

South Korea was onboard with everyone wearing masks right from the beginning slowing pre-symptomatic spread. They were also aggressive with contact tracing.
If masks were the main driver of slowing pre-symptomatic spread in South Korea, why hasn't the same thing worked elsewhere? Masks will be very helpful in slowing symptomatic spread because they cover your cough or sneeze for you since too much of the population can't be bothered to do the simple action of bringing their elbow to their face.

Not just South Korea but I know for a fact that China did extensive temperature screening as part of their strategy. Here is a description from back in February from somebody I know who was working in China:

We have a shuttle bus like a big tour bus that takes us to work. We have always had that. But we have to have our temp taken and recorded before we board. We have our temps taken after the shuttle and before entering the admin building. We have our temp taken again out on site. Then when we return home we have our temp taken.

I always feel the best evidence is to look at what is being done, not what is being talked about. The fact that these two countries went all in on temperature checks, leads me to believe that they are very effective in helping to identify potential spreaders. China certainly doesn't need to do "health theater" like you might see done in a free society to win votes.

And we did have more deaths than expected. There is the death gap between all the extra deaths that exceed the normal averages and only a part of those have been officially attributed to COVID.
I'm not seeing the gap your refer to, at lease in an obvious way. The CDC data (which runs through W/E 5/23) shows a predicted excess death range of 98,102 - 132,335. The current death toll is a little over 113,000. Through 5/23 it was 98,904. There is no way to know how many excess deaths happened due to the measures to slow the spread. Either way, the number of COVID deaths is within the estimated range of excess deaths.

There are definitely a non-zero number of people who died during this period because they didn't have an "elective" surgery or didn't get medical attention due to the measures. There could be a gap but it doesn't seem to be a huge percentage.

And if only symptomatic cases can be spreaders then why is there still a dozen states where the number of infections are still growing even though everyone with symptoms has been self-quarantining for two months or being screened out (e.g., with temperature checks)?
First, as i said, I don't believe that nearly everyone with any symptom at all has been self-quarantining (especially with very mild cases). Second, there is still a lot of uncertainty regarding those states with respect to the number of infections growing vs. the amount of testing discovering a higher percentage of the actual cases.

Chi84

Premium Member
Point is that there's lots of evidence of pre-symptomatic spread. Study after study shows this. Asymptomatic, which is often confused with pre-symptomatic by the media, is what is in question.
Yes, and the statement by the WHO covers that. I don't want to retype the entire statement because the link is there for anyone who wants to read it, but here are excerpts:
"Government responses should focus on detecting and isolating infected people with symptoms, and tracking anyone who might have come into contact with them, Van Kerkhove said. She acknowledged that some studies have indicated asymptomatic or presymptomatic spread in nursing homes and in household settings." The statement clearly acknowledges that more research and data are needed to provide a definitive answer to the question of whether the virus is spread by those without symptoms, but then states,
"To be sure, asymptomatic and presymptomatic spread of the virus appears to still be happening, Van Kerkhove said but remains rare. That finding has important implications for how to screen for the virus and limit its spread. 'What we really want to be focused on is following the symptomatic cases,' Van Kerkhove said.'"

The WHO did not forget about presymptomatic spread or fail to address it in its statement.

JohnD

Just asking a question here: This thread now really is a "general discussion" so why isn't it in the General Discussion forum? It made sense early on to have it in the News forum as it was the only thread related to the coronavirus but now there are specific threads related to WDW opening, operating status, etc. This thread now is just general debate. Just wondering.

disneygeek90

Even if covid cases decrease dramatically, I want Disney to commit to their safety measure plan through the whole summer and probably flu season as well. If avoiding a second wave is a goal, I'd rather be safe than sorry in places like Disney. We planned a trip for August and I'm worried that they will remove precautions by then or increase capacity to the point where nobody can get on an attraction without waiting in long lines for eveyrthing. Capacity limits, distance markers and wearing masks when standing around people in line seem like common sense ideas that they can't just ditch after a couple months when saying safety is supposedly a priority.
In many ways, Universal provided the best guest experience I have ever had in theme park this weekend. Didn't have to sit with other random parties on rides, didn't have kids bumping into me in line. Obviously it can't be that drastic forever but I do think some of the more common sense practices should remain into the future.

I'm not sure if it was due to it being more locals and FL residents, but the entire vibe of the parks were incredibly chill. No one was running around pushing themselves into the next ride as quickly as possible. It was a more calm, lingered stroll for many people which was different but refreshing to see.

KingdomofDreams

We have given up. I’m not saying we shouldn’t open, so all you that have fingers ready on your keyboard just back off. I mean we went from closed to open. Phases are a joke. Give people a inch and they will take a yard as the saying goes. Phases need to be much slower or we will see what we are seeing now. We have states going from a 2 week first phase and immediately going into second. Not enough time to determine what’s going on.Tell people they are allowed to venture out but with masks and distancing and you will have many taking advantage. It’s a natural human response for people that really don’t care in the first place and think it’s all been a joke. Texas hospitals are getting crushed right now. Let’s hope the other 25 states that are going up don’t encounter the same thing. Was the reason for social distancing in the first place, not to overwhelm them.
Meanwhile in my area, NJ shores and beaches have opened and the parties have started.
All young college guys but they are now testing parents of them all and people they have been in contact with. Give a inch... let’s hope all the elderly that they have been in contact with are ok.

Funny... I'm actually a healthcare worker in an ER in Texas and we are not getting "crushed". Not sure where you're from that you have observed this but in our area it is not true and I am in one of the large metro areas, not a small town. We are more back to business as usual after being very slow and staff sent home early for weeks. We do see patients coming in and testing positive but the vast majority are sent home and recover without further issue. Half of the unit that had been designated for Covid patients has been opened back up for normal usage because it was sitting empty.

And just as a side note, Texas was never really completely shut down. Throughout all of it you could be out and about, go to Walmart, Costco, Home Depot, etc. and they were just as crowded as ever and very few (then or now) wear masks.

Piebald

Universal is unbelievably dead. I know the weathers been bad lately but I'm surprised how quiet it is even if you assumed theyd be slow with masks being required and all the other restrictions

Chi84

Premium Member
Montana?

Unbelievable.

Anyway...26 states are seeing “significant rise” in the number of cases reported. And since it’s still highly dangerous and not at all a “made up” thing...maybe it’s time to put the covid discussion to bed and wait it out?

The CDC is now saying states are under reporting probable cases to deflate the likely numbers. Florida, California and Texas being specifically nabbed.

Is the world going to end? No. But was this bungled and continues to be? Absolutely. And it really isn’t surprising at all.

And the US economy is officially in recession...the people are hurting. Somebody please let Wall Street know? 😳
Please, nobody tell the stock market . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom