Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And we did have more deaths than expected. There is the death gap between all the extra deaths that exceed the normal averages and only a part of those have been officially attributed to COVID.

And if only symptomatic cases can be spreaders then why is there still a dozen states where the number of infections are still growing even though everyone with symptoms has been self-quarantining for two months or being screened out (e.g., with temperature checks)?

There are no valid responses from the hoaxers on this...none. Won’t even address this.

The reality is we have “given” up...which is not surprising at all in the land of the spoiled. Didn’t stick with it and get the structure to trace this and really control it in place. Now herd immunity better happen cause there will be much more economic damage for a longer time than if we had just stayed locked down.

Roll the dice.

The demonstrations show this. I’m not debating the cause or the validity...but the size is due in many ways to “boredom” in lockdown. Philadelphia is seeing their largest demonstrations ever...it’s a boredom buster like a line outside apple for an iPhone release. A lot of transference. There are many other important factors...but you can’t dismiss it’s a component. And not good for virus control.

crawale

In the US currently 5.7% of reported cases are fatal*.

More cases lead to more spread leads to more cases leads to more death.

COVID-19 is not under control. It's even less under control when the parks closed. We are frogs boiling in the pot.

*https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality
This is the number of reported cases. There are VERY many cases where people either did not report the cases or were asymptomatic. Tests were initially only for people with symptoms or hospitalized. This overstated the death rate.

Disstevefan1

This weekend we ventured out for the first time since the lockdown and went to Home Depot, not exactly a tourist attraction, THE PARKING LOT WAS FULL! No where to park. We gave up. This never happened in all the years We lived here.

Boredom, Pent up demand, call it what you will. It’s here all right.

DisneyDebRob

There are no valid responses from the hoaxers on this...none. Won’t even address this.

The reality is we have “given” up...which is not surprising at all in the land of the spoiled. Didn’t stick with it and get the structure to trace this and really control it in place. Now herd immunity better happen cause there will be much more economic damage for a longer time than if we had just stayed locked down.

Roll the dice.

The demonstrations show this. I’m not debating the cause or the validity...but the size is due in many ways to “boredom” in lockdown. Philadelphia is seeing their largest demonstrations ever...it’s a boredom buster like a line outside apple for an iPhone release. A lot of transference. There are many other important factors...but you can’t dismiss it’s a component. And not good for virus control.
We have given up. I’m not saying we shouldn’t open, so all you that have fingers ready on your keyboard just back off. I mean we went from closed to open. Phases are a joke. Give people a inch and they will take a yard as the saying goes. Phases need to be much slower or we will see what we are seeing now. We have states going from a 2 week first phase and immediately going into second. Not enough time to determine what’s going on.Tell people they are allowed to venture out but with masks and distancing and you will have many taking advantage. It’s a natural human response for people that really don’t care in the first place and think it’s all been a joke. Texas hospitals are getting crushed right now. Let’s hope the other 25 states that are going up don’t encounter the same thing. Was the reason for social distancing in the first place, not to overwhelm them.
Meanwhile in my area, NJ shores and beaches have opened and the parties have started.
All young college guys but they are now testing parents of them all and people they have been in contact with. Give a inch... let’s hope all the elderly that they have been in contact with are ok.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Bad news for Texas. COVID-19 hospitalizations are at their highest level so far and the positivity rate jumped from 4.27% to 7.55%.

Not great that hospitalizations are up. Not the end of the world either. Work needed to keep this under control at current reopening levels. I imagine any future phases will be slowed until this can be sorted. Good news is that capacity remains in good shape. Bad news of course is greater hospitalizations can lead to more deaths.

Kevin_W

We have given up. I’m not saying we shouldn’t open, so all you that have fingers ready on your keyboard just back off. I mean we went from closed to open. Phases are a joke. Give people a inch and they will take a yard as the saying goes. Phases need to be much slower or we will see what we are seeing now. We have states going from a 2 week first phase and immediately going into second. Not enough time to determine what’s going on.Tell people they are allowed to venture out but with masks and distancing and you will have many taking advantage. It’s a natural human response for people that really don’t care in the first place and think it’s all been a joke.

I think there is some truth to that, but not entirely. We have been "opened" for a couple weeks now in my area and thing still look very different than they used to. My gym opened up this week, but you have to sign up for a 90 minute session with reduced capacity, then they close for 30 minutes after every session to clean. >90% of people at the grocery store have face masks. My daughter's gymnastics cocshes are wearing masks and they keep everyone >6' apart. I wouldn't classify that as "giving up".

DisneyDebRob

I think there is some truth to that, but not entirely. We have been "opened" for a couple weeks now in my area and thing still look very different than they used to. My gym opened up this week, but you have to sign up for a 90 minute session with reduced capacity, then they close for 30 minutes after every session to clean. >90% of people at the grocery store have face masks. My daughter's gymnastics cocshes are wearing masks and they keep everyone >6' apart. I wouldn't classify that as "giving up".
I’m glad to read some are staying within the guidelines. Might be working better if they all were like your area.

DisneyDebRob

I’m interested in seeing if the protests will affect the overall numbers. I think we will not know that for a couple of weeks at least.
A few national guard members and a bunch of protesters from all over have tested positive. Quick google search will link you. Like you said, few weeks we will see.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is the number of reported cases. There are VERY many cases where people either did not report the cases or were asymptomatic. Tests were initially only for people with symptoms or hospitalized. This overstated the death rate.
So?

That means there’s more infected people that can recover that have the potential to transfer it to people who cannot.

I wish some doctors would have said that at the start...

Wait...”this just in...”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
More and more doctors here in uk and Europe are of the belief that this virus was circulating late last year and that it was the 2nd wave that we experienced in March and April and that thankfully now it is starting to burn itself out...I hope this trend continues in the U.S
That’s a good thing...but a lot of this is somewhat wishful thinking as well.

wishiwere@wdw

Here's a great graph. The line is the percent positive as a percentage of total tests.

As of the last few days, Florida has leveled out at about 4.2 percent positive.
Another data point that needs to be included with the Florida numbers are elective surgeries being permitted once again. Unfortunately, we now know from personal experience as my wife has to have an unexpected outpatient procedure on Thursday and a Covid19 test was required. Why do I mention this? The Florida numbers are increasing due to increased testing but the hospitalizations aren’t. Also, they made it clear in the latest presser that there is an increase in the 20-40 year old range; aka those that can finally have these “elective” surgeries that couldn’t before now frequently fall in this age group. There are so many variables that come into play that it’s difficult to clearly know where we are heading but as I said before, I’m not all that concerned about Florida just yet. Texas? Absolutely. And I do have concerns as to where we’ll be in 3-4 weeks from the protests.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Meanwhile in my area, NJ shores and beaches have opened and the parties have started.
All young college guys but they are now testing parents of them all and people they have been in contact with. Give a inch... let’s hope all the elderly that they have been in contact with are ok.
The cape may area - while a favorite of mine - isn’t exactly “enlightened”...If you catch my drift.

They were complaining in March and April (bad news sources)...and wanted to do whatever.

Now they want to take it seriously...after the game was in hand...and dragging the rest of us along with them. And I’m looking at you too, Monmouth Atlantic and Ocean Counties 😡

Yodascousin

That’s a good thing...but a lot of this is somewhat wishful thinking as well.
Maybe but there is growing evidence to suggest it’s the case and the data over here at least is starting to back this up...even if the current timeline for the origins of the virus is correct most are starting to agree that as it’s a coronavirus and not the flu then there is little chance of a second wave...fingers crossed!

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Another data point that needs to be included with the Florida numbers are elective surgeries being permitted once again. Unfortunately, we now know from personal experience as my wife has to have an unexpected outpatient procedure on Thursday and a Covid19 test was required. Why do I mention this? The Florida numbers are increasing due to increased testing but the hospitalizations aren’t. Also, they made it clear in the latest presser that there is an increase in the 20-40 year old range; aka those that can finally have these “elective” surgeries that couldn’t before now frequently fall in this age group. There are so many variables that come into play that it’s difficult to clearly know where we are heading but as I said before, I’m not all that concerned about Florida just yet. Texas? Absolutely. And I do have concerns as to where we’ll be in 3-4 weeks from the protests.
I have not yet been able to find specific details around what is contributing to the increased positivity rate in Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom