Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
The best number to look at is hospitalizations.

I am lazy to look myself but it’s probably trending in a direction, both in Florida and nationally.

thanks,

Castastone

Tom P.

The first chart shows visits for influenza-like illnesses, including COVID-19, to primary care providers, urgent care centers, and emergency departments:

1591660711796.png

The second is limited to just emergency department visits:

1591660777758.png

These charts are missing one week of data, as they are only updated through May 30th. But they do seem to show a downward trend in both cases.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...ronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview.html

lisa12000

It’s funny isn’t it - the uk govt are desperate for people to come forward for tests atm as we aren’t always using capacity and we assume there are more cases out there than we are finding (1200 today from 67 million people) but I know if we do test more and find more people positive (and are therefore able to quarantine them) the media will go mental and demand us being back into full lockdown immediately - in this point the govt can’t win

lisa12000

Does anyone realize that with more testing come more positive results? It’s a given.

well yes I’m sure most reading here know this - but it’s seems like the uk public are just waiting for bad news. We expected a second wave after VE Day parties, packed beaches, opening - it hasn’t happened yet -now people are waiting with baited breath after the protests last weekend with some almost hoping for it to happen to say told you so! To me as long as hospitalisations are down. We have 6403 in hospital As of today with virus with 517 in icu beds -we had nearly 8000 at start of last week and 616 icu beds full! BUT if cases go up it will be full on panic! Despite us Having capacity for 240,000 tests a day so may see uptick in cases compared to 120,000 capacity just 2/3 weeks ago

lazyboy97o

I think it's important to keep in mind that pre-symptomatic isn't the same as asymptomatic. Therefore people can still spread the disease who aren't physically demonstrating symptoms yet.
I imagine there are also people who self-diagnose their symptoms as something else. “I don’t have symptoms. *cough cough* That’s just my allergies, they’re really bad this year.”

It would be nice to think that telling a person with a mild cold not to go to work or school would be effective, but from personal experience I know this is not the case.
This is where the social acceptance of masks can be a benefit beyond the current pandemic. Sure, a cold is easy to handle but wear a mask and limit how much you are sharing with your co-workers.

Tom P.

I imagine there are also people who self-diagnose their symptoms as something else. “I don’t have symptoms. *cough cough* That’s just my allergies, they’re really bad this year.”
True. Of course, there are legit cases where some of us do know and recognize our seasonal allergy symptoms. For example, I've coughed more lately. But I've also sneezed more, which is not a COVID-19 symptom and I've had itchy, watery eyes, which is not a COVID-19 symptom. And I've never had a fever or shortness of breath. I think it's a fair assumption that I have the regular seasonal allergies I've had every year and not COVID-19. I could be wrong. But the odds are that I'm not.

AugieMorosco

This is where the social acceptance of masks can be a benefit beyond the current pandemic. Sure, a cold is easy to handle but wear a mask and limit how much you are sharing with your co-workers.

I agree. Being educated on them certainly makes me more inclined to wear one once this is all over. Unfortunately, lots of people won't even wear them in the middle of a pandemic, with recommendations from medical professionals, walking by signs on the doors asking them to do so.

Tom P.

I agree. Being educated on them certainly makes me more inclined to wear one once this is all over. Unfortunately, lots of people won't even wear them in the middle of a pandemic, with recommendations from medical professionals, walking by signs on the doors asking them to do so.
A co-worker recently told me that he won't go into a barber shop to get a haircut because he won't go along masks. A family member who is a medical professional herself has said she won't go in anyplace that requires masks because she wears them all week at work and isn't going to wear them outside of work.

It is apparently quite the uphill battle we are fighting on masks. I give it about 30 more days before businesses and governments just give up and stop trying to push for masks. I'm not saying that's right, but I think it's what will happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

DVCakaCarlF

well yes I’m sure most reading here know this - but it’s seems like the uk public are just waiting for bad news. We expected a second wave after VE Day parties, packed beaches, opening - it hasn’t happened yet -now people are waiting with baited breath after the protests last weekend with some almost hoping for it to happen to say told you so! To me as long as hospitalisations are down. We have 6403 in hospital As of today with virus with 517 in icu beds -we had nearly 8000 at start of last week and 616 icu beds full! BUT if cases go up it will be full on panic! Despite us Having capacity for 240,000 tests a day so may see uptick in cases compared to 120,000 capacity just 2/3 weeks ago
The media has its own bias...the virus is fatal and serious for certain sets of the population, no doubt.

That being said, many people will carry or be infected, with no or minimal effects. Simply having the virus or testing positive, for past infection, is just a sign of it’s evolutionary progression - it was eventually going to get everywhere.

DVCakaCarlF

I don’t disagree with masks - my family doctor made all “sick” patients wear masks in the waiting room upon arrival long before covid19.

That being said, i won’t wear a mask to walk outside, eat lunch, drive my car, or take my kids to school. The masks shouldn’t be a “all they time” function.

DVCakaCarlF

A co-worker recently told me that he won't go into a barber shop to get a haircut because he won't go along with masks. A family member who is a medical professional herself has said she won't go in anyplace that requires masks because she wears them all week at work and isn't going to wear them outside of work.

It is apparently quite the uphill battle we are fighting on masks. I give it about 30 more days before businesses and governments just give up and stop trying to push for masks. I'm not saying that's right, but I think it's what will happen.
The sentiment varies from area to area...I’m from SC and work in Charlotte...hardly any masks. Go to Chapel Hill, Raleigh, or Durham...everyone has a mask.

AugieMorosco

A co-worker recently told me that he won't go into a barber shop to get a haircut because he won't go along with "masks. A family member who is a medical professional herself has said she won't go in anyplace that requires masks because she wears them all week at work and isn't going to wear them outside of work.

I believe you're right. I'm in a suburb of Houston and I've noticed a rapid decline in participation. I think some people notice others not doing it and feel dumb, so they don't either. Here it depends on neighborhood and area, but I'd say mostly a losing battle. I'll keep doing my part, but it's all I can do. I'm glad Disney is making them a requirement.

Animaniac93-98

That being said, i won’t wear a mask to walk outside, eat lunch, drive my car, or take my kids to school. The masks shouldn’t be a “all they time” function.

I don't know of anyone asking to wear masks all the time. Even Disney and Universal say you can take it off when you're sitting down to eat.

The main reason they're asking you to wear one outside in their parks or on property is to prevent the spread of germs in crowded situations where social distancing isn't possible. They know crowds build up in certain places and having people be 6ft apart all the time is a challenge. Wearing a mask is the compromise.

DVCakaCarlF

I don't know of anyone asking to wear masks all the time. Even Disney and Universal say you can take it off when you're sitting down to eat.

The main reason they're asking you to wear one outside in their parks or on property is to prevent the spread of germs in crowded situations where social distancing isn't possible. They know crowds build up in certain places and having people be 6ft apart all the time is a challenge. Wearing a mask is the compromise.
I think the masks will be harder to enforce than the 6’ distancing.

Chi84

Premium Member
A co-worker recently told me that he won't go into a barber shop to get a haircut because he won't go along with masks. A family member who is a medical professional herself has said she won't go in anyplace that requires masks because she wears them all week at work and isn't going to wear them outside of work.

I'm not a medical professional, but I have read quite a bit about the effectiveness of masks - in many cases the underlying sources, not just the articles or headlines. And I'm not convinced that they do much, if anything at all, to stop the spread of the virus, especially given the manner in which people are wearing them. Maybe that's why your family member is not so concerned about wearing one.

I fully support the closures and shelter in place orders, which I think saved many lives, as well as social distancing and staying home if you are sick. There is agreement in the medical community on the effectiveness of these measures. But without repeating my other posts on masks, I don't believe the support is there to make people wear them. If I thought some guy wearing a face mask around his neck while eating a Mickey bar could protect me from getting this virus, I would be all for it. As it is, I don't think mask-wearing is something Disney is going to be willing or able to enforce - again, possibly because of the lack of evidence that they do anything.

DVCakaCarlF

Mask compliance was overall quite positive over the weekend at Universal. I even noticed several team members reminding guests to wear their mask when they did let theirs slip down.

The setting dictated the compliance - if you want the go to UO, you have to wear a mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom