Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin_W

I think it's important to keep in mind that pre-symptomatic isn't the same as asymptomatic. Therefore people can still spread the disease who aren't physically demonstrating symptoms yet.

Right, and the Scripps study cited above in Times differentiated between pre and asymptomatic. They asserted "at minimum, 30%, and more likely 40% to 45%" asymptomatic spread.

So the true # is somewhere between "very rare" and 45%. That is pretty a difficult inconsistency to rationalize.

Rider

It is not the number of cases that is important but the number of deaths.
In the US currently 5.7% of reported cases are fatal*.

More cases lead to more spread leads to more cases leads to more death.

COVID-19 is not under control. It's even less under control when the parks closed. We are frogs boiling in the pot.

*https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
In the US currently 5.7% of reported cases are fatal*.

More cases lead to more spread leads to more cases leads to more death.

COVID-19 is not under control. It's even less under control when the parks closed. We are frogs boiling in the pot.

*https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

The number of cases is like 10% of the information that leaders in FL need in order to make appropriate decisions. Hospitalizations, positivity rate, Number of tests daily, number of deaths, whether the new cases are coming from specific areas, etc. This all comes into play, and more.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Right, and the Scripps study cited above in Times differentiated between pre and asymptomatic. They asserted "at minimum, 30%, and more likely 40% to 45%" asymptomatic spread.

So the true # is somewhere between "very rare" and 45%. That is pretty a difficult inconsistency to rationalize.

And that makes sense, but maybe I am misreading the article but this seems to suggest the WHO is including pre-symptomatic as well?

"To be sure, asymptomatic and presymptomatic spread of the virus appears to still be happening, Van Kerkhove said but remains rare. That finding has important implications for how to screen for the virus and limit its spread. "

Chi84

Premium Member
Possibility 3: Policy makers should act based on the best currently available evidence, with the knowledge that decisions made in the future may be different in light of new information. Science is hard and it takes time.
This is so true. The CDC and WHO have said from the outset that the virus is primarily transmitted by prolonged contact with an infected individual. That hasn't changed from day one. From what I remember, the initial lockdowns weren't based on the fear of asymptomatic spread - they were based on the fact that many people who contracted the virus had only mild symptoms that felt like a cold or a minor case of flu. The thinking was that those people could well decide to go to work or school, where they would be in prolonged contact with other individuals (in an office or school setting this could be many people), who would then contract the virus and take it home to their family members, where again there is prolonged contact. The same virus that caused 80% to have mild symptoms turned out to have a devastating effect on those with weakened immune systems. It would be nice to think that telling a person with a mild cold not to go to work or school would be effective, but from personal experience I know this is not the case. Although we know now how widespread and serious this virus has turned out to be, people did not have this sense of urgency when the lockdowns were first instituted. Many believed, for some reason, that the virus was no worse than having a cold and that it would disappear with the warmer weather. The decision-makers had to make a hard choice and they made it.

monykalyn

get out of here with your "logic" and "facts" and "experts" and quotes. I can't see the virus, so it must not be a threat! 😂
conversely “I can’t see the virus so it must be everywhere lying in wait to infect meeeee!” :p
Disagree. I could easily make an entire vacation at Walt Disney World without ever setting foot in one of the theme parks. There is so much there beyond just the parks.
Even with current restrictions? My timeshare costs me <$500/year in MF (was gifted to us) currently at an MVC resort in Orlando for two weeks (one week on an accommodation certificate or free extra week - just an exchange fee $200). For $700 for 2 weeks in a 2 bed/2 bath with 2 pools, large hot tubs (that aren’t the usual circle ones so easy to space out); no masks needed when stepping out my door, free mini golf, pool, shuffleboard, ping pong, basketball courts and activities resumed this week. How much would that cost at Disney? Without guaranteed admission and a parking fee unless DVC why is Disney so great right now? I think only 2-3 buildings are even with occupancy right now, so lots of space to spread out. The villa as sparkling clean too and I mean CLEAN. No dust even in usual contender areas (like I’ve found in most Disney resorts). Cooking most meals in the condo- did my WFH today on the screened lanai overlooking a lake.
Wow. That's completely different from this study reported three days ago. https://time.com/5848949/covid-19-asymptomatic-spread/
I truly hope that the WHO's report is correct.
There’s more evidence that truly asymptomatic aren’t spreaders. From the earliest China studies of households not 100% of even members of same household ever tested positive. And when the media discovered some can test positive or “shed virus particles” without symptoms the media as one voice failed to disclose that the scientists had no clue if these people were capable of causing infections. Those individuals who dared point that out were called names or shouted down. If pre-asymptomatic truly are so infectious why didn’t 100% of cruise ship passengers ALL test positive?
So all those super-spreader incidents where a lot of people got the virus from people who had no symptoms...?

Or the rapid, exponential spread in high density areas even after people with symptoms were self-isolating...?
key words “high density population” - close prolonged contact with infectious person. All about viral load along with personal susceptibility, and we are still discovering what makes one person more susceptible than another.

robhedin

The US border is closed to non-US citizens arriving from Europe. Flights can operate, but depending on the passport you have, it may not be possible to fly.
Wow. Did not realize that was still in effect. I had assumed that it would have expired after 30 or 60 or 90 days. Thanks.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Let’s not forget that testing is much more widespread. I’d be shocked if we didn’t see an increase in identified cases.

their positivity rate is 4%. The WHO recommends a positivity rate of 5% or lower for reopening. The last time the state was seeing this number of daily positive cases, they were doing about 10k tests daily Now they are at about 30k daily.

so..it seems a mixed bag for them right now.

Animaniac93-98

Don't know if this has been shared regarding Aulani:

"For Disney Vacation Club Members and Guests who are interested in modifying their existing travel dates or making a new reservation for a future vacation, reservations are currently available for travel dates July 1, 2020 and later. As always, Members and Guests are able to modify these bookings if Aulani Resort opens before or after that time."

Currently the state of Hawaii has a mandatory 14 day quarantine for all arrivals until at least June 30th.

"Gov. Ige added, “And I just really want to assure all of you that we are definitely focused on the next steps – making plans and having discussions about out-of-state travel and transpacific travel, which we will be making an announcement about next week.”

This comment was posted June 1 on the Hawaiian Tourism Authority's website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom