Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliceismad

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I am a little skeptical of this. WHO saying asymptomatic spread isn't common, CDC said it wasn't common to be spread from touching surfaces. If it's mainly spread by people who have symptoms, and people are quite aware of this virus and it's symptoms, I would't think it would be spreading as much as it it.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Just noting the headline change already -

First tweet that was reported here -

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 2.53.44 PM.png

How they corrected -

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 2.53.59 PM.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There are several articles on this subject. I guess it’s 50/50 on where “health experts” stand .
Not 50/50 at all my friend. Not even close.
More like 97-3%

Just like climate science. When you follow data...you end up in the same place.

Biology is a little bit more tricky because of variation and mutation...but the concepts hold.

It’s why surgeons never try to do a heart valve replacement by entering through the rectum...the proven way works fine.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Wow. That's completely different from this study reported three days ago. https://time.com/5848949/covid-19-asymptomatic-spread/
I truly hope that the WHO's report is correct.
There are two possible interpretations here, as far as I can tell. Both lead to the same conclusion.

Possibility 1: The science indicates that asymptomatic transmission is very rare and we never should have shut down.

Possibility 2: The scientists can't agree on what the science indicates... so we never should have shut down.

aliceismad

There are two possible interpretations here, as far as I can tell. Both lead to the same conclusion.

Possibility 1: The science indicates that asymptomatic transmission is very rare and we never should have shut down.

Possibility 2: The scientists can't agree on what the science indicates... so we never should have shut down.
That's not really how I see it. But you are entitled to your opinion, sir.

disneygeek90

So all those super-spreader incidents where a lot of people got the virus from people who had no symptoms...?

Or the rapid, exponential spread in high density areas even after people with symptoms were self-isolating...?
I'm a bit skeptical to believe that most of the 2 million cases in the US would have contracted the virus from people that had symptoms. Doesn't add up given the stay at home orders and initial panic in March and April.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I am a little skeptical of this. WHO saying asymptomatic spread isn't common, CDC said it wasn't common to be spread from touching surfaces. If it's mainly spread by people who have symptoms, and people are quite aware of this virus and it's symptoms, I would't think it would be spreading as much as it it.
This is where my head is at as well. If this is truly the case, then would social distancing rules still apply and would temperature readings actually suffice at the Parks now? Maybe I am reading too much into this, but that is earth shattering news if true. It completely changes how we have been doing things.

October82

Possibility 3: Policy makers should act based on the best currently available evidence, with the knowledge that decisions made in the future may be different in light of new information. Science is hard and it takes time.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I love how many of us are automatically skeptical of any good news (even when it is based on available data), but when bad news is reported, our response is “yep, makes sense.” I’m including myself in this. Also, I am hesitant with anything reported by WHO given their...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I love how many of us are automatically skeptical of any good news (even when it is based on available data), but when bad news is reported, our response is “yep, makes sense.” I’m including myself in this. Also, I am hesitant with anything reported by WHO given their...

I have a reason for my skepticism posted above based on the experience of how the disease prgressed. So, don't try to characterize it to fit whatever narrative you're creating.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Here are the quotes from the WHO. People can take it or leave it.

“From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual,” Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said at a news briefing from the United Nations agency’s Geneva headquarters. “It’s very rare.”
More research and data are needed to “truly answer” the question of whether the coronavirus can spread widely through asymptomatic carriers, Van Kerkhove added.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Possibility 3: Policy makers should act based on the best currently available evidence, with the knowledge that decisions made in the future may be different in light of new information. Science is hard and it takes time.
So do we now act and potentially adjust policy based on what WHO is stating publicly? Or the study that states the opposite?
I don’t think this really changes much given where we are right now.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Except the decisions they made were so severe and had such drastic consequences that they never should have made them without something very close to certainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom