Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianstl

I don't claim to be a science guy, but I'll take a stab at it anyway.

I don't read this statement as saying protests are not a potential spreading event, I simply read it at face value: we don't condemn these protests... but that doesn't mean all gatherings are ok.

ie - some things (like social justice) may be important enough to take risks.
But that isn’t really public health science. That is an emotional response.

DisneyDebRob

It's about what the media focuses on, and what they don't.
The media made a decision to largely gloss over the extent of the damage.
They do very few stories of the people affected, their businesses lost... The years of hard work, time effort.
There are human interest stories there, and they are almost exclusively ignored.
All while saying protests were "mostly peaceful."
I saw a youtube video posted by a guy who drove through the blocks that have the high end stores in Manhattan.
He drove block after block, over 4 minutes of driving - showing stores boarded up for entire blocks.
I had NO idea it was that extensive.
That is a story that any honest to goodness news agency would and should show.
But they don't.
Your post had nothing to do with what I asked him. I asked him who said the riots were excusable like he said people were saying. He did not respond and your post did not either. We all know the heavy damage small business has taken. That wasn’t the point of the inquiry. Anyway, we are off topic for here.

Incomudro

Your post had nothing to do with what I asked him. I asked him who said the riots were excusable like he said people were saying. He did not respond and your post did not either. We all know the heavy damage small business has taken. That wasn’t the point of the inquiry. Anyway, we are off topic for here.

My point is that the media didn't say the riots were excusable.
Not in words.
Rather, they decided that we didn't need to know about them.

DisneyCane

There was a big increase in tests in mid to late May and the percent positive went down. And when testing went down, the rate positive started to climb. So, therefore, there is an inverse relationship between the two...

Except... before that big spike in tests in mid May, there was no clear correlation between tests and rate positive. And for the past few days, testing went back up and rate positive didn't go down, but continued to climb.

And... correlation isn't causation.

I've posted before that rate positive is unreliable unless there is systematic randomized testing, so, I'm not going to die on the hill that rate positive is increasing.

But, when you take into account the increasing number of absolute positives and the failure of the death rate to go down significantly... I don't think any case can be made that things are getting better in Florida.

View attachment 475023

View attachment 475024
I'm pretty sure that chart is using the overall positive rate, not the new case positive rate. The relevant rate to the disease prevalence is the new case positive. The overall testing numbers include re-tests of previous positives. These are completely irrelevant to trends. The weekly metric on the dashboard is the new case positive rate.

The new case positive rate 6/1-6/6 was 5.66%, 4.51%, 3.51%, 3.33%, 3.21%, 2.60%. I'll wait for the dashboard to calculate the average. To figure it out from the report requires figuring out the denominator for each day because the report has total tests but doesn't remove the re-tests. I'd guess that when the dashboard updates the weekly stats the new case positive rate will remain roughly flat in the 3.5%-4% range where it has been except for the one low outlier week.

Daily hospitalizations as tracked by tallahasseereports.com show a slight downward trend. Since hospitalization rate should track roughly with actual (not documented) cases, that indicates that the outbreak isn't increasing. If anything, it is decreasing after the whole state entered "full Phase 1." It is too early to judge Phase 2 for all except Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade.

tests.jpg

rle4lunch

I would REALLY like to see what CDC guideline you are referring to, because it is not at all what they currently have posted about CLOTH masks. I am a clinician and also have to keep up on this data. I really wonder if you have confused other info or misread recomendations.

CDC is still posting the recommendation to wear cloth masaks whenever out in public. Remember that the cloth mask helps protect others, not the wearer, so the proximity to an infected person is not the issue for the wearer. However, the opinion of the WHO differs from the CDC recommendations on cloth masks. And the CDC has very different recommendations about cloth masks vs surgical and N95 masks, which are supposed to protect the wearer.

Please go back and reread your info. And, post your source for us, please.
https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA3990.pdf

This is the guidance that the gov't has me following for preparing our workplace for full reentry of personnel. Masks are not recommended unless you have constant, prolonged <6ft separation from co-workers, otherwise they are not recommended for workers (food/customer service is a different category than normal staff/office jobs). Like I said earlier, me, my wife and kids tested positive for the antibody, so I'm not discounting the virus. It was a hell of a cold for me since I'm more prone to bronchial issues (had bronchitis for a month afterward), and my sons rolling fever was a bit scary.

Nevertheless, I know that there is a mass hysteria (because that's how we do it nowadays) and folks want to feel safe. People that feel they are more susceptible to it (over 65, obese, underlying heath issues) should take caution. Those who are healthy, not in the higher age ranges, or feel they'll be 'okay', should probably just live their lives and not worry about something that is going to be around until the end of time.

Last edited:

Tink242424

Wow, I can't believe I don't see anyone here commenting on the resort article. They specifically said that having a resort reservation does NOT guarantee you access to the theme parks. That is very different from other places and I can maybe see why but that would NOT want to make me stay on-site with the prices being what they are...

robhedin

I just cant see this happening - we have put our (crazy) quarantine rules in today and I cant see the flight ban being lifted for another few months at least -
I don't follow. I'm not aware of a flight ban *into* Orlando. I can get a flight today from LHR to MCO on American, United, BA, Air France, etc.

Even the state of emergency which currently has a quarantine order for people from NYC et al is currently scheduled to expire around July 9th (unless it gets extended again).

Now the UK *does* currently have a required quarantine for travel back into the UK (not sure why they enacted it now though, seems a bit late); no idea how long that will stay in effect with so many opposing it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I don't follow. I'm not aware of a flight ban *into* Orlando. I can get a flight today from LHR to MCO on American, United, BA, Air France, etc.

Even the state of emergency which currently has a quarantine order for people from NYC et al is currently scheduled to expire around July 9th (unless it gets extended again).

Now the UK *does* currently have a required quarantine for travel back into the UK (not sure why they enacted it now though, seems a bit late); no idea how long that will stay in effect with so many opposing it.
The US border is closed to non-US citizens arriving from Europe. Flights can operate, but depending on the passport you have, it may not be possible to fly.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Disney Cruise Line has just announced that they will be suspending all Disney Magic sailings through October 2, 2020."

"Impacted departures include:

8/5 – 8-Night Northern Europe
8/13 – 7-Night Northern Europe
8/20 – 10-Night Northern Europe
8/30 – 7-Night Norwegian Fjords
9/6 – 7-Night British Isles
9/13 – 5-Night Western Europe
10/2 – 10-Night Westbound Transatlantic"

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
"Disney Cruise Line has just announced that they will be suspending all Disney Magic sailings through October 2, 2020."

"Impacted departures include:

8/5 – 8-Night Northern Europe
8/13 – 7-Night Northern Europe
8/20 – 10-Night Northern Europe
8/30 – 7-Night Norwegian Fjords
9/6 – 7-Night British Isles
9/13 – 5-Night Western Europe
10/2 – 10-Night Westbound Transatlantic"

Good.

Kevin_W

Interesting. This will add to the average lay-person's confusion (or anger) over confusing and changing guidance, I suspect. I'd also bet it will be used as ammunition from the anti-mask crowd since the primary justification I've heard is that you might be asymptomatic and transmitting the disease, so wear the mask as a precaution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom