Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

I promise I don’t say this with malice, because I’m genuinely just curious, but how do you train a child to wear a mask in Florida heat and humidity for 6 to 10 hours a day without being outside in the Florida of heat and humidity for 6 to 10 hours a day? Can you teach a child to wear a mask for short periods of time? Sure. I believe that. But how often did hear kids complain at the parks about being hot and just wanting to go back to the hotel room and swim, back in The Beforetime when no one was wearing a mask? Adding a mask into that mix? I see exponential growth of meltdowns happening…From children and adults alike!
Well, summers get super hot and humid up here, too, so I could always wait until our weather mimics that of Florida, but I could also fill the bathroom up with steam and use that to practice.

Polynesia

Well there’s you answer folks. Start training your four year olds and up to wear a mask.
I see masks everywhere I go in Florida. It appears we’ve adapted quite easily. That’s not to say in the extreme heat for hours I’d be comfortable. I wonder if other states are as diligent in wearing masks? This could be a deal breaker for many.

DisneyCane

I see masks everywhere I go in Florida. It appears we’ve adapted quite easily. That’s not to say in the extreme heat for hours I’d be comfortable. I wonder if other states are as diligent in wearing masks? This could be a deal breaker for many.

Some states are like Florida. Some (one in particular) almost nobody is wearing one if they aren't a restaurant employee. Some are 50/50 in the larger towns but almost nobody in rural areas.

As I said in another thread, after wearing a mask from the time I entered the airport until I exited the destination airport (all climate controlled), there is no way I could stand wearing a mask for hours on end in 90 degree heat and high humidity at WDW. I definitely wouldn't be taking a happy, masked selfie like the actors in the Shanghai reopening video.

DisneyCane

I know Yellowstone is opening up this month, but only the south side entrance will be open because Montana still has the 14 day quarantine for visitors in place.
I really think by July most of these restrictions will be lifted.

It seems like Glacier National Park will also start opening (at least one lodge) on 5/22 and all by 6/15. You can only get there through Montana (or hiking in from Canada) so I imagine the 14 day quarantine is expected to be removed by then.

Peter Pan's Shadow

Has anyone had better luck with certain kinds of masks? Specifically wondering about the more substantial ones compared to the less structured ones and which anyone thinks would be better to walk the parks in?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In the places more hard hit most people are taking the mask thing very seriously. It’s become a way of life to get basics like groceries, take out food and medicine. Most people know someone who got sick and many know people who died. All the statistics in the world aren‘t helping you feel any better when it’s someone you love who is impacted. I think it’s understandable if you live in a county that has had something like single digit cases overall that you would be less inclined to feel the masks are necessary. Most people probably realize that WDW is different than their local town so more precautions are needed, but who knows. I think the protest crowd is really a small minority. Most people will either follow the rules or choose not to go.

As far as kids go, I have not seen any little kids in masks anywhere. I don’t go out much so it’s a poor sample size but it’s all adults. I can’t imagine bringing a 3 year old to a theme park all day in a mask, but to each their own. I think it’s going to be very difficult for Disney to enforce masks on small children. If a kid is crying and won’t put the mask on are they going to force them to leave? I guess so, but that’s a tough situation for all involved. I’d hate to be a CM forced to deal with all that.

Kevin_W

Has anyone had better luck with certain kinds of masks? Specifically wondering about the more substantial ones compared to the less structured ones and which anyone thinks would be better to walk the parks in?

I've only worn 2 kinds: a hospital-type one and an N95 (well, and a full-face HEPA respirator for work). Of those two, the hospital-type is probably more dangerous in that it required much more fiddling to get to stay on my face, but it was far more comfortable from a heat/breathing point-of-view.

The full-face respirator comes in last place. :)

ilovetotravel1977

I read on cbc.ca on the New Brunswick locale their Premier noting the US/Canada border will be closed for another 30 days after the current closure is set to expire May 21. So if International travel is closed until at least June 21, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept it closed until after July 1 (Canada Day) and July 4.

peter11435

I read on cbc.ca on the New Brunswick locale their Premier noting the US/Canada border will be closed for another 30 days after the current closure is set to expire May 21. So if International travel is closed until at least June 21, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept it closed until after July 1 (Canada Day) and July 4.
They won’t be concerned with international travel restrictions.

TeriofTerror

" Please be sure you have an ample amount of face coverings for yourself and your party before you arrive, as you’ll need to wear them over your nose and mouth at all times (except when sitting at a dining table)."
"Sitting at a dining table" seems to put the kibosh on walking around eating a Mickey bar without a mask.

Epcotbob

I promise I don’t say this with malice, because I’m genuinely just curious, but how do you train a child to wear a mask in Florida heat and humidity for 6 to 10 hours a day without being outside in the Florida of heat and humidity for 6 to 10 hours a day? Can you teach a child to wear a mask for short periods of time? Sure. I believe that. But how often did hear kids complain at the parks about being hot and just wanting to go back to the hotel room and swim, back in The Beforetime when no one was wearing a mask? Adding a mask into that mix? I see exponential growth of meltdowns happening…From children and adults alike!

Probably have to try and prepare them at home before you go. Make it clear that if at any point they refuse to wear the mask, it’s game over and you leave. And then stick with it. Kids usually comply when they know the consequences are real.

natatomic

" Please be sure you have an ample amount of face coverings for yourself and your party before you arrive, as you’ll need to wear them over your nose and mouth at all times (except when sitting at a dining table)."
"Sitting at a dining table" seems to put the kibosh on walking around eating a Mickey bar without a mask.

don’t people need to drink water in the heat? How in earth is this going to work?

edited for a weird autocorrect

Communicora

Premium Member
Someone on another site recommended Jaanuu. Apparently they have a wicking material in one of the layers to make it more comfortable. They are a company that also makes scrubs.

Miss Bella

It seems like Glacier National Park will also start opening (at least one lodge) on 5/22 and all by 6/15. You can only get there through Montana (or hiking in from Canada) so I imagine the 14 day quarantine is expected to be removed by then.
Yellowstone is on my list of back up plans if WDW isn’t open in August. I haven’t been there since I was a kid. My kids have never been there.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
don’t keep them to drink water in the heat? How in earth is this going to work?
My guess is that you will have to move off to the side or somewhere that has less crowd traffic to take the mask down/up to sip some water. I think it was suggested by a few people earlier that they would just walk around with a drink or food in their hands and no mask and if anyone called them on it they would say they were eating. It doesn’t sound like that plan will work. It’s going to be an altered experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom