Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mom

Premium Member
Is that really the end goal of discussion and argument(note: argument does not necessarily mean heated or emotional debate but taking a position and attempting to support it)???
If it is an assumed prerequisite for discussion here then I'm not understanding why.

It looks like you're saying you disapprove if posters remain steady in their position........or does that only apply to more politically charged speech?

3 2 1........ready for the avalanche of support to the rebuttal.

The first time someone does this, it is discussion. By the 4th time it is just argumentative. There are some posters who bring the same "discussion" into multiple threads, with the same arguments, and the same posters respond, so it continues into other threads.

In this instance, pretty much all of the positions - and supporting arguments - have already been posted. Multiple times, so it is the same argument over and over. In the same threads.

Last edited:

The Mom

Premium Member
Yes, I'm aware Disney is not the leader in the cruise industry and it's pretty obvious now. Cruises and traveling out of the country is not last thing on peoples mind. It just is on this board.
I thought I posted in the cruise section. I got my threads mixed up.

oops. ;)

nickys

Premium Member
For DVC members to be first ALL the states will need to be at the same point of letting people freely travel. As I don’t see that happening real soon if Disney wants to do a soft opening it will have to be with locals. Even then Florida will have to wait for all counties to be at the same phase. Miami has been harder impacted by this and are just starting phase 1 on Monday. As others have stated Disney might hold off until more people can freely travel. Right now it’s a guessing game for all of us. I’m anxious to see how Disney Springs goes.

Why would all states have to be letting people travel? As I understand it, some people are allowed to travel now, and are visiting other states. There are flights happening every day, and many will choose to drive. So any DVC members who can get to WDW for their reservation can be used to try out procedures. Along with any locals who fit the criteria they set, for example AP holders, who are also able to get there. Then they start opening the resorts and letting resort guests in too.

There is no reason for Disney to wait until all DVC members are free to travel to Florida.

Peter Pan's Shadow

I have been watching vloggers showing city walk at Universal Orlando, they started with limited offerings, opening after 4PM. One vlogger said he did see guests not wearing masks and he asked a team member (employee) about it and the team member said That only managers were allowed to ASK a guest to put a mask on. The front line workers cannot even ask visitors to put a mask on.

it will be interesting how Disney handles visitors who don’t wear masks.
I've been mulling this topic over as well. So small kids, special needs, etc. and their challenges, of course, will need to be considered. Then add in someone not in those categories that says they need a break from a mask, can't breathe, they're standing all by themselves so what's the harm, someone citing constitutional rights or whatever, etc. What a bag of worms. Then to have a 19 yr old CM ask them to put a mask on and they say no, then what? It's a lot of things to juggle with a "simple mask directive". This is why I like watching all the YT vids of Citywalk to look for this stuff. In the same vid the guy said only managers could tell you to put a mask on, I saw several adults walking without a mask on. And what about the probability of people using street justice to make others put a mask on for their personal safety? It's all going to happen as the numbers of guests increase.

Giss Neric

I've been mulling this topic over as well. So small kids, special needs, etc. and their challenges, of course, will need to be considered. Then add in someone not in those categories that says they need a break from a mask, can't breathe, they're standing all by themselves so what's the harm, someone citing constitutional rights or whatever, etc. What a bag of worms. Then to have a 19 yr old CM ask them to put a mask on and they say no, then what? It's a lot of things to juggle with a "simple mask directive". This is why I like watching all the YT vids of Citywalk to look for this stuff. In the same vid the guy said only managers could tell you to put a mask on, I saw several adults walking without a mask on. And what about the probability of people using street justice to make others put a mask on for their personal safety? It's all going to happen as the numbers of guests increase.
What they should do is to put a huge sign at the entrance of parking that says NO MASK, NO ENTRY. People have the option to just turn back around or deal with it. Stores can also turn guests away if they entered without masks.

We cannot be lenient to entitlement cause consequences are huge. I hope Disney Springs is monitoring this closely.

Last edited:

Polynesia

Why would all states have to be letting people travel? As I understand it, some people are allowed to travel now, and are visiting other states. There are flights happening every day, and many will choose to drive. So any DVC members who can get to WDW for their reservation can be used to try out procedures. Along with any locals who fit the criteria they set, for example AP holders, who are also able to get there. Then they start opening the resorts and letting resort guests in too.

There is no reason for Disney to wait until all DVC members are free to travel to Florida.
How will Disney monitor guests from states that done yet allow travel? Will they ban certain areas of the country? I don’t know what will happen

Miss Bella

People are still flying. Loads are down because nothing is open, but that should slowly change. There are no non-stops until July on AA from where I live to MCO, but then they are planning on bringing back one flight in July and back up to three in August. If WDW is not open I'm sure those will be reduced back to one.
I think there are still a few states that require a 14-day quarantine, but hopefully, those will be lifted as the Summer tourism season kicks off.

Miss Bella

How will Disney monitor guests from states that done yet allow travel? Will they ban certain areas of the country? I don’t know what will happen
I know a handful of states aren't letting people fly in without quarantine, but what states aren't allowing people to fly out?

crawale

I think a further restriction will be for people staying at resorts. That way they can monitor where you come from by driver's license. Rental property is not allowed for people from out of country and certain states where they have not moved to a phased status. This would imply that DVC members from abroad would not be admitted.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For DVC members to be first ALL the states will need to be at the same point of letting people freely travel. As I don’t see that happening real soon if Disney wants to do a soft opening it will have to be with locals. Even then Florida will have to wait for all counties to be at the same phase. Miami has been harder impacted by this and are just starting phase 1 on Monday. As others have stated Disney might hold off until more people can freely travel. Right now it’s a guessing game for all of us. I’m anxious to see how Disney Springs goes.
I generally agree with this. I do think Disney needs to wait until most people can freely travel before opening. There was an article posted hundreds of pages back that said 85% of the customer base for WDW comes from outside of Florida. It’s not financially feasible to open WDW with only FL residents for longer than a brief soft opening period and even that would possibly only be a few resorts and a park or two. Even opening for FL only anytime soon is problematic. As you said Miami is just starting phase 1 and that’s the largest population center in FL. Chapek said on the earnings call they would not open the parks unless they could generate positive operating margin so it’s a pipe dream that some people have that WDW will open for FL residents only soon and it will be empty and all attractions will be walk on. That could happen for a few weeks before the full opening but not any time soon.

As far as opening for certain states, I doubt that will happen either. Disney wants no parts of policing people’s state of origin. If it’s not safe to operate with people from those states in attendance then it’s not safe to open. Aside from the obvious issues with enforcing those types of rules the PR hit would be devastating long term. You would be alienating people from the Northeast where a large chunk of your regular customers come. Disney as a business doesn’t want to alienate a valuable chunk of their customer base so that a handful of people can visit the MK a few weeks or a month earlier. It makes little business sense.

The Mom

Premium Member

If they are from a state that FL has put on the self-quarantine list, they can be arrested, fined, etc. I have read about this happening in Hawaii, but haven't read/heard anything about it happening in FL - but that doesn't mean it hasn't.

As I asked before, do you (general you) feel lucky? Or do you want to spend your vacation dealing with police, courts, etc? If I lived in one of those states, that would be one more thing to add to my list of reasons I won't be going to WDW for a while.

Patcheslee

as no one has ever changed someone else's mind. ;)
I managed to talk my 11yo out of wanting to wear heels to her father/daughter dance once 🤣
If they are from a state that FL has put on the self-quarantine list, they can be arrested, fined, etc. I have read about this happening in Hawaii, but haven't read/heard anything about it happening in FL - but that doesn't mean it hasn't.

As I asked before, do you (general you) feel lucky? Or do you want to spend your vacation dealing with police, courts, etc? If I lived in one of those states, that would be one more thing to add to my list of reasons I won't be going to WDW for a while.
Live in Indiana and hoping for an Ohio vacation in June/July, even without spending near my Disney vacation budget, I'd personally not risk it.

CanadianGordon

As much as it pains me I may not get to visit Disney World again until late next year. Will have to settle for seeing Canada this year. I hope.

nickys

Premium Member
I think a further restriction will be for people staying at resorts. That way they can monitor where you come from by driver's license. Rental property is not allowed for people from out of country and certain states where they have not moved to a phased status. This would imply that DVC members from abroad would not be admitted.
The international guests are a moot point. We can’t come into the US period. When we can we’ll probably be told we have to quarantine at first.

TrainsOfDisney

I know a handful of states aren't letting people fly in without quarantine, but what states aren't allowing people to fly out?

I think everyone is free to travel in the USA. When you arrive, you may be told you must self-Quarantine.

Live in Indiana and hoping for an Ohio vacation in June/July, even without spending near my Disney vacation budget, I'd personally not risk it.

I think a lot of people will be vacationing close to home. I’ve visited my local state parks way more then ever before already.

Destinations like Vegas and Orlando are going to have it rough I think.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think a lot of people will be vacationing close to home. I’ve visited my local state parks way more then ever before already.

Destinations like Vegas and Orlando are going to have it rough I think.
I agree. This will likely be a Summer of local stuff for most people. Outdoor activities will also dominate for most people. Parks & beaches will be popular. The airlines are going to take a beating too as well as more national attractions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom