Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patcheslee

This is not specifically Disney related, though I’d imagine Disney would want to implement this policy. For any employer who requires temperature checks, are you punished for having a temperature and marked as absent or whatever? Like, it’s not your fault that you’re sick, and maybe you even feel totally fine and able to work, hence the reason you go to work unaware you gave a fever. Do you still have to take a mark against you on your employer’s attendance matrix? Would it vary by employer?
I don’t know, it just seems like calling out all together is one thing. But actually showing up and being sent home against your choice is different, especially if you feel fine.
My husband's employer is making them use vacation days because "FMLA doesn't apply to small businesses". I'm to the point of calling the labor department on them because the extended FMLA is meant to cover them and cannot force them to use PTO where covid pay would apply.:mad:

DisneyDebRob

"In the most dramatic sign to date that even the deepest pockets on Broadway will struggle to recover from the extended COVID-19 shutdown that began March 12, Disney Theatrical Productions confirmed today that its opulent stage adaptation of Frozen will not be returning to New York's St. James Theatre when the sector reopens."

Now I’m really glad I got to see it last year. Wonderful show.

Polynesia

This is not specifically Disney related, though I’d imagine Disney would want to implement this policy. For any employer who requires temperature checks, are you punished for having a temperature and marked as absent or whatever? Like, it’s not your fault that you’re sick, and maybe you even feel totally fine and able to work, hence the reason you go to work unaware you gave a fever. Do you still have to take a mark against you on your employer’s attendance matrix? Would it vary by employer?
I don’t know, it just seems like calling out all together is one thing. But actually showing up and being sent home against your choice is different, especially if you feel fine.
I imagine Disney and other businesses will come up with new rules to address this situation. Perhaps you can release your shift, take a sick day, take a vacation day or take it unpaid. I would hope employers don’t punish their employees by assigning points to this type of scenario.

Disney Analyst

"In the most dramatic sign to date that even the deepest pockets on Broadway will struggle to recover from the extended COVID-19 shutdown that began March 12, Disney Theatrical Productions confirmed today that its opulent stage adaptation of Frozen will not be returning to New York's St. James Theatre when the sector reopens."

Simply shocked that this is the first to go. Does not bode well for many shows.

MickeyLuv'r

I agree that they can't realistically open just for certain states once they decide to allow non-FL residents in. Let's say NY and NJ are on the "do not allow in" list but the surrounding states are okay. How do they know someone from MD didn't visit relatives in NJ before leaving for FL or didn't fly in from Atlantic City because the flight was cheaper and they wanted to fly out of a smaller airport? If they don't use the Magical Express and provide their flight information then there's no way to know.

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

ImperfectPixie

My husband's employer is making them use vacation days because "FMLA doesn't apply to small businesses". I'm to the point of calling the labor department on them because the extended FMLA is meant to cover them and cannot force them to use PTO where covid pay would apply.:mad:
My husband's employer is getting a $400,000 loan that becomes a grant, and just made him work last week for basically nothing to cover our insurance. Mind you - they're working billable jobs, so the company IS getting paid by clients and also getting free money...but the company had to make sure they don't lose a cent on our insurance.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
The STCU agreement with WDW for reopening has some clarity for measures WDW will take upon reopening:
  • Social distancing practices
  • Increased cleaning
  • Mandatory masks for workers and guests
  • Plastic barriers and touchless transactions at cash registers
  • Temperature checks for guests

jmp85

My husband's employer is getting a $400,000 loan that becomes a grant, and just made him work last week for basically nothing to cover our insurance. Mind you - they're working billable jobs, so the company IS getting paid by clients and also getting free money...but the company had to make sure they don't lose a cent on our insurance.

I know someone who is basically going to make a free $100,000 off of the SBA loans as well. The business isn't losing money (or lost any significant amount of business), but the loan will be forgiven.

Kevin_W

Are they keeping the touring production going? That's scheduled to come to our town next year.

jmp85

The STCU agreement with WDW for reopening has some clarity for measures WDW will take upon reopening:
  • Increased cleaning

Well there you have it. We'll see how this goes...

Polynesia

• Increased cleaning

Good for cast members
Employees who contract COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, will receive paid time off to quarantine, the statement said.

MickeyLuv'r

That doesn't keep someone from renting a vehicle and requesting a FL plated one. There are people that will try to work around anything.

When I have rented cars in FL or any other state, they usually come with plates from that state. You make it sound a little nefarious.

Rental car plates are based on where the car is registered, not where the renter resides. It is rare to find a rental a car in FL with NY or NJ plates.

Generally speaking, drivers pay a hefty surcharge on one-way rentals.

Mind, in the before times, WDW has sometimes checked ID's. If Disney really wanted, they could check ID's to confirm residency. I'm not saying it will happen, only that it is possible.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

When I have rented cars in FL or any other state, they usually come with plates from that state. You make it sound a little nefarious.

Rental car plates are based on where the car is registered, not where the renter resides. It is rare to find a rental a car in FL with NY or NJ plates.

Funny you would say this. Last nights news showed video of the Wells Fargo center here in Phila. Home to the 76’rs and flyers. Anyway, there has been no sports of course but there were 2,500 cars counted in the lots. So they did some digging and Enterprise car rentals was given the go ahead to store their rental cars from all their places around here because no one is renting. It’s down to 1,700 cars from a few weeks ago but showing the backs of the cars the license plates were from almost every state.

Patcheslee

Mind, in the before times, WDW has sometimes checked ID's. If Disney really wanted, they could check ID's to confirm residency. I'm not saying it will happen, only that it is possible.
I'm just saying it's possible that people would attempt it. There were people going to vacation homes to avoid stay-at-home orders.

Chip Chipperson

If it's a PPP loan then it only becomes a grant if 75% of the loan goes to payroll costs. Under the scenario you're describing, I'm not sure they'd qualify for the grant if employees are forced to increase their contributions to their insurance coverage while the employer applies the loan proceeds to other items.

MickeyLuv'r

Funny you would say this. Last nights news showed video of the Wells Fargo center here in Phila. Home to the 76’rs and flyers. Anyway, there has been no sports of course but there were 2,500 cars counted in the lots. So they did some digging and Enterprise car rentals was given the go ahead to store their rental cars from all their places around here because no one is renting. It’s down to 1,700 cars from a few weeks ago but showing the backs of the care the license plates were from almost every state.

Wow!

Local car dealers have been storing new cars at local malls for some time. I momentarily forgot that last December. For a moment, I thought the December crowds had returned to a local mall that's been slowly dying, at least until I saw the window stickers.

Speaking of irony, I find it slightly ironic that so many people suddenly care about shopping malls being open! Where were they last December? Amazing how people's minds work. They always want the thing they can't have.

Will we see the re-birth of shopping malls?

DisneyDebRob

Wow!

Local car dealers have been storing new cars at local malls for some time. I momentarily forgot that last December. For a moment, I thought the December crowds had returned to a local mall that's been slowly dying, at least until I saw the window stickers.

Speaking of irony, I find it slightly ironic that so many people suddenly care about shopping malls being open! Where were they last December? Amazing how people's minds work. They always want the thing they can't have.

Will we see the re-birth of shopping malls?
You know people always want what they can’t have. Malls all over the place were going under before this happened. Now everyone wants to go to the mall. Human nature.
We won’t see a rebirth, just a lot of people there until they once again realize they don’t like it.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Funny you would say this. Last nights news showed video of the Wells Fargo center here in Phila. Home to the 76’rs and flyers. Anyway, there has been no sports of course but there were 2,500 cars counted in the lots. So they did some digging and Enterprise car rentals was given the go ahead to store their rental cars from all their places around here because no one is renting. It’s down to 1,700 cars from a few weeks ago but showing the backs of the cars the license plates were from almost every state.
There’s dealer and rental cars in my part of Ohio all over the place - strip malls, private schools, hotels, dead malls, you name it. Usually a few of the high volume car dealers keep a few hundred cars in the parking lots of some dead plazas near their lots so they can have more immediately available inventory, but this is something else - thousands and thousands of vehicles. Never seen anything like it; even in 2008/2009 when there was that absurd glut of American cars it wasn’t half as many as this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom