Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin_W

Outside of NY and Northern CA where they ran some antibody studies has there been any conclusive testing done to show that the infection rate is actually 10 to 20 times the positives reported?

Somewhat surprisingly, I haven't seen any wide serology tests reported. Ohio talked about doing one a few weeks ago, but I've heard nothing. I've seen lots of news of hundreds of thousands of serology tests available, so it seems widespread statistical testing should be possible.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Somewhat surprisingly, I haven't seen any wide serology tests reported. Ohio talked about doing one a few weeks ago, but I've heard nothing. I've seen lots of news of hundreds of thousands of serology tests available, so it seems widespread statistical testing should be possible.
So far in PA this is all they say:

Does This Plan Include Serologic (Antibody) Testing?
The Wolf Administration is continuing to review available research on tests that identify previous exposure to COVID-19. At this time, serology testing is not being implemented on a widescale throughout the commonwealth. However, this testing strategy will be adapted as more information and resources become available.

hopemax

I think places are waiting until the validity of the tests are established.

Polynesia

We were staying at home long before anyone else in our area. Started on March 6th.
As soon as I heard Disney was being shut down I locked down. My son stayed at home the day after Disney closed. I still contend that it’s highly possible that the virus was in our area since early in the year which explains why you aren’t hearing about people being sick from Disney in March. People were being pro active in staying at home before they were ordered.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We were staying at home long before anyone else in our area. Started on March 6th.
Right. Even people who weren’t completely locked down were not looking to travel anywhere too far. Airlines started to take a hit in February. Most large corporations started to implement their emergency management plans long before required by law. Even WDW closed before mandated by law. The economic hit was coming. Stay at home orders may have accelerated the drop off but it was coming either way. As the article stated it’s possible that FL is now opening things earlier than they may otherwise have been able to if people didn’t voluntarily start curbing their interactions with others. In other words the economy could have taken a bigger long term hit.

hopemax

The great toilet paper / sanitizer run had already started the first week of March. We got off a plane on March 4th and went to Costco and the grocery store and the stockpiling had already begun. Many things were already unavailable at Costco. The last "normal" thing we did was for my DH's birthday on March 9th. We went to a restaurant, we normally eat at. It was only about half full, when normally there are people out the door. Behavior was changing before the stay at home started, and it would have continued. Certainly, in the service industry jobs that have been most affected travel & leisure, restaurants, retail.

techgeek

I get what he’s saying too. Unfortunately we will never know the answer to how bad the economy would be had things been allowed to progress naturally.

I remember experts saying, when the first talk of ‘flattening the curve’ started... “...if this is successful, after the fact it will all look like a massive over-reaction. But it’s not.”

And here we are.

We’ll never know how many lives might have been lost either.

Piebald

I'm fortunate to not have to leave the house much. I've come to the realization that masks are truly uncomfortable and awful. People are insane if they think the masses will tolerate mandatory masks at Disney in even the slightest heat or humidity let alone summer months.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As far as opening up goes, I’m pretty optimistic so far. It’s not going to be an instant fix. The recovery is going to be slow and painful and the only real magic bullet would be a vaccine which isn’t happening this year. One positive from a macroeconomic perspective is that the areas of the economy that were the most greatly impacted are also areas where people tend to spend most of their disposable income. Retail, leisure, travel and restaurants are all much easier to ramp up than manufacturing or even something like banking and financial services that got crippled in the last recession. A large portion of the economy is still functioning right now. People with office jobs work remotely, online retailers, grocery and essential goods, government, utilities, education are all still going. Healthcare was one of the biggest hit industries for layoffs and furloughs. That’s mostly because people are delaying elective procedures. That will reverse quickly as those services ramp back up.

One area that may be very challenging for a while still is business travel. Hotels, airlines and restaurants in urban centers rely heavily on business and convention travel. I think it will be slow to ramp that up. Companies will still be in cost cutting mode and will also be worried about sending people away and then exposing their workers when those people come back.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think they are opening that’s why I’m here. If I had no plans to visit WDW this Summer this thread would be of no interest to me.
If they open by August but they want us to wear masks I can give you a sweet deal on 10 DVC nights split between BC and Poly. ;)

Miss Bella

I don’t disagree about the mind changing. :) I do like to hear opinions from all sides even if I don’t agree.

As far as opening up goes, I’m pretty optimistic so far. It’s not going to be an instant fix. The recovery is going to be slow and painful and the only real magic bullet would be a vaccine which isn’t happening this year. One positive from a macroeconomic perspective is that the areas of the economy that were the most greatly impacted are also areas where people tend to spend most of their disposable income. Retail, leisure, travel and restaurants are all much easier to ramp up than manufacturing or even something like banking and financial services that got crippled in the last recession. A large portion of the economy is still functioning right now. People with office jobs work remotely, online retailers, grocery and essential goods, government, utilities, education are all still going. Healthcare was one of the biggest hit industries for layoffs and furloughs. That’s mostly because people are delaying elective procedures. That will reverse quickly as those services ramp back up.

One area that may be very challenging for a while still is business travel. Hotels, airlines and restaurants in urban centers rely heavily on business and convention travel. I think it will be slow to ramp that up. Companies will still be in cost cutting mode and will also be worried about sending people away and then exposing their workers when those people come back.
Thank you for always being polite and nice even when you disagree.

This has been a challenging time to say the least. I’m very stressed about the future. I don’t know what the economic implications are going to be for our family. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that my husband employer doesn’t have to file chapter 11 or worse liquidate.
I try to stay positive and keep planning the thing I love most and that’s traveling. If this works out I’ll do my part to help the travel industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom