Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
People are so fixated on masks. I don’t think masks, especially the do-it-yourself kind people are wearing, provide anything close to the kind of protection people seem to think they do, although they will capture the worst of a cough by an infected person. Hopefully that person will remember not to adjust the mask too often and then contaminate other surfaces. The important measures will involve social distancing, constant sanitation and people washing their hands and avoiding touching their faces.
I’m not against requiring face masks, and if they are required, people should wear them. I hope they don’t lead to a false sense of security though.

DCBaker

Premium Member
A look at what will be closed so far at the re-opening in Shanghai - hours will be 9:30 AM to 7:30 PM.

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 7.30.31 PM.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I feel very sorry for people who have rented DVC points and for the owners who have rented these points out. It must be a legal quagmire trying to work out whether contracts that have been signed require money to be re-paid in these circumstances.
It’s a tough call. During the closure period all of the points will be returned to the owner by Disney so it’s really difficult to justify just keeping someone’s money and also get the points back. However, if an owner used at least part of the money to pay annual maintenance fees they may not have the cash to return. I could see a good compromise being an offer to rebook a future stay using the same number of points. This way the owner keeps the cash and the renter gets to use the points. The only rub is you will most likely have to wait 7 to 11 months to redo the trip since rooms aren‘t available at most DVC resorts this summer/fall.

What will be even more interesting to see is what happens if the DVC resorts open but not the full parks. For example if they opened MK only for a few weeks or a month or if they kept EPCOT closed for a little while. Or if the parks open but with major restrictions. DVC isn’t goin to give the points back if the resort is open, but many renters may want to cancel anyway. Tough situation for all involved.

TrojanUSC

I continue to believe that the parks will not operate until a mask is not needed or the weather is such that it does not become its own safety issue.

Springs was opened for its own reason (third party tenants who had a right to have their business open). That’s about it. Now there’s going to be a (likely long) wait.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I continue to believe that the parks will not operate until a mask is not needed or the weather is such that it does not become its own safety issue.

Springs was opened for its own reason (third party tenants who had a right to have their business open). That’s about it. Now there’s going to be a (likely long) wait.
I’m right there with you. Except I’m thinking maybe not quite as long a wait. If FL moves relatively quickly to phase 3 of opening and social distancing is relaxed at that time there’s no need for these impractical hoops to jump through. They will still have modifications for a while but not masks and maybe not temperature checks which have their own issues in the FL sun. That’s when the parks open.

Calmdownnow

I could see a good compromise being an offer to rebook a future stay using the same number of points.
This doesn't work if the owner's "use year" for those points is expiring (e.g. if they have made the reservation using banked points from a previous year). The points may only be valid for re-booking in a time frame that doesn't work for the renter, so the owner will lose the points. That's why it all starts to become a contractual matter, rather than a matter of good will, and why it could become very messy for people in the rental market.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This doesn't work if the owner's "use year" for those points is expiring (e.g. if they have made the reservation using banked points from a previous year). The points may only be valid for re-booking in a time frame that doesn't work for the renter, so the owner will lose the points. That's why it all starts to become a contractual matter, rather than a matter of good will, and why it could become very messy for people in the rental market.
For cancelled stays (March up until now) they are extending the points into the next use year. So even if you banked 2018 points into 2019 with a March use year and used them for a March stay they are giving owners an extra 6 months to a year to use them. They are also returning borrowed points to the original use year so borrowed 2021 points get out back in the 2021 use year. If the person wants to cancel an August trip right now then the use year and all the rules still apply. It’s only for trips that were forced to be cancelled. It’s still a bad situation.

Miss Bella

People are so fixated on masks. I don’t think masks, especially the do-it-yourself kind people are wearing, provide anything close to the kind of protection people seem to think they do, although they will capture the worst of a cough by an infected person. Hopefully that person will remember not to adjust the mask too often and then contaminate other surfaces. The important measures will involve social distancing, constant sanitation and people washing their hands and avoiding touching their faces.
I’m not against requiring face masks, and if they are required, people should wear them. I hope they don’t lead to a false sense of security though.
I agree with on the masks. I don’t think their affective. If anyone decides to wear them just know there going to very irritating to your skin when they get wet. The moisture and the rubbing will most likely cause some kind of rash. Wearing one all day is very different than wearing one for an hour or so. I’m not sure if there something you can put on your skin to help with this. I haven’t found anything that helps.

They will also hurt your ears.If you wear a head band and attach it the band it’s better. Some girls wear ponytails or two buns and hook it around their hair.

ToTBellHop

I’m right there with you. Except I’m thinking maybe not quite as long a wait. If FL moves relatively quickly to phase 3 of opening and social distancing is relaxed at that time there’s no need for these impractical hoops to jump through. They will still have modifications for a while but not masks and maybe not temperature checks which have their own issues in the FL sun. That’s when the parks open.
I tend to agree here.

Something must be understood here. When Disney closed in March, no one thought it would be for this long. So the glass-is-half-empty folks who said in February that the parks would close for months shouldn’t congratulate themselves too much. This wasn’t the plan then.

Politics aren’t allowed here, yet there is much political calculus here. Look at China. There, masks are commonplace. People are used to a health QR code. So Disney requires both. In America, we don’t like true face masks as much, so a “face covering” made of a (flour) tortilla will do. Therefore, “face coverings” are required. Presently, most of the public agrees. However, I can see a shift occurring even up here in Connecticut. People are getting more hesitant to follow government policy. If the situation continues to improve over the summer, folks will become increasingly resistant to face coverings. And if we reach the point in July that most places stop requiring coverings, Disney will do the same. All they’ve said is that they’ll follow government guidelines. Right now, in general, that includes face coverings. I’m not convinced it will in a couple months.

Now, if relaxed distancing causes a spike by Memorial Day, all bets are off.

So, the prognosticators can relax a bit. No one knows how the parks will reopen, not even Disney. They will reopen in the way that society allows. And half of the prognosticators will say, “I was right!” when really, it should be, “I guessed correctly!” In reality, Disney just has a series of contingency plans right now and will select what the public demands.

If we are congratulating ourselves, I did say a few days back (Sunday at 8:04 pm) that they were “indeed preparing to reopen Disney Springs.”

I will accept Haunted Mansion pattern-on-a-flour-tortilla face coverings.

Miss Bella

"At the press conference Wednesday, DeSantis also elaborated on opening up antibody testing lanes at the drive-thru testing sites for healthcare workers and first responders. The serological tests could reveal whether a person has the antibodies to fight off COVID-19.

The antibody tests are now available at the Hard Rock Stadium site and will soon be available at other testing sites, like the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando and TIAA Bank Field in Jacksonville."

Luckily I just had to go to OCC health.

ImperfectPixie

I agree with on the masks. I don’t think their affective. If anyone decides to wear them just know there going to very irritating to your skin when they get wet. The moisture and the rubbing will most likely cause some kind of rash. Wearing one all day is very different than wearing one for an hour or so. I’m not sure if there something you can put on your skin to help with this. I haven’t found anything that helps.

They will also hurt your ears.If you wear a head band and attach it the band it’s better. Some girls wear ponytails or two buns and hook it around their hair.
My son gets REALLY bad chafing and a rash from bathing suits. The only thing that's helped is body glide...he hasn't had a single issue since he started using it.

Calmdownnow

I can imagine a scenario where the video on the Magic Express bus (if the service continues) starts with the type of video you get on the plane (exit points, seat belt requirements, oxygen masks etc), but instead focuses on mask wearing in the parks with tips to prevent chaffing, advice on when to change masks etc.

Chi84

Premium Member
It’s unfortunate if masks are uncomfortable, but that wasn’t my point. Earlier in this thread someone posted the protocol for mask- wearing and I’m pretty sure almost no one is taking these precautions. If a person is asymptomatic, he likely isn’t coughing yet. But he could be repeatedly touching his face when raising and lowering a flimsy mask, then spreading the virus by touching door knobs, handles, etc. Also, although people give lip service to the idea that the masks are to protect others rather than themselves and are not a substitute for social distancing, I’ve noticed that people wearing them rarely move away from others. Masks are valuable only if they are used in addition to, and not as a substitute for, other safety measures.

ImperfectPixie

It’s unfortunate if masks are uncomfortable, but that wasn’t my point. Earlier in this thread someone posted the protocol for mask- wearing and I’m pretty sure almost no one is taking these precautions. If a person is asymptomatic, he likely isn’t coughing yet. But he could be repeatedly touching his face when raising and lowering a flimsy mask, then spreading the virus by touching door knobs, handles, etc. Also, although people give lip service to the idea that the masks are to protect others rather than themselves and are not a substitute for social distancing, I’ve noticed that people wearing them rarely move away from others. Masks are valuable only if they are used in addition to, and not as a substitute for, other safety measures.
That falls 100% into the laps of the officials involved - there's been no consistent message on face-coverings or masks other than to leave N95 masks for health care workers (which they should be).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I tend to agree here.

Something must be understood here. When Disney closed in March, no one thought it would be for this long. So the glass-is-half-empty folks who said in February that the parks would close for months shouldn’t congratulate themselves too much. This wasn’t the plan then.

Politics aren’t allowed here, yet there is much political calculus here. Look at China. There, masks are commonplace. People are used to a health QR code. So Disney requires both. In America, we don’t like true face masks as much, so a “face covering” made of a (flour) tortilla will do. Therefore, “face coverings” are required. Presently, most of the public agrees. However, I can see a shift occurring even up here in Connecticut. People are getting more hesitant to follow government policy. If the situation continues to improve over the summer, folks will become increasingly resistant to face coverings. And if we reach the point in July that most places stop requiring coverings, Disney will do the same. All they’ve said is that they’ll follow government guidelines. Right now, in general, that includes face coverings. I’m not convinced it will in a couple months.

Now, if relaxed distancing causes a spike by Memorial Day, all bets are off.

So, the prognosticators can relax a bit. No one knows how the parks will reopen, not even Disney. They will reopen in the way that society allows. And half of the prognosticators will say, “I was right!” when really, it should be, “I guessed correctly!” In reality, Disney just has a series of contingency plans right now and will select what the public demands.

If we are congratulating ourselves, I did say a few days back (Sunday at 8:04 pm) that they were “indeed preparing to reopen Disney Springs.”

I will accept Haunted Mansion pattern-on-a-flour-tortilla face coverings.
I agree with this. I’ve been wrong about more things than I can even remember since this started. I think Disney will open the parks when they feel they can make money, keep their employees and guests safe and they can provide a minimum level of quality in the experience. They won’t feel pressure financially or pressure from park fans to open earlier than those things can be accomplished. FL seems to be relatively closely following the Federal Guidelines laid out and there’s really no practical way to open WDW until phase 3...so we sit and we wait. Hopefully things continue to go well with re-opening things.

Chi84

Premium Member
There are plenty of public service announcements about staying home. It would be nice to hear something about face masks - what they do and what they don’t do, and emphasizing that they are not a substitute for social distancing and hand sanitizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom