Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giss Neric

People are so fixated on masks. I don’t think masks, especially the do-it-yourself kind people are wearing, provide anything close to the kind of protection people seem to think they do, although they will capture the worst of a cough by an infected person. Hopefully that person will remember not to adjust the mask too often and then contaminate other surfaces. The important measures will involve social distancing, constant sanitation and people washing their hands and avoiding touching their faces.
I’m not against requiring face masks, and if they are required, people should wear them. I hope they don’t lead to a false sense of security though.
Your reasoning and logic is very valid. You're aware that masks are not the ultimate protection but still not against wearing it. Most Americans think that wearing masks is a violation of their constitutional rights and it's their body and their choice. People are really stretching it and going that deep. People who complain about masks are probably people are who are not social distancing, sanitizing, or washing their hands. In short, not taking it seriously.

TrojanUSC

I agree with this. I’ve been wrong about more things than I can even remember since this started. I think Disney will open the parks when they feel they can make money, keep their employees and guests safe and they can provide a minimum level of quality in the experience. They won’t feel pressure financially or pressure from park fans to open earlier than those things can be accomplished. FL seems to be relatively closely following the Federal Guidelines laid out and there’s really no practical way to open WDW until phase 3...so we sit and we wait. Hopefully things continue to go well with re-opening things.

I agree that they will likely open as soon as those crieteria are met. I just don't see a path where you start opening many of the things that are slated to open in Phase 2 and there's not a drastic spike. The curve in Florida is stagnant, it hasn't gone down drastically.

Problem is your reasoning and logic is valid. You're aware that masks are not the ultimate protection but still not against wearing it. Most Americans think that wearing masks is a violation of their constitutional rights and it's their body and their choice. People are really stretching it and going that deep. People who complain about masks are probably people are who are not social distancing, sanitizing, or washing their hands. In short, not taking it seriously.

These people continue to fail to realize that the mask is just as much for other people's safety than their own. It's like having car insurance. You have to carry it if you're driving a car - largely because of what you might do to someone else.

Chi84

Premium Member
Your reasoning and logic is very valid. You're aware that masks are not the ultimate protection but still not against wearing it. Most Americans think that wearing masks is a violation of their constitutional rights and it's their body and their choice. People are really stretching it and going that deep. People who complain about masks are probably people are who are not social distancing, sanitizing, or washing their hands. In short, not taking it seriously.
I don’t think it’s most Americans, though. Just some really noisy ones.

easyrowrdw

For cancelled stays (March up until now) they are extending the points into the next use year. So even if you banked 2018 points into 2019 with a March use year and used them for a March stay they are giving owners an extra 6 months to a year to use them. They are also returning borrowed points to the original use year so borrowed 2021 points get out back in the 2021 use year. If the person wants to cancel an August trip right now then the use year and all the rules still apply. It’s only for trips that were forced to be cancelled. It’s still a bad situation.

One DVC member has said points are being returned even outside this period where Disney is closed. She had a December trip using three years of points and Member Services said she would get the same "benefit" as someone whose trip is right now.

BaconPancakes

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

DCBaker

Premium Member
Wine Bar George in DS out with info on how they will handle their reopening -

Team Members:
  • We will continue to be a leader in safe sanitation practices with all team members certified in safe food handling and a certified manager on every shift.
  • We will continue to employ strict kitchen sanitation standards.
  • All team members will pass a health check prior to their shift. Only healthy team members will be allowed in the restaurant.
  • All team members will wash their hands often. Hand sanitizer/hand washing stations will be available to all guests and employees.
Dining Room:
  • All indoor and outdoor seating options will comply with social distancing guidelines.
  • We will clean, disinfect and sanitize common areas and surfaces regularly.
  • We will clean, disinfect and sanitize each dining area after every use.
  • Place settings, tables, chairs, utensils and condiments will be cleaned and sanitized after every use.
Guest Experience:
  • All menus will be contactless. We will use digital menus, guests will view menus with their own personal device.
  • We encourage using our contactless payment options.
  • Guests will be seated to comply with social distancing guidelines.
Wine Bar George Guests:
  • If you have been exposed to COVID-19 recently or have symptoms of COVID-19 please help us keep everyone safe by staying home.
  • We are asking all guests to adhere to recommended social distancing and sanitary guidelines to protect you and our other customers and team members.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree that they will likely open as soon as those crieteria are met. I just don't see a path where you start opening many of the things that are slated to open in Phase 2 and there's not a drastic spike. The curve in Florida is stagnant, it hasn't gone down drastically.
I’m thinking phase 2 sometime in June if all continues well and then go from there. I don't think there’s any way 2 weeks is nearly long enough between phases. Slow and steady wins the race. If phase 3 comes into play sometime in July/Aug that’s probably the timeframe for the parks, but it could be longer if there are setbacks. Disney also doesn’t have to open on day 1 of phase 3. They could decide they want a little more time.

ImperfectPixie

I’m thinking phase 2 sometime in June if all continues well and then go from there. I don't think there’s any way 2 weeks is nearly long enough between phases. Slow and steady wins the race. If phase 3 comes into play sometime in July/Aug that’s probably the timeframe for the parks, but it could be longer if there are setbacks. Disney also doesn’t have to open on day 1 of phase 3. They could decide they want a little more time.
I agree. I think we're in way too much of a hurry to get through the phases. We need to be the tortoise, not the hare.

brianstl

Mask at the parks will have the opposite of the intended impact. The way this virus is transmitted is by droplets. Say you have an asymptomatic individual exhaling into a mask for three hours and then that mask gets wet. Person keeps wearing the wet mask. Every time that individual exhales into that mask the mask is now sending hundreds of droplets throughout the park that wouldn’t have been discharged if he didn’t have moisture covering his mouth and nose.

DisneyDebRob

One DVC member has said points are being returned even outside this period where Disney is closed. She had a December trip using three years of points and Member Services said she would get the same "benefit" as someone whose trip is right now.
I just was talking to member services about a few waitlists that I wanted to put in place. I had booked this Nov-Dec trip this year before any of this started. I asked about the second week of my vacation and she said I could put in a waitlist as long as it didn’t exceed the points already being used. In other words if the resort I was putting in for was even one point over what I used it wouldn’t be allowed because of the 50% rule they have in place now. Even though I was grandfathered in I still would have to abide by that rule. So now if my waitlist does come through, I will have points coming back to me and can be put into the use year of those points. Since I borrowed it would go back into my 2021 and not have to be used this year. She also said things may change and if they do I’ll be stuck trying to use the extra points this year if the waitlist comes through. Confusing enough?
My head hurts.

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

I agree. I think we're in way too much of a hurry to get through the phases. We need to be the tortoise, not the hare.

100% Disney has top health experts on this. If they feel like Florida is rushing the phases, they won't succumb to political pressure. It's too big a risk for them. If there's even a small chance of infection throughout the resort, then they won't open.

easyrowrdw

I just was talking to member services about a few waitlists that I wanted to put in place. I had booked this Nov-Dec trip this year before any of this started. I asked about the second week of my vacation and she said I could put in a waitlist as long as it didn’t exceed the outs already being used. In other words if the resort I was putting in for was even one point over what I used it wouldn’t be allowed because of the 50% rule they have in place now. Even though I was grandfathered in I still would have to abide by that rule. So now if my waitlist does come through, I will have points coming back to me and can be put into the use year of those points. Since I borrowed it would go back into my 2021 and not have to be used this year. She also said things may change and if they do I’ll be stuck trying to use the extra points this year if the waitlist comes through. Confusing enough?

😵

BaconPancakes

100% Disney has top health experts on this. If they feel like Florida is rushing the phases, they won't succumb to political pressure. It's too big a risk for them. If there's even a small chance of infection throughout the resort, then they won't open.
So many people here think just because the state of Florida says things should reopen that Disney will follow blindly. Not gonna happen...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Seems like they are working closely together.
Disney has a lot of the power there. Unless the state comes to the table with some incentives Disney can call their own shot. Not saying they won’t work with them on logistics and planning but Disney wants to keep control of their own parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom