Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I don't. If the parks open by July 10th, I don't.
Fair enough. I haven't read every page of this thread. If there were people attacking others (such as yourself) for claiming the parks wouldn't be open in April or May, that is just sad. Anybody who is so desperate to have their WDW vacation in the last two months need to have their head examined.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In Florida, they publish the last two weeks in the daily report on this page: https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/

In the Florida daily report linked above, they break out the percent positive of new cases. The overall rate is somewhat informative but includes retests of prior positives. The new case percentage helps determine the prevalence because it does include the people (which I don't really understand) that get a test for the heck of it. It also includes the most likely to test positive (symptomatic patients and their contacts). Dr. Birx seems to put a lot of importance on the positive rate when looking at the disease prevalence.

While it would be interesting to do random sample testing, in most places the disease prevalence of active cases is so low that I doubt you can get any statistically meaningful result unless there are really a huge number of asymptomatic cases. Using numbers from Montana (a state that actually shows the data), yesterday only 10% of their total cases were still active cases. If you apply a similar percentage to Florida (which doesn't publish that number), there would be less than 4000 active cases. That would be 0.02% of the population. Even if there are really 10 times the cases including asymptomatic cases, it's still only 0.2%. You would need a very large sample size to be able to conclude that low of a percentage being infected.

At least with the antibody testing, there will be a much larger percentage that were previously infected so you can draw conclusions from a reasonable sample size.
I do wonder how they handle people who are tested multiple times. I know a guy who lived with someone who tested positive so he got tested and was negative but his work made him quarantine for 14 days and then wanted him to test before he came back. So he was tested twice (both negative). Does he count as 1 negative test or 2? Same with healthcare workers and first responders who may be getting tested more frequently because of risk of exposure. I assume each test is additive as opposed to just counting as 1 person who is negative.

I can’t see why many people would just get randomly tested but maybe if you are going to visit an elderly relative and you want to make sure you aren’t asymptomatic positive.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Fair enough. I haven't read every page of this thread. If there were people attacking others (such as yourself) for claiming the parks wouldn't be open in April or May, that is just sad. Anybody who is so desperate to have their WDW vacation in the last two months need to have their head examined.

I think you made the right choice of not reading every page of this thread. I started the thread but that doesn't mean I should stay as glued to it as I am. Might be healthy to step away every so often.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ha nobody is going to inflict violence from being required to wear a mask and risk being banned for life. Get real...
Tell that to the dead security guard in Michigan. Those people risked life in prison or maybe the death penalty (not sure if Michigan has the death penalty) over a mask rule. There’s video of a woman assaulting a CM over a FP reservation. People get violent for a lot less.

BaconPancakes

Tell that to the poor security guard who was executed over enforcing a Dollar General’s mask policy.
Nobody paying Disney prices is going to risk being ejected and banned for life. Also how are they are going to sneak a gun into the parks? Once again, get real. Masks will indeed be a thing, like it or leave it.

Last edited by a moderator:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I think you made the right choice of not reading every page of this thread. I started the thread but that doesn't mean I should stay as glued to it as I am. Might be healthy to step away every so often.
Stepping away from anything can be healthy. My wife steps away from me occasionally, lest she decides to smack in the head with a skillet pan as I sleep. I'm sure she's thought about it after twenty years of being together, lol.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Nobody paying Disney prices is going to risk being ejected and banned for life. Also how are they are going to sneak a gun into the parks? Once again, get real. Masks will indeed be a thing, like it or leave it.
Violence over a FP:

I said violence not a shooting. It’s still bad PR to have security dragging a person away over a mask rule.

Last edited by a moderator:

ImperfectPixie

Stepping away from anything can be healthy. My wife steps away from me occasionally, lest she decides to smack in the head with a skillet pan as I sleep. I'm sure she's thought about it after twenty years of being together, lol.
Apparently I get a certain look about me when I'm almost at the cast-iron frying pan grabbing point...haven't gotten there yet, fortunately.

Lora Baines Bradley

ImperfectPixie

Polynesia

I do wonder how they handle people who are tested multiple times. I know a guy who lived with someone who tested positive so he got tested and was negative but his work made him quarantine for 14 days and then wanted him to test before he came back. So he was tested twice (both negative). Does he count as 1 negative test or 2? Same with healthcare workers and first responders who may be getting tested more frequently because of risk of exposure. I assume each test is additive as opposed to just counting as 1 person who is negative.

I can’t see why many people would just get randomly tested but maybe if you are going to visit an elderly relative and you want to make sure you aren’t asymptomatic positive.
The Orange County mayor gives that number separate. Ex: He’ll say 15 tests came back positive and out of those 5 were retests from having covid. It sounds like it’s included in the daily number. It must be tracked somehow though since they make a point of breaking it out at the briefings. Sorry I don't know for sure

robhedin

There's a difference between masks being required at Disney Springs and in the parks. Generally speaking Disney Springs is not an "all day" largely being out in the heat with no air-conditioning like the parks are. Disney Springs is much closer to a mall and has a lot of third parties running things

Don't get me wrong- It's not unlikely that they'll require masks in the parks, but this isn't calling that out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom