Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney Analyst

I think a small minority will protest/get upset/become combative. I assume Disney will have a zero tolerance policy and just tell that minority group to wear a mask or go home. The optics and PR around masks is on Disney's side, so they don't have to take crap from anyone. And honestly the majority support it. I also assume they'd implement an age requirement, so the really young may not be forced to wear them, but we will see.

I'm not worried.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I was obviously responding to the Dollar Tree shooting, don’t be obtuse...
You said this:
Ha nobody is going to inflict violence from being required to wear a mask and risk being banned for life. Get real...
That has nothing to do with the dollar tree shooting. Someone resisting the rule and forcing security to drag them from the park or someone physically hitting a CM are both forms of violence. It doesn’t have to be something as dramatic as a shooting to be bad PR.

MickeyLuv'r

Could I wear a universal mask or will that be frowned upon? And how can you tell it is frowned upon if everyone is wearing a mask?

One of the late night shows was running a funny bit along those lines. They show a newscaster or someone reporting news while wearing a mask, but sub in a completely different conversation.

Normally, I'm not too big on that type of humor, but these days, humor is a little hard to find.

For some reason, I'm suddenly picturing all the WDW animatronics with masks. Mind, I'm not saying that would happen, but a little bit, it would be funny to see on some rides.

DisneyCane

I do wonder how they handle people who are tested multiple times. I know a guy who lived with someone who tested positive so he got tested and was negative but his work made him quarantine for 14 days and then wanted him to test before he came back. So he was tested twice (both negative). Does he count as 1 negative test or 2? Same with healthcare workers and first responders who may be getting tested more frequently because of risk of exposure. I assume each test is additive as opposed to just counting as 1 person who is negative.
As far as I can tell, in Florida, he would count as two negatives if they were done on different days.

Polynesia

I think a small minority will protest/get upset/become combative. I assume Disney will have a zero tolerance policy and just tell that minority group to wear a mask or go home. The optics and PR around masks is on Disney's side, so they don't have to take crap from anyone. And honestly the majority support it. I also assume they'd implement an age requirement, so the really young may not be forced to wear them, but we will see.

I'm not worried.
The last few times I was at Disney Springs there was an Orange County Sheriff at the bottom of the escalator I took from the parking garage. (Usually with a sniff dog). Perhaps their presence throughout the property will set the tone to follow the rules.

Miss Bella

That’s why states look at the positivity rate. The number of tests vary each day. Orange County will give both numbers when they do an update at their briefings. I find that very helpful to see if the percentage of positive tests is going up. So far it’s been decreasing. But we need to watch this carefully in the coming weeks with more people out of their homes.
Have they started antibody testing.

BaconPancakes

I'm not worried.
Absolutely correct. The bad press if they don’t require masks will be much worse.

Patcheslee

Tell that to the poor security guard who was executed over enforcing a Dollar General’s mask policy. At Walt Disney World people get into altercations over FastPass+, enough so that it has impacted queue design.
McDonald's employees were shot for tell a woman the dining area was closed and had to leave. I'd put nothing past the 1% of individuals at this point.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Have they started antibody testing.

"At the press conference Wednesday, DeSantis also elaborated on opening up antibody testing lanes at the drive-thru testing sites for healthcare workers and first responders. The serological tests could reveal whether a person has the antibodies to fight off COVID-19.

The antibody tests are now available at the Hard Rock Stadium site and will soon be available at other testing sites, like the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando and TIAA Bank Field in Jacksonville."

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I'm not worried.
I hope you are right and if they make the decision to have masks everyone will just comply or go home if they don’t want to. It will also probably help to keep the crowds down if masks are required. I’m not sure I agree that the optics would be on Disney’s side. I happen to agree that they should be, but I was saddened to see that isn’t the case. When I posted the story in this thread about the guy who was removed from a Septa Bus by Philly cops for violating the SEPTA’s mask policy it was easily 3 to 1 people here siding with the guy removed. Public outcry was so overwhelming that SEPTA had to reverse the rule. Masks became recommended.

I hope this doesn’t happen, but if a family is restrained and physically removed from a Disney park because one of the family members wouldn’t wear a mask it’s going to go viral. Imagine kids crying, begging them to let their mommy go or daddy go and you know there will be some backstory about how the woman had asthma or some other ailment and couldn’t breathe right so that’s why she took her mask off. The public will turn on Disney in a heartbeat. It’s easy to say zero tolerance and if you don’t follow go home but difficult in practice to enforce if the person resists.

Patcheslee

Could I wear a universal mask or will that be frowned upon? And how can you tell it is frowned upon if everyone is wearing a mask?
A toolmaker and I at work were talking about how mask designs would be popular soon. I asked if he could make one that has one of those voice altering boxes in it so people can hear me and I can get a laugh. We were joking around, but I kinda want to make one now. :happy:

lazyboy97o

The only people who will try to make this a big deal are the ones who are making the mask thing a political movement. Let's just ignore them and let them all fade into obscurity. Let's ignore anyone with this crazy conspiracy theory fake virus 5G bad agenda. They are all not worth our time.
Disney can’t just ignore people who may be a threat to the safety of their employees.

BaconPancakes

Disney can’t just ignore people who may be a threat to the safety of their employees.
Yes Disney should just cave to the people threatening violence. They won’t ignore anything, anyone who enacts or threatens violence will be ejected and banned. They have security everywhere.

BaconPancakes

What’s going to be worse press? A video of someone being ejected from the parks for being an entitled snowflake or stories published about hundreds of visitors contracting the virus because they opened without a mask policy? Disney isn’t stupid and will use the most extreme measures to protect guests which will equal masks required.

Lilofan

The last few times I was at Disney Springs there was an Orange County Sheriff at the bottom of the escalator I took from the parking garage. (Usually with a sniff dog). Perhaps their presence throughout the property will set the tone to follow the rules.
Those sniff dogs are not for show. They clearly are working to sniff out the bad guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom