Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
"The limited construction marks the first step toward ramping up work at the Disneyland resort as Disney prepares for the eventual reopening of its Anaheim theme parks.

The skeleton crews will be weather protecting the Avengers Campus project at Disney California Adventure and receiving steel deliveries for the Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway dark ride at Disneyland. The work crews at the Anaheim parks will include some Disneyland employees, Walt Disney Imagineering staffers and third-party contractors."

Well that makes sense. You don't want porch thieves stealing your steel orders dropped off at the MK gate.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Since they announced Singapore Disney opening roughly a week before, does tell us anything about how much notice we can expect for WDW?
I think we will find out when it’s getting close before an official announcement. CMs will need to be called back to start the physical prep of the parks and resorts plus any training they will need for new procedures. This also happened in Shanghai. I think based on earlier discussions in this thread at least some CMs will likely be called back 2 to 4 weeks before the park opens. If that doesn’t happen in the next week or so then that casts a real doubt on June 1 as the date.

Polynesia

Since they announced Singapore Disney opening roughly a week before, does tell us anything about how much notice we can expect for WDW?
Shanghai has been preparing for roughly two to three weeks (visible preparations). As of today it’s been pretty quiet at WDW. June 1 doesn’t look like the reopening date. I know Disney is keeping things quiet but some cast members would have heard to be prepared to come in if it was imminent. With so much back and forth on case numbers decreasing or increasing I wonder if Disney will wait to see how this plays out. Hong Kong is probably next to open as they’re marking their queues a week or so ago. Japan May be next before US parks and Paris. No one really knows

Kevin_W

Not unexpected, but hours for the parks has just been removed through May 30th.

My FP+ selections for 5/24 are still showing in MDE. I keep waiting for them (and my resort stay) to be cancelled so I can figure out what to do about the $$ I paid for the resort (rented DVC points).

trainplane3

My FP+ selections for 5/24 are still showing in MDE. I keep waiting for them (and my resort stay) to be cancelled so I can figure out what to do about the $$ I paid for the resort (rented DVC points).
My FP stuff stayed till about a week before and then the trip was removed the day of my original arrival.

TrojanUSC

Shanghai has been preparing for roughly two to three weeks (visible preparations). As of today it’s been pretty quiet at WDW. June 1 doesn’t look like the reopening date. I know Disney is keeping things quiet but some cast members would have heard to be prepared to come in if it was imminent. With so much back and forth on case numbers decreasing or increasing I wonder if Disney will wait to see how this plays out. Hong Kong is probably next to open as they’re marking their queues a week or so ago. Japan May be next before US parks and Paris. No one really knows

I just think there is no chance Disney is going to call anyone back into work before they know whether there's a handle on the virus in the US or not. Imagine the press if they called a couple thousand people back and there was an outbreak?

There seems to be this narrative that we've flattened the curve, or that things are trending down, when in reality that isn't the case. Here's a good graph from today (via Johns Hopkins) which shows where the US, removing NYC, is compared to other countries...

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 11.47.25 AM.png

Last edited:

Miss Bella

Just curious... do you keep the same mask on for 13 hours? I have seen talk of how masks lose their effectiveness after a certain period of time. Wondering how a vacationer at Disney might handle a mask recommendation or requirement if they need to be changed regularly to be effective.
I change it frequently. I’m not a fan of cloth masks. I would take several or you going to have to wash it every day. I’ve also got sores behind my ears and my face gets a rash. I cant imagine the skin irritation in the heat and humidity. No thanks.

Miss Bella

I just think there is no chance Disney is going to call anyone back into work before they know whether there's a handle on the virus in the US or not. Imagine the press if they called a couple thousand people back and there was an outbreak?

There seems to be this narrative that we've flattened the curve, or that things are trending down, when in reality that isn't the case. Here's a good graph from today (via Johns Hopkins) which shows where the US, removing NYC, is compared to other countries...

View attachment 469043
Is this cases or hospital admissions? We have increased testing.

RaveOnEd

Is this cases or hospital admissions? We have increased testing.
The Johns Hopkins measurements have been chopped up, disseminated, regurgitated and skewed by just about anyone who wants to see it how they want to see it.

This graph doesn't say if it's confirmed cases, hospitalized cases, asymptomatic cases, nothing clear.

I've seen other Johns Hopkins ones that show things stabilizing, so it all depends on who's working with the data.

Peter Pan's Shadow

View attachment 469043
Is this impacted at all by how much we've ramped up testing since mid March? And what's the percentage of these positive cases that require critical care? My understanding is that a very low percentage requires critical care, but am open to new info. Critical patients are really what should drive our actions. And of those which did not have a pre-existing condition (which isn't something we can change and should account for I think). What I'm hearing from the Dr's in my area is that almost zero people without a comorbidity end up critical. Unfortunately obesity is the number 1 and we have a fat country. Not looking to argue anything, just think there's more info to process than a graph that shows the single most negative aspect of things.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

View attachment 469043
I tend to use this graph from NPR which shows it a bit better to scale and not as dramatic

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Do we actually have anywhere that shows us number of people tested per day? The assumption is that the increase in new cases is due to a ramp up in testing, but I’ve also been hearing that for a week or 2 now. At some point the number of people tested has to level off and then new cases becomes more relevant again.

TrojanUSC

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Do we actually have anywhere that shows us number of people tested per day? The assumption is that the increase in new cases is due to a ramp up in testing, but I’ve also been hearing that for a week or 2 now. At some point the number of people tested has to level off and then new cases becomes more relevant again.
This is what I look at as far as testing numbers. You have to first click on the US first, then there will be a button to click with testing numbers.

Polynesia

That’s why states look at the positivity rate. The number of tests vary each day. Orange County will give both numbers when they do an update at their briefings. I find that very helpful to see if the percentage of positive tests is going up. So far it’s been decreasing. But we need to watch this carefully in the coming weeks with more people out of their homes.

ToTBellHop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom