Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyDebRob

Yeah, spreading misinformation isn’t really speculation. Testing is up, so confirmed cases are up. What’s the positive %? That’s a more important number. Hospital usage? ICU usage? These are the important numbers. Gross confirmed tests as a metric to measure which way we are trending is, again, utter nonsense.
Zero misinformation at all. Maybe lacking in numbers you want to see. Google for more info. When your in that part of the world that you and some others are, no info is good enough.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That’s what concerns me. People coming from other states that may still have some issues. I think this is what will push Disney to take a step back a bit before reopening.
I know not everyone believes this but I think Disney actually cares about their CMs too. They don’t want to put 10s of thousands of workers in harm’s way. There are liability and PR issues as well, but I believe they have a heart.

DCBaker

Premium Member
New York State DOH says as of yesterday, there are 64 suspected cases of “Pediatric Multi-System Inflammatory Syndrome Potentially Associated with COVID-19.”

Story earlier today from the NYT -

Jrb1979

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah, spreading misinformation isn’t really speculation. Testing is up, so confirmed cases are up. What’s the positive %? That’s a more important number. Hospital usage? ICU usage? These are the important numbers. Gross confirmed tests as a metric to measure which way we are trending is, again, utter nonsense.
Number who tested positive needs to be looked at together with positive percentage. Neither stat alone tells the whole story. If your number of cases is increasing that could mean more infection or it could mean more testing is being done or a combo of both. If your percent positive is decreasing that could mean more testing is being done so more healthy people are being allowed to be tested or it could mean less overall infection. In general the more you ramp up testing the more positives you should get but you will also get more negatives. If we went back to March when overall positive tests were increasing and testing was scarce the positive test rate was really, really high. That was partially because only the obviously sick could be tested. Once we stabilize nationally with anyone who wants to be tested can get a test then the total number of cases alone can be used as a measure of spread. Hospitalized and dead don’t have the testing component so their trend is statistically relevant.

Kevin_W

More parks are releasing info on how the measures they are implementing when they do open. Yet Disney says nothing about what they are going to do. What I don't get is why a lot of Disney fans dismiss what other parks are planning?

Disney did say this just yesterday: https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/walt...releases-statement-on-reopening-the-parks.htm

And Shanghai's approach sounds a lot like what Six Flags and Cedar Fair have said (probably not coincidentally).

Parker in NYC

Original Poster

More parks are releasing info on how the measures they are implementing when they do open. Yet Disney says nothing about what they are going to do. What I don't get is why a lot of Disney fans dismiss what other parks are planning?

I think Disney decided to let Shanghai be the canary in the coal mine. Otherwise, they’re going to let everyone else do their little song and dance first before making any decisions about addressing the public.

Phil12

Number who tested positive needs to be looked at together with positive percentage. Neither stat alone tells the whole story. If your number of cases is increasing that could mean more infection or it could mean more testing is being done or a combo of both. If your percent positive is decreasing that could mean more testing is being done so more healthy people are being allowed to be tested or it could mean less overall infection. In general the more you ramp up testing the more positives you should get but you will also get more negatives. If we went back to March when overall positive tests were increasing and testing was scarce the positive test rate was really, really high. That was partially because only the obviously sick could be tested. Once we stabilize nationally with anyone who wants to be tested can get a test then the total number of cases alone can be used as a measure of spread. Hospitalized and dead don’t have the testing component so their trend is statistically relevant.
I live in Florida and I can tell you that the obituary page in the local paper has grown much larger than I have ever seen it before (and I have been a subscriber to that paper for over thirty five years). People are dying rapidly. It has turned from the obituary page to the obituary pages.

DisneyDebRob

I live in Florida and I can tell you that the obituary page in the local paper has grown much larger than I have ever seen it before (and I have been a subscriber to that paper for over thirty five years). People are dying rapidly.
Reminds me of the newscast I saw last night. Imperfectpixie would be able to tell us because she’s from Massachusetts I believe. They had said the obituary was 22 pages and it has been that way for awhile.

Lilofan

I live in Florida and I can tell you that the obituary page in the local paper has grown much larger than I have ever seen it before (and I have been a subscriber to that paper for over thirty five years). People are dying rapidly. It has turned form the obituary page to the obituary pages.
And some families who choose not to make their obituary public knowledge do not, so figures are not always accurate and there is still a funeral and burial.

Lilofan

All the water fountains in my area have been turned off during Covid19 times. If the theme parks turn off their many water fountains, we will be very sad. Many of times we stand in line with other guests to fill our empty water bottles with water throughout the day. Yes, WDW gives out free water for now, but there are times longer lines inside the dining location.

ImperfectPixie

Reminds me of the newscast I saw last night. Imperfectpixie would be able to tell us because she’s from Massachusetts I believe. They had said the obituary was 22 pages and it has been that way for awhile.
Unfortunately, I don't buy newspapers...I read the news online. We are seeing a decline in deaths per day, but they're still horribly high.

DisneyDebRob

Unfortunately, I don't buy newspapers...I read the news online. We are seeing a decline in deaths per day, but they're still horribly high.

I wish more states had the full charts like that. Answers most questions someone would have. Most of the ones I’ve seen have had half the amount.

Lilofan

I think Disney decided to let Shanghai be the canary in the coal mine. Otherwise, they’re going to let everyone else do their little song and dance first before making any decisions about addressing the public.
That's for sure. Start with the China park opening first, however since TWDC park is about a 50/50 partnership with a country that hasn't been so positive lately, will the Truth be known and told??

MickeyLuv'r

Yes, WDW gives out free water for now, but there are times longer lines inside the dining location.

It used to be that if one wanted cups of water at the WDW QS, one had to wait in line.
I have also seen QS locations put cups of water out on the counter for anyone to take.

When WDW re-opens, and if the water fountains are closed. They might not do either of the above.

Maybe the QS locations will have a designated water cup area. Or maybe WDW will add something vaguely similar to Universal's butterbeer stands, except they offer water?

I've also seen a number of hotel lobbies offer free water, including the Universal hotels. WDW hotels have offered free towels on rainy days before. Maybe the WDW will offer more water that way. When you check into a WDW hotel, everyone in your party gets some water.

It is possible WDW will offer bottled water at lower prices than before. Maybe they will offer less premium water at a low price, and more premium water at higher prices?

JohnD

It used to be that if one wanted cups of water at the WDW QS, one had to wait in line.
I have also seen QS locations put cups of water out on the counter for anyone to take.

When WDW re-opens, and if the water fountains are closed. They might not do either of the above.

Maybe the QS locations will have a designated water cup area. Or maybe WDW will add something vaguely similar to Universal's butterbeer stands, except they offer water?

I've also seen a number of hotel lobbies offer free water, including the Universal hotels. WDW hotels have offered free towels on rainy days before. Maybe the WDW will offer more water that way. When you check into a WDW hotel, everyone in your party gets some water.

It is possible WDW will offer bottled water at lower prices than before. Maybe they will offer less premium water at a low price, and more premium water at higher prices?

I don't recall any discussion about getting the virus from water fountains. It's all about social distancting. I mean if we're driven by that kind of fear, water fountains would have been ripped out long ago because of cold, flu, stomach virus, etc., etc., etc.

Lilofan

I don't recall any discussion about getting the virus from water fountains. It's all about social distancting. I mean if we're driven by that kind of fear, water fountains would have been ripped out long ago because of cold, flu, stomach virus, etc., etc., etc.
Don't know if any discussion but a water fountain is a germ filled machine. Chances of it being cleaned and disinfected after every guest use, I don't see as realistic. If one sneezes or spits into the fountain that is covid positive , then the next person gets a shot filed with water into their mouths and or facial area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom