Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polynesia

Retiring at the right time before new post Corona policies and procedures start happening at DHS.
He’s been with the company for 49 years. I congratulate him on his retirement. He’s obviously retirement age. Hope he enjoys his time as retiree 🙂. He certainly deserves it.

DisneyCane

I wonder why they’re charging and not covered under the Cares Act.
That's a great question.
To be sure I'd have to read the act. My guess is that the act covers diagnostic testing and the anybody tests are not diagnostic. The free tests are so you know if you are infected and contagious. The antibody test, if accurate, is mostly useful for peace of mind and statistical analysis at this point.

I looked up the text this morning and it appears my guess was correct. From the text of the Cares Act:

18 Subpart A—Coverage of Testing and Preventive

19 Services

20 SEC. 3201. COVERAGE OF DIAGNOSTIC TESTING FOR

21 COVID-19.

22 Paragraph (1) of section 6001(a) of division F of the

23 Families First Coronavirus Response Act (Public Law

24 116–127) is amended to read as follows:

1 ‘‘(1) An in vitro diagnostic test defined in sec

2 tion 809.3 of title 21, Code of Federal Regulations

3 (or successor regulations) for the detection of

4 SARS–CoV–2 or the diagnosis of the virus that

5 causes COVID–19, and the administration of such a

6 test, that—

DKampy

And when you exclude NY -- which at one time, the Open Now movement wanted to do so that its large numbers stop making the whole of the U.S. look bad -- the rest of the country's cases are still climbing.

What people are forgetting to take in account is the increased testing in other states. I know in my state they were only testing the sickest of the sickest...now as they have dramatically ramped up testing they are for the most part testing anyone who wants one....it is said you need symptoms but it can as minor as you can get....including just saying your feeling feverish even if you don't have a fever or just having a cough in allergy season. Our new cases were declining but with the ramped up testing increased again. Because of that they are now looking at a 14 day percent decrease of positive cases instead of the amount of new cases. Which feels like we are seeing now. It's tough to check other states as deeply as I can check my own, but I have heard some similar increased testing stories as well. Our hospitilizations have been steadily decreasing quite a bit as well. I am guessing the actual infection rates has lowered.

Kevin_W

I looked up the text this morning and it appears my guess was correct. From the text of the Cares Act:

18 Subpart A—Coverage of Testing and Preventive

19 Services

20 SEC. 3201. COVERAGE OF DIAGNOSTIC TESTING FOR

21 COVID-19.

22 Paragraph (1) of section 6001(a) of division F of the

23 Families First Coronavirus Response Act (Public Law

24 116–127) is amended to read as follows:

1 ‘‘(1) An in vitro diagnostic test defined in sec

2 tion 809.3 of title 21, Code of Federal Regulations

3 (or successor regulations) for the detection of

4 SARS–CoV–2 or the diagnosis of the virus that

5 causes COVID–19, and the administration of such a

6 test, that—

Right. From what I read, the Labcorp test is free but has to be ordered by a doctor. The Quest test you can pay $119 for out of pocket just to satisfy your curiosity (and contribute to overall statistical data pool).

Many places caution that you can't really do anything with your individual data (and some then say you shouldn't get the data, which I think is ludicrous). Quest is mostly using the Abbot test which has a very high reported accuracy so it could be interesting to find out.

Lilofan

I going to miss Costco.
Their return policy is amazing: I returned just shy $3,700 worth of items last Sat.

Time for Sam's.
Current Corona world is that a number of stores in my area don't even want you to bring your recycle bags into the stores and or not accepting any returns. WDW had a good return merchandise return policy. I would expect that WDW lenient return/exchange policy to change in the current and post Corona world.

Lilofan

I’d be more worried about co-workers. Osceola County requires masks so there’s little chance it spread to its customers. There’s plexi glass at registers also. Hopefully they test their employees.
I would be concerned to, even though I've seen supermarket workers in my area at times wear the masks below their nose while working.

Polynesia

What people are forgetting to take in account is the increased testing in other states. I know in my state they were only testing the sickest of the sickest...now as they have dramatically ramped up testing they are for the most part testing anyone who wants one....it is said you need symptoms but it can as minor as you can get....including just saying your feeling feverish even if you don't have a fever or just having a cough in allergy season. Our new cases were declining but with the ramped up testing increased again. Because of that they are now looking at a 14 day percent decrease of positive cases instead of the amount of new cases. Which feels like we are seeing now. It's tough to check other states as deeply as I can check my own, but I have heard some similar increased testing stories as well. Our hospitilizations have been steadily decreasing quite a bit as well. I am guessing the actual infection rates has lowered.
I heard that Wisconsin is now allowing elective surgeries. My husband mentioned the hospital he’s at is more busy but not due to Covid. That’s all a good sign. In Florida we are also seeing more positive cases due to more testing. But as you say the positivity rate is declining. I asked my doctor yesterday what she’s seeing. She said things are getting much better with less hospitalizations and less ICU admissions here in Florida. Hopefully this trend continues as we slowly reopen

Polynesia

I would be concerned to, even though I've seen supermarket workers in my area at times wear the masks below their nose while working.
That’s not good. We were out yesterday in a neighboring county and stopped for gas. Hardly anyone had a mask on. I’m not talking about at the pumps but inside the building where they had a couple of food vendors. People were gathered outside talking without a mask, also. It appears some areas are taking this more serious than others.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
That’s not good. We were out yesterday in a neighboring county and stopped for gas. Hardly anyone had a mask on. I’m not talking about at the pumps but inside the building where they had a couple of food vendors. People were gathered outside talking without a mask, also. It appears some areas are taking this more serious than others.
It depends on what advice you heed. Our public health director has said she won't issue a "mask up" directive as she is not confident enough that it would be properly done by the general public.
We are now at a very low number of active cases and no new ones for 5 days.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Disney has announced that the work on Disney’s Hotel New York – The Art of Marvel at Disneyland Paris has been delayed and it will miss the originally planned opening date of June 15, 2020. As a result, Disney has begun to offer refunds or vouchers for reservations made for dates through October 31st. Here are the details:

During this unprecedented situation and in line with government measures, the construction for Disney’s Hotel New York – The Art of Marvel was temporarily put on hold which is impacting our timeline for the hotel’s originally scheduled opening (15 June 2020). While we do not have a new opening date to announce right now, we hope to be able to share more information, once we can resume our construction work, and assess when we will be ready to open the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you soon at Disney’s Hotel New York – The Art of Marvel."

corsairk09

Unemployment is a deadly crisis in its own right, as higher unemployment has always had a correlative increase with mortality, mental hospital admissions, and imprisonments. While about 70,000 have died in the US because of coronavirus, unemployment has skyrocketed from 3-4% to 15-16%, a roughly 4-5 fold increase. This will have everlasting negative financial implications for a country where only 23% of adults have emergency savings to cover six months' worth of expenses. While some people want to reopen for stupid reasons, including the must-see trip to WDW, dismissing the legitimate economic hardships faced by millions is ridiculous. I am definitely not advocating for an unregulated opening effective immediately as some states have proposed, but an indefinite extension of the current state of affairs in other states is absurd as well.

A number of articles/studies from before this crisis:

My husband and I kept our jobs (work for the school district) for which I am incredibly grateful. The rest of my family wasn't so lucky. I just want the people I care about (and everyone else for that matter) to be able to work, stop having to choose between bills and food, and yes...... I promised my girls a trip to Disney in March. We were packing when WDW closed. My three year old just wants to do the hot dog dance with Mickey Mouse, and I want to see her do it. I don't believe that it's disrespectful to others or uncaring to want these things.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree it shouldn’t matter where anyone shops. I think the entitlement some are referring to is the sense that’s it’s about me and not we. As in I won’t where this because I don’t want to, instead of I’ll wear this here because I don’t wanna spread the disease. The real question is are people gonna boycott Disney parks when they have to wear a mask? Doubtful, they’ll probably just wear one to get in and then take it right off, I feel sorry for the cm’s they’re gonna have to deal with some serious guest rage
They won’t require masks at the domestic parks. Disney has a brand and an image to maintain. They want people to think positively on a Disney vacation. There’s no way they want to be put in a situation where they need to police a mask rule. Aside from the person they are restraining or removing from the parks there are children and other guests that will witness that. Not very magical. IMHO if masks are required by the state or local government during a certain phase the Disney parks in the US won’t open during that phase. This is why I’ve been saying for a while they will open during the federal equivalent of phase 3 when social distancing is relaxed. Probably not going to be June 1 also unlikely to be in 2021.

DisneyDoctor

I heard that Wisconsin is now allowing elective surgeries. My husband mentioned the hospital he’s at is more busy but not due to Covid. That’s all a good sign. In Florida we are also seeing more positive cases due to more testing. But as you say the positivity rate is declining. I asked my doctor yesterday what she’s seeing. She said things are getting much better with less hospitalizations and less ICU admissions here in Florida. Hopefully this trend continues as we slowly reopen
Iowa has also started to perform elective surgeries. I'm not sure I'd want to undergo a procedure at the COVID hotbed in the state of Iowa (U of Iowa).

robhedin

They won’t require masks at the domestic parks. Disney has a brand and an image to maintain. They want people to think positively on a Disney vacation. There’s no way they want to be put in a situation where they need to police a mask rule. Aside from the person they are restraining or removing from the parks there are children and other guests that will witness that. Not very magical. IMHO if masks are required by the state or local government during a certain phase the Disney parks in the US won’t open during that phase. This is why I’ve been saying for a while they will open during the federal equivalent of phase 3 when social distancing is relaxed. Probably not going to be June 1 also unlikely to be in 2021.
I think the kicker is if it's a government mandate or a recommendation. At the moment, at the federal level it's a recommendation. Some localities have a mandate.

I suspect that Disney will want to open as soon as they feel they can, subject to government regulations. I don't see them holding "just" because masks are required. But then, I don't the government requiring masks everywhere (at least not based on today's sentiments -- if everything goes south with states reopening, then all bets are off)

Miss Bella

I agree it shouldn’t matter where anyone shops. I think the entitlement some are referring to is the sense that’s it’s about me and not we. As in I won’t where this because I don’t want to, instead of I’ll wear this here because I don’t wanna spread the disease. The real question is are people gonna boycott Disney parks when they have to wear a mask? Doubtful, they’ll probably just wear one to get in and then take it right off, I feel sorry for the cm’s they’re gonna have to deal with some serious guest rage
I will not go to Disney if I have to wear a mask. I wear a mask for 13 hours at work. I'm not going on vacation and wearing a mask. I don't think Disney will require masks, but if they do I hope they provide them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom