Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainsOfDisney

I think most of the people screaming for the country to open are small business owners and people that are out of work. You do realize 30 million people just lost their jobs. I know a few people that are financially ruined by this, and many others that are worried about being laid off in the future.

How’s the rest of the world coping with that predicament?

I’m personally content staying on unemployment (which thankfully has worked for me in my state!) until it’s safe to return to work.

DisneyDebRob

I'm late to the party but people are now boycotting Costco for requiring everyone to wear masks. The entitlement of these people.

It’s funny how people think boycotting stores work. They don’t hurt revenues or income. It’s a talking point for people to feel they are doing something. It can hurt the name of the company for a short period but never lasts.
Anyone here remember the boycott of Disney in the 90’s by the southern baptists?

Kevin_W

Umm... yes. Fear of death. In the U.S., about 80,000 so far. And when you exclude NY -- which at one time, the Open Now movement wanted to do so that its large numbers stop making the whole of the U.S. look bad -- the rest of the country's cases are still climbing. That's something worth fearing.

A minor point of contention, Mr. Penguin. Depending what you mean - the number of cases are climbing everywhere in the country (except perhaps the Hawaiian island of Kauai, which hasn't had a case in about a month). But the rate of rise (which I think you mean) is declining in nearly every state.

ImperfectPixie

A minor point of contention, Mr. Penguin. Depending what you mean - the number of cases are climbing everywhere in the country (except perhaps the Hawaiian island of Kauai, which hasn't had a case in about a month). But the rate of rise (which I think you mean) is declining in nearly every state.
Because things have been closed down. We won't see a spike from re-opening until 2-3 weeks from when states re-open.

Clamman73

That's neat. But looks like the nearest CityMD is ~10 hours away from me by car. :)

I'm tempted to do the Quest Diagnostics test. I'd only have to drive ~30 minutes and it costs $119. I'm not sure I want to spend $119 on information that might not be accurate (I'm not sure which test they are using) and is certainly not actionable. but on the other hand it's not a huge sum of money and it would be interesting to know.
I wonder why they’re charging and not covered under the Cares Act.

DisneyCane

Seems like a very sensible solution -- hotels can get some income, core staff stay employed, rooms are kept active (cleaned, air conditioned, plumbing doesn't develop airlocks etc) and infections are reduced because positive homeless are isolated and not on the streets. I'm sure deep cleaning will take place as rooms are vacated. I hope that as well as being accommodated, other services are being made available to the homeless people, including medical and mental health support as necessary.
I would certainly hope that if the rooms are being used for COVID positive people that the regular core hotel staff isn't cleaning rooms.

StarWarsGirl

I'm getting the antibody test this week. I got a doctor's order through my primary care doctor and am getting it at Labcorp. I was in WDW in February and came home sick. The weird thing about it was that it took forever for symptoms to show up. My mom was sick while we were down there and running a fever of well over 101 and she had a horrible cough. I started with the cough and thought, "Oh, maybe that's all I'll end up with" but then I came home and started getting sick. I never got quite as sick as she did; as soon as I started getting the respiratory symptoms, I started nebulizer treatments and went on oral steroids. I ended up with bronchitis, ended up on an antibiotic, and the cough hung on for a good month.

I will feel terrible if I did have it and spread it, but if I come back positive, there's no way we could have known back then that it was even a possibility. Of course, there's every chance it wasn't Covid either.

I think it has to be ordered by a doctor to be covered. If you just ask for it yourself, it probably won't be covered. I'll check after I get mine done.

DisneyCane

That's a great question.
To be sure I'd have to read the act. My guess is that the act covers diagnostic testing and the anybody tests are not diagnostic. The free tests are so you know if you are infected and contagious. The antibody test, if accurate, is mostly useful for peace of mind and statistical analysis at this point.

DisneyCane

I'm getting the antibody test this week. I got a doctor's order through my primary care doctor and am getting it at Labcorp. I was in WDW in February and came home sick. The weird thing about it was that it took forever for symptoms to show up. My mom was sick while we were down there and running a fever of well over 101 and she had a horrible cough. I started with the cough and thought, "Oh, maybe that's all I'll end up with" but then I came home and started getting sick. I never got quite as sick as she did; as soon as I started getting the respiratory symptoms, I started nebulizer treatments and went on oral steroids. I ended up with bronchitis, ended up on an antibiotic, and the cough hung on for a good month.

I will feel terrible if I did have it and spread it, but if I come back positive, there's no way we could have known back then that it was even a possibility. Of course, there's every chance it wasn't Covid either.

I think it has to be ordered by a doctor to be covered. If you just ask for it yourself, it probably won't be covered. I'll check after I get mine done.
If you had it, don't feel bad that you may have spread it. You had no way to know at that time what you might have had. Absolutely not your fault.

Clamman73

I just showed up this morning at a citymd, signed in for the first time ever there with my info, they took my blood, I walked out, results in 3-5 days.

Imagineer45

Yep. They need to get back to work so they can afford their Walt Disney World vacation in June 4 that they got a MMRR FP for. If they bring the Rona home and Grandpa dies, that’s fine. Grandma was annoyed they he wouldn’t stop going to Lowe’s for “the essential door handle replacement” project, anyway.
Unemployment is a deadly crisis in its own right, as higher unemployment has always had a correlative increase with mortality, mental hospital admissions, and imprisonments. While about 70,000 have died in the US because of coronavirus, unemployment has skyrocketed from 3-4% to 15-16%, a roughly 4-5 fold increase. This will have everlasting negative financial implications for a country where only 23% of adults have emergency savings to cover six months' worth of expenses. While some people want to reopen for stupid reasons, including the must-see trip to WDW, dismissing the legitimate economic hardships faced by millions is ridiculous. I am definitely not advocating for an unregulated opening effective immediately as some states have proposed, but an indefinite extension of the current state of affairs in other states is absurd as well.

A number of articles/studies from before this crisis:

Giss Neric

If the government, through our elected officials, makes the rules, we owe an obligation to others in society to comply. If a private business like Costco makes the rules, people are free to avoid shopping there. I would most likely prefer to shop at a store that is making efforts to ensure my safety even if I thought they were going a little too far.
We are free to shop wherever we like. No problem with that. What's annoying is people want to voice out their inconvenience, their stupidity and most of all their rights as an American on social media which most likely will be viral and a big deal even though it's not. They want people to get cancelled cause they don't agree with that person's opinions. They want stores to close cause they don't agree with the company's rules.

Lilofan

Corona virus has hit close to WDW. A Publix supermarket crew member tested positive for the Corona virus recently who works at the Celebration FL store. That person could have infected locals and tourists that vacation or live part time in the Celebration area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom