Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin_W

Shanghai Disney max capacity is 80K per day. Government is capping capacity at 30% but they expect to keep an even lower percent when first open.

It would be quite interesting to be in a park with only 30% capacity. I realize not everything will be running, but it might actually be a fun experience.

Communicora

Premium Member
@mollay on instagram did a Q&A on life in Shanghai that might give you helpful context about their park opening on May 11. One thing she noted is that the situation there was never as bad as it is in the US and they have had mass testing and real quarantines. Students are starting to come back to school, restaurants and bars are open.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It would be quite interesting to be in a park with only 30% capacity. I realize not everything will be running, but it might actually be a fun experience.
I would assume a similar restriction for domestic parks. They will probably adjust what’s open and closed based on that too so less people but less rides and shows. It will be interesting.

MickeyLuv'r

They might as well install shock technology in our magic bands if we're too close to anyone other than a person we're connected to on MDE.

I heard something similar is being tried at, I think, a Ford factory. I'm not 100% sure where I heard it, but I think the devices buzz (like a phone on vibrate).

I don't really see WDW doing anything that costly, but it is interesting to think about technological possibilities, if society really wanted to use technology for this purpose.

Calmdownnow

do as we say not as we do I guess... makes tot wonder how seriously he does take it as at the time he’d only just recovered from virus symptoms himself...
I think the point is he thought he had had the disease and so had "immunities" from anti-bodies. so, in his reasoning, he posed no danger to others and was not at risk himself. (Not sure he was ever tested though). There will be many others who think the same way -- "I had some mild symptoms so I'm now immune and can go out and about without any risk". But, of course, without testing, this could just be wishful thinking.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If you limit what people can do in the park you limit the space you can have them social distance. Closing stuff will just lead to more congestion around what is open.
It’s still a business. Every ride or attraction open has a cost associated with it. You can’t open everything with less than 30% of the guests and stay profitable unless you jack up the cost like the up charge events. Certain things like parades and shows will be naturally cut due to social distancing. They will probably have to make a call on the other rides based on actual expected attendance.

sedati

Sorry, I'm not as caught up on the operation rumors, but has there been any talk of splitting the day in half? If they're operating at such low capacity, couldn't they do a morning/evening split with some time inbetween for cleaning? With so few people in the park I'm sure you could get just as much done in half the time.

Calmdownnow

@mollay on instagram did a Q&A on life in Shanghai that might give you helpful context about their park opening on May 11. One thing she noted is that the situation there was never as bad as it is in the US and they have had mass testing and real quarantines. Students are starting to come back to school, restaurants and bars are open.

An interesting condition imposed on Shanghai guests is that they must show a "green" status on a health app that is government issued and used to generate a QR code that is based on a contact tracing and early detection system used in China. In other words, if the app shows you may have had a contact (on a bus, in the workplace, at home etc) you are not getting into the park, and if you don't have the app you are not getting into the park regardless of whether you have a mask on.

MickeyLuv'r

Demand has everything to do with it. You stated not enough people were being tested in Florida. If the demand is low how are they going to get to the testing numbers that you seem to think are appropriate? You said the positivity numbers should be based on more tests. Should Florida force people to get tested so there’s a larger testing base? I agree that trace testing will be very important. Let some of us enjoy the good news coming out of Florida 🙂

I agree with your post, but...well, I somewhat agree with both of you.
We don't know how widespread this is until we test a wider swath of the population, but we can't test people who aren't willing to be tested. (assuming each region has enough tests)

Maybe we need a public/private partnership! As a reward for having a swab jammed up your nose, anyone willing to be tested gets a free 1 day park ticket that can be redeemed at: WDW, DL, Universal, Sea World, Six Flags, Cedar Point, Hershey park, King's Island(OH), Busch Gardens, any participating beachside amusement park, Knott's, Legoland, Silverwood, Silver Dollar City, Dixie Landin', Dollywood, NH's Storyland, Michigan's Adventure, Carowinds, maybe some ski resorts, and any other participating amusement park.

(with perhaps each state offering a version that fits with that state or that region's offerings.)

robhedin

It’s still a business. Every ride or attraction open has a cost associated with it. You can’t open everything with less than 30% of the guests and stay profitable unless you jack up the cost like the up charge events. Certain things like parades and shows will be naturally cut due to social distancing. They will probably have to make a call on the other rides based on actual expected attendance.
True, but you're missing one big point that was made-- they're looking to start with very low numbers in order to get their processes working then start ramping up. It was also said that as they do that and get to the government mandated level, the mandated limits may be higher.

So reopening isn't just about making money *initially* ... it's about learning how to make money in the new environment.

Incomudro

Someone posted a link yesterday of a customer who shot an employee who told his kid had to wear a mask to enter. Or maybe it was a woman. But yeah, someone literally killed another person because they were asked to wear a mask. I think that’s what they were referring to

Doubt if it was that simple.

Polynesia

I agree with your post, but...well, I somewhat agree with both of you.
We don't know how widespread this is until we test a wider swath of the population, but we can't test people who aren't willing to be tested. (assuming each region has enough tests)

Maybe we need a public/private partnership! As a reward for having a swab jammed up your nose, anyone willing to be tested gets a free 1 day park ticket that can be redeemed at: WDW, DL, Universal, Sea World, Six Flags, Cedar Point, Hershey park, King's Island(OH), Busch Gardens, any participating beachside amusement park, Knott's, Legoland, Silverwood, Silver Dollar City, Dixie Landin', Dollywood, NH's Storyland, Michigan's Adventure, Carowinds, maybe some ski resorts, and any other participating amusement park.

(with perhaps each state offering a version that fits with that state or that region's offerings.)
Wouldn’t that be a great incentive to get tested. I admit I have not been tested. Being home for seven weeks with no one in our household working I haven’t seen the need. We don’t go out much except for food and the pharmacy. No one has been ill during this period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom