Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyDebRob

This was posted on the other board has some good info in it especially on why theme parks are different from mass gatherings.

Read this before. Nothing new that most people have been saying here for thousands of pages to open the parks. The question is can it be implemented and will it work. We are not talking about the local merry go round amusement park in nowheresville. I think at 50% capacity it’s going to be near impossible with social distancing, masks and the hundred of other things that need to be done.

ImperfectPixie

Bc it doesn’t matter. Schools can’t stay closed until Covid-19 no longer exists.
I didn't say they should stay closed until COVID-19 no longer exists. One of four things needs to happen for public school settings to be considered "safe". 1) There needs to be physical space for social distancing and masks must be worn when 6' cannot be observed (this is daydream material). 2) Multiple effective therapeutics are discovered that are readily available. 3) We reach herd immunity. 4) 1 or more safe, effective vaccines are developed.

Until one of those things happen, it's not realistic for schools to open because they cannot possibly guarantee any kind of safety from becoming a hot-spot.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
So, just got back from one of my daily walks and noticed a newly discovered (to me) phenomena. Yes, there are those walking about with open food and drink, masks pulled down so they can eat (and this is understandable in a short-term situation). However, there is this new thing... carry a fast food drink and straw and refrain from wearing a mask. In a crowd. For however long. Or walk with them for an entire afternoon stroll.

I'm beginning to wonder whether folks at Disney will start using drinks and food items as an excuse to keep their masks down (should it come to that). It's a convenient excuse. "I'm eating and drinking here, what do you want me to do? Starve and die of thirst?"

I'm also generally curious how the whole food/drink situation would work at all in the outdoors. You have to eat and drink in one place? There's so much here, I can't begin to make sense of anything.

DisneyDebRob

So, just got back from one of my daily walks and noticed a newly discovered (to me) phenomena. Yes, there are those walking about with open food and drink, masks pulled down so they can eat (and this is understandable in a short-term situation). However, there is this new thing... carry a fast food drink and straw and refrain from wearing a mask. In a crowd. For however long. Or walk with them for an entire afternoon stroll.

I'm beginning to wonder whether folks at Disney will start using drinks and food items as an excuse to keep their masks down (should it come to that). It's a convenient excuse. "I'm eating and drinking here, what do you want me to do? Starve and die of thirst?"

I'm also generally curious how the whole food/drink situation would work at all in the outdoors. You have to eat and drink in one place? There's so much here, I can't begin to make sense of anything.
This and a million other things is why I question whether Disney should just wait a bit before trying all this stuff. It doesn’t work around here at my local grocery store and they had maybe 25 people in it this morning. And none of them were kids. It’s going to be crazy.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
He sure does. And how does he factor in that COVID-19 will still be around and spreading? ANSWER: He doesn't.

He does say it depends on what happens with COVID-19. Nothing is final.

I think we will see schools adopt a more hybrid mode. I think schools will identify based on those who qualify for free lunch and have those kids return first as well as those in need of special education services. Then the remainder of the school can remain distance-learning. That makes the most sense to me as of right now. It's not a blanket approach, but a starting point and you adjust for schools where that doesn't work (for those who have too many who qualify for free lunch + special education services or too few). I could also see schools where there are too many being shuttled to schools that have too few to allow for social distancing.

You do have to start somewhere. I think a lot of kids will be home in the fall still though.

cmwade77

Out here in California, they are saying that schools will be done with about half of each class in the morning and the other half in the afternoon, doing distance learning the other part of the day until it is safe for students to be closer together. Not saying that is a good or bad solution, just letting you know what we have been told.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
He does say it depends on what happens with COVID-19. Nothing is final.

I think we will see schools adopt a more hybrid mode. I think schools will identify based on those who qualify for free lunch and have those kids return first as well as those in need of special education services. Then the remainder of the school can remain distance-learning. That makes the most sense to me as of right now. It's not a blanket approach, but a starting point and you adjust for schools where that doesn't work (for those who have too many who qualify for free lunch + special education services or too few). I could also see schools where there are too many being shuttled to schools that have too few to allow for social distancing.

You do have to start somewhere. I think a lot of kids will be home in the fall still though.
Boy...that’s not at all complicated 🤔

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Out here in California, they are saying that schools will be done with about half of each class in the morning and the other half in the afternoon, doing distance learning the other part of the day until it is safe for students to be closer together. Not saying that is a good or bad solution, just letting you know what we have been told.

Oof. That hurts my head logistically. I wonder how they're going to overcome the costs due to gas.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
It's really not. Every school already knows the number of students receiving free lunch and that receive special education classes. That takes 10 minutes to pull up.

It can't be all or nothing. We can find middle ground across the board that will suffice.

I really do worry about those kids in particular. I'd say more but it'd probably get political and well, we can't have that.

DisneyDebRob

I am actually very well. I work with inner city schools so I see what is going on with "homeschooling" within the community for lots of my students and it's not good. I would honestly give up my next 20 Disney vacations if it meant school starting in the fall for these kids.
Well I am really glad to hear that. Just sounded a bit stressed. May I recommend, getting a adult beverage.. putting on a funny move, I’ll recommend Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Sit back and have a few laughs. Always helps me when I feel the need to go off in here. Well most of the time.
As for the home schooling, I’m sure there’s not good things with some going on with it. But there’s many that is going great. Some are very new to the home schooling thing so they may just need some time to adjust. We need to look at the good things and then try to help where we can with the bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom