Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilypgirl

Well, I hope you realize that your bravado puts anyone who comes into contact with you at risk. Asymptomatic spread is possible for up to 14 days, so you could be infected right now and not even know it.

So you are suggesting that even when states reopen we should just sit and wait? Wait until you and a few and other keyboard warriors say it’s ok. That’s irrational and unnecessary. I will follow government and state guidelines and time lines .

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I will gladly visit whatever is open. If my salon is open I will go , if Disney is open I will go etc. etc. I am not interested in breaking any laws.
You missed the question: where do you live that’s prompting your assuredness that everything will work out fine?
Shiny Happy People Not Holding Hands
That was my first thought as well...but I switched the signs and didn’t throw the curveball on the 0-0 count.

ImperfectPixie

...I wouldn’t.

Actually I have legitimate work reasons where I could and I let them know: you can wait. “Here’s a referral if you need one”
I wouldn't, either. I'm in MA...another hot-spot. I consider myself fortunate that I'm not in one of the most-infected counties, but I'm not arrogant enough to believe that it won't be here just as badly as it is elsewhere in our state at some point.

lilypgirl

No one is saying shelter at home. People are saying to be safe. You've basically said you'd be willing to visit Manhattan or the Bronx without self-quarantining afterwards.

No one is saying to stay home but when you do go out at least try to stay 6ft away from others. Its not that hard to do
[/QUOTE]

I am sorry did I say I wasn't going to follow social distancing rules?

Last edited by a moderator:

ThatMouse

Sounds like Disney is like, "Uh, we're waiting for someone to tell us we can open. Because the governor gave us a whole two sentence description for phase 2, and we need a little more than "50% capacity" and "everyone has to stay 6ft away. We don't have a ticket or season pass for that kind of park."

Nubs70

Not all medical professionals have the same credentials. Your local doctor had about 3-4 months of courses in epidemiology and virology during their first two years in medical school and since then has focused on treating patients, which rarely involves those subjects even if they practice in specialties that treat those issues.

That might not seem true but here’s the truth, when you are treating a patient it doesn’t matter how they got the disease, they have it and now you need to “fix it” other then making sure you are wearing the proper PPE (so you don’t get it) and warning family members to be evaluated if they get similar symptoms.

Then you have people (some of whom are PhDs) who devote their entire life to studying Public health, epidemiology and virology, those are the experts you need to listen to, your community health care provider knows only enough to be dangerous, to use a military analogy, community doctors are 2nd lieutenants, the experts are generals. The Lieutenants May have a good idea of what’s happening on the front line but are too deep in the nitty gritty to give you a proper opinion on the overarching strategy and if it’s working.

Signed a person on the front lines who knows his opinion on this whole affair isn’t informed enough and thus defers to those experts.
Precisely, a neurologist and a proctologist are both doctors but you would not one working on the other.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sounds like Disney is like, "Uh, we're waiting for someone to tell us we can open. Because the governor gave us a whole two sentence description for phase 2, and we need a little more than "50% capacity" and "everyone has to stay 6ft away. We don't have a ticket or season pass for that kind of park."
Bingo...

If the state is not gonna stick its neck out at all with clear guidance...Disney is not gonna want to open.

I bet there there landlines lit up repeatedly in Tallahassee with “Burbank, Ca” listed on the caller ID

Precisely, a neurologist and a proctologist are both doctors but you would not one working on the other.
Would they buy me dinner first? Or disconnect my short term circuitry so I couldn’t remember if they did?

ImperfectPixie

I understand the virus and exponential spread enough to know that I may choose to take risks, but those risks will have consequences for others - especially those in my household. Therefore, I choose to be safe and maintain 6' distance from others and wear a mask when in a public place, and I don't go to public places where other people congregate very often.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Taking a step back and looking at this whole process from more of a big picture view:

We are beginning to lift stay at home orders in what will hopefully be an orderly and rational process based on statistics and logic not emotion. So far outside of one or two states that’s happening. There is no way that the process will not have glitches. The media will highlight the glitches. Take it with a grain of salt. Overall, people are following the requirements. On the flip side just because a beach or a shopping center is open doesn’t mean you should go there. If you get to the beach or a store and it’s overrun, go home. Not because the rules say you have to but because it’s common sense. Just because you have the right to do something doesn’t mean you should. Take smoking as an example. Not illegal but not a good idea either.

As time goes on we will progress through the phases of this process. Just keep in mind this is only phase 1. We aren’t back to normal in any way. As a matter of fact the federal guidelines tell us we will not be back to normal even in phase 3. They still recommend vulnerable people continue to social distance and LOW-RISK POPULATIONS should consider minimizing time spent in crowded environments. They go on to say LARGE VENUES (e.g., sit-down dining, movie theaters, sporting venues, places of worship) can operate under limited physical distancing protocols. So while the “rules” might say that you can legally go out in public and do the things you want to do in phase 3 they are still recommending some level of social or physical distancing I assume until there is a vaccine or the virus goes away on its own (I can dream:)).

The only reason I posted all of this is that it seems like we always get caught up in a black and white debate between open or closed. Stay at home or go back to life as normal. What everyone is advocating (including the federal government who is on the opposite end of the spectrum from the media) is a plan somewhere in the middle. Things will open up. We need to take it slow. No rules should be considered absolutes. Use common sense, and most importantly think about others too. We are all in this together but if people go too fast or too slow to try to show up the other side that’s not going to help any of us long term. There’s also no reason to try to disprove the medical experts that don’t agree with you.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’d like to be a fly on the wall in those meetings. Disney has a WDW exec on the governor’s task force but I wonder if they would prefer the state to dictate an opening timeline or if they prefer to do it themselves. At the local level OC has left it up to the individual park owners, but I would assume they have much more pull at that level. On one hand having Florida decide takes some of the liability away but it also takes some control away. If Disney chooses to wait but the state recommendation is a June 1 opening for major theme parks then there ma b more pressure on Disney from customers. It’s a tough call I have way they would prefer.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Meanwhile state after state is beginning to reopen and people are out enjoying their lives .

(I have no problem with states starting to re-open and gradually rolling back the lockdowns we've seen). At the same time, I would not put the states re-opening as a sign that you're safe or that it's the absolute right direction. It comes down to risk/reward and the states are looking that the risk level is low at this time and thus are willing to trial this (keep in mind, they will pull it back if it starts to get out of hand or cases start climbing much faster than their appetite for risk will allow). The virus is not gone, it's still dangerous to go out as there are many unknown elements around this virus.

robhedin

Actually no. It’s not.

Do you actually understand why states are starting to reopen or why people are going out again?

I’ll give you a hint. It has nothing to do with science, data, health care, safety, or the virus.

Ask yourself this question. What has changed regarding the virus or our response to it between now and early March when shutdowns began that warrants lifting them now?
I fully understand why. Georgia, for example, has been on a downward trend; hospitals are not overly impacted any longer. Same with Tennessee. The whole reason for the closure was to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed. That appears to no longer be an issue. The authorities believe and expect an uptick in cases, some of which may require hospitalization, however they also believe that the current healthcare system can handle that new load. Given that 92% of deaths/serious cases are in people over 55, they've kept (or added) certain restrictions for that age cohort to help ensure they're not placed at additional risk.

Taking a step back and looking at this whole process from more of a big picture view:

We are beginning to lift stay at home orders in what will hopefully be an orderly and rational process based on statistics and logic not emotion. So far outside of one or two states that’s happening. There is no way that the process will not have glitches. The media will highlight the glitches. Take it with a grain of salt. Overall, people are following the requirements. On the flip side just because a beach or a shopping center is open doesn’t mean you should go there. If you get to the beach or a store and it’s overrun, go home. Not because the rules say you have to but because it’s common sense. Just because you have the right to do something doesn’t mean you should. Take smoking as an example. Not illegal but not a good idea either.

As time goes on we will progress through the phases of this process. Just keep in mind this is only phase 1. We aren’t back to normal in any way. As a matter of fact the federal guidelines tell us we will not be back to normal even in phase 3. They still recommend vulnerable people continue to social distance and LOW-RISK POPULATIONS should consider minimizing time spent in crowded environments. They go on to say LARGE VENUES (e.g., sit-down dining, movie theaters, sporting venues, places of worship) can operate under limited physical distancing protocols. So while the “rules” might say that you can legally go out in public and do the things you want to do in phase 3 they are still recommending some level of social or physical distancing I assume until there is a vaccine or the virus goes away on its own (I can dream:)).

The only reason I posted all of this is that it seems like we always get caught up in a black and white debate between open or closed. Stay at home or go back to life as normal. What everyone is advocating (including the federal government who is on the opposite end of the spectrum from the media) is a plan somewhere in the middle. Things will open up. We need to take it slow. No rules should be considered absolutes. Use common sense, and most importantly think about others too. We are all in this together but if people go too fast or too slow to try to show up the other side that’s not going to help any of us long term. There’s also no reason to try to disprove the medical experts that don’t agree with you.

Im trying to teach my child this concept. Just because we can do something, doesn't always mean that we should.

Chi84

Premium Member
It seems to me the most you can ask of people is that they adhere to any requirements or restrictions set by the government/ private businesses such as Disney. People are different in terms of their willingness to take risks and how much they are willing to do to be safe - they are also different in how compassionate they are toward others. That's why we have our elected representatives make the rules. If someone believes the rules that apply to everyone are not sufficient to keep them safe, then it becomes a matter of personal choice to take additional steps for their own safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom