Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patcheslee

A quick peek at their information for Magic Kingdom and EPCOT shows their stats are very very wrong. Both their park numbers and individual attractions.
Got more time to look, capacity is based by how many people can be through an attraction hourly. Unless they plan to use a Walmart style people/sqft calculation

DisneyCane

I agree that people with young children that tend to put their hands in their mouth constantly will be less likely to return.

On the vaccine front one fear that I have is people refusing to vaccinate will cause the virus to linger longer than it needs to. With H1N1 they only used about 90M doses of vaccine. That’s going to cover less than 30% of the population and like any vaccine a certain percentage will not be effective. That’s not enough for herd immunity. With H1N1 a lot of people had natural immunity (estimates up to 30%) due to previous exposure. It was mostly young people at risk. This one only the currently infected will have natural immunity. We probably need closer to half the population to be vaccinated to snuff this out.
If a safe and effective vaccine is released and people refuse to get it, that's on them and if they get serious case or die they have nobody to blame but themselves.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If a safe and effective vaccine is released and people refuse to get it, that's on them and if they get serious case or die they have nobody to blame but themselves.
Agreed, I just feel bad for anyone who gets vaccinated and it doesn’t take. With herd immunity if everyone gets vaccinated those who either can’t get vaccinated or get it but it’s not effective are covered anyway because there aren’t enough spreaders to go around. If there’s a major national campaign to promote a vaccine it won’t be a problem. I just hope the talking heads and politicians on both sides unite in support of it.

Lilofan

With the earnings call on Tuesday, I'd expect something timed before or with that?
I would bet the news would come on before the earnings call that the media will make it front page news. This type of news can affect the Disney stock price and overall Dow Jones numbers for May 5. Then during the public Wall Street conference call with Iger he will talk strategy and answer some tough Q&A from Wall Street. Many investors, cast members and guests will want to know.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I would bet the news would come on before the earnings call that the media will make it front page news. This type of news can affect the Disney stock price and overall Dow Jones numbers for May 5. Then during the public Wall Street conference call with Iger he will talk strategy and answer some tough Q&A from Wall Street. Many investors, cast members and guests will want to know.
Depends on what the news is. If they plan to open WDW June 1 that would be considered great news for TWDC financially (ignore the public health concerns). They may want to get that out early and get a boost in share price. If the news is they want to wait until fall to open they may want to spin that in the earnings call after the market is closed.

Jrb1979

Depends on what the news is. If they plan to open WDW June 1 that would be considered great news for TWDC financially (ignore the public health concerns). They may want to get that out early and get a boost in share price. If the news is they want to wait until fall to open they may want to spin that in the earnings call after the market is closed.
The fact they haven't called any CM's back would lead me to believe that a June 1st opening isn't happening.

DVCakaCarlF

I don’t know why you are so hung up on that. I’m not saying WDW will reopen June 1. But cast members will not be called back more than 2 weeks in advance. Most cast won’t even be called back more than a week in advance.
You think all the cast are going to be called back to be begin with?

1) Many won’t return and go from being furloughed to laid off due to lower attendance.
2) Some won’t come back by choice because childcare is an issue.
3) Some won’t come back because they would rather collect unemployment.
4) Some will hey other jobs.

I spoke with a Minnie Van driver on our last day, when the park was closing, and she admitted that they will move a lot of retirees around, and from other parks, to focus on demand as it is needed. I’m not saying she is a insider, but it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom