Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabeBelle

My cousin’s daughter is a senior in high school this year. They didn’t have a prom but it was close enough to the date that a lot of the girls had dresses. She was planning to throw a big graduation party this summer and have it be ”formal dress” so the kids could at least wear the dresses :(
One of the schools in my area has re-scheduled graduation and prom for much later in the summer, beginning to mid August as I recall. I think this is a great idea, to go ahead with it, even if it has to be postponed a bit. Marie

It's irresponsible reporting to use the title they did...MANY on social media just read titles and not the articles themselves. It's begging to spread misinformation. And as I said earlier, a lighter viral load doesn't necessarily mean less chance of spreading the virus because children are more prone to touch EVERYTHING, including their faces, noses, and mouths, than an adult is.
I agree with what you’re saying about the headline. It’s become the norm in “journalism.” I’ve noticed that even the many articles I read with misleading headlines still contain valuable info.

Chi84

Premium Member
It’s true about misleading headlines. I can’t count the number of articles with sensational headlines about how the virus can travel incredible distances and linger in the air for days - then when you read the actual article it says only trace amounts or incomplete molecules were detected and there’s no evidence to show they can actually cause an infection. Headlines like that are dangerous because they can cause people to believe nothing they do will be effective against the virus so why bother with hand washing.

Disney4family

One of the schools in my area has re-scheduled graduation and prom for much later in the summer, beginning to mid August as I recall. I think this is a great idea, to go ahead with it, even if it has to be postponed a bit. Marie
We're hoping for something like this.
Of course, she's worried that if WDW does open, a rescheduled prom and graduation will conflict with our summer WDW trip. She doesn't want to give up on going "home" to celebrate.
Fingers crossed it works out for her and for everyone dealing with this.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It’s a good idea even if they have to wait until it’s allowed. I also have a friend whose wife’s sister was supposed to get married in April. They had to push the wedding back to end of August so hopefully things open up by then for large gatherings. So many special things were missed. It makes for a good story later in life but for right now it’s really disappointing.

The study concludes “the role of transmission in children is unclear”. Which means they reached no conclusion. Add that to the mountain of evidence that children are asymptomatic spreaders.
So you’re saying you believe the part of the article that says the role of transmission in children is unclear, but you don’t believe the part that states that the role of children spreading the disease is thought to be insignificant?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The study concludes “the role of transmission in children is unclear”. Which means they reached no conclusion. Add that to the mountain of evidence that children are asymptomatic spreaders.
I think so far about 90% of things published about this virus should end with...we reached no definitive conclusion. So many people are dedicating so much time and effort into figuring this virus out and I personally believe we will eventually have a lot more answers but right now we’re still in the Earth is flat phase. Science will eventually figure it out.

jmp85

It's irresponsible reporting to use the title they did...MANY on social media just read titles and not the articles themselves. It's begging to spread misinformation. And as I said earlier, a lighter viral load doesn't necessarily mean less chance of spreading the virus because children are more prone to touch EVERYTHING, including their faces, noses, and mouths, than an adult is.

Amen. Can't tell you how many times I fall for a similar title, then proceed to read the entire article and come away confused because the content doesn't match the title. Guess they just wanted my click, but it's pretty irresponsible. I think almost all of the national news providers here in the U.S. are guilty of it (some more often than others).

note2001

I think so far about 90% of things published about this virus should end with...we reached no definitive conclusion. So many people are dedicating so much time and effort into figuring this virus out and I personally believe we will eventually have a lot more answers but right now we’re still in the Earth is flat phase. Science will eventually figure it out.

I'm looking forward to the "The things we got wrong" white paper on SARS-CoV-2
:banghead: :grumpy: :( Learning is the hardest part of anything.

easyrowrdw

So you’re saying you believe the part of the article that says the role of transmission in children is unclear, but you don’t believe the part that states that the role of children spreading the disease is thought to be insignificant?

I did not read the article. I read the “study”. The “study” did not say that. The “study” said:

“COVID-19 appears to affect children less often, and with less severity, including frequent asymptomatic or subclinical infection. There is evi- dence of critical illness, but it is rare. The role of children in transmission is unclear, but it seems likely they do not play a significant role. Changes in laboratory or radiographic parameters are slightly different to adults, and changes usually mild. There is no direct evidence of vertical trans- mission, and early evidence suggests both infected mothers and infants are no more severely affected than other groups. Early evidence sug- gests no significant increased risk for children with immunosuppression, but further data is needed.”

“Appears”. “Unclear”. “No ‘direct’ evidence”. “Further data is needed”.

This wasn’t peer reviewed, it doesn’t reach any statistically significant conclusion, and it’s as relevant as the fake hydroxychloroquine “evidence”.

I mean, this is just paraphrasing. It's what an article is supposed to do when summarizing a source.

DisneyDebRob

I did not read the article. I read the “study”. The “study” did not say that. The “study” said:

“COVID-19 appears to affect children less often, and with less severity, including frequent asymptomatic or subclinical infection. There is evi- dence of critical illness, but it is rare. The role of children in transmission is unclear, but it seems likely they do not play a significant role. Changes in laboratory or radiographic parameters are slightly different to adults, and changes usually mild. There is no direct evidence of vertical trans- mission, and early evidence suggests both infected mothers and infants are no more severely affected than other groups. Early evidence sug- gests no significant increased risk for children with immunosuppression, but further data is needed.”

“Appears”. “Unclear”. “No ‘direct’ evidence”. “Further data is needed”.

This wasn’t peer reviewed, it doesn’t reach any statistically significant conclusion, and it’s as relevant as the fake hydroxychloroquine “evidence”.
Peer review is key with any study. They will print a article from me saying the yeti cant get Covid because of his hide and seek ability. Needs to be peer reviewed. That’s why we shake our heads over local and national news with the studies they come out with only to be found bs down the road.

DisneyDebRob

Just heard on tv last night, not sure where it was, caught the end of it. A school having the graduation at a drive in theater. Each family in their own car with announcements of each person from the stage along with their papers given out. Kids seemed to be pretty excited and looking forward to it.

wannabeBelle

Just heard on tv last night, not sure where it was, caught the end of it. A school having the graduation at a drive in theater. Each family in their own car with announcements of each person from the stage along with their papers given out. Kids seemed to be pretty excited and looking forward to it.
That is a cool idea!!! Very neat and certainly a way to recognize all of the graduates. Marie

DisneyDebRob

In Denton, TX, we are doing graduation at Texas Motor Speedway (Nascar). Families will be in cars in the infield.
Here it is. When searching for it found a few others doing the same thing. Even showing the pics of grads on the big screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom