Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

Here's what I don't get --- how do these cheap homemade style masks (same type Disney is now selling) prevent the virus from escaping the mask, but it can't prevent the virus from getting inside the mask? It's the same material on both sides? Honestly just asking as I haven't seen anything explaining how it works.
It doesn’t stop it either way. It stops the force of expelled air from a cough or sneeze from spreading the virus further.
When you cough, talk or breathe out, most of the droplets and particles are accelerated towards the mask where it can capture them before the air heads to the edges to escape the path of least resistance.

When you inhale, most of the air, droplets and particles will come in from around the edges.

It isn't perfect in either direction but captures a lot more of what you put out than what you take in.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It doesn't make that much sense once the passengers are seated. The airflow on an aircraft is predominantly ceiling to floor and the air is changed out very frequently. Surfaces are a much bigger issue with disease spread on aircraft than airborne.

Sitting next to someone who is infected is different because of the proximity but passenger to flight attendant is not going to be a high risk, especially since they aren't doing cabin service.
They aren’t doing drink service but the flight attendants still have to walk up and down the aisle, close the luggage bins, assist passengers when they push the button, etc.. I get that people think wearing a mask is a big inconvenience and want to look for reasons they shouldn’t have to, but the people who work as a flight attendant shouldn’t be put at risk because someone has their own theory. At the end of the day it’s up to the airlines. If they don’t require it then there’s nothing the flight attendants can do, If the airlines or FAA make masks required then your choices as a customer are wear one or don’t fly. Same goes for WDW. If I had anywhere to go right now and needed to fly I’d wear a mask. If they require it for a theme park I’m just not going. Everyone can make their own call.

BoarderPhreak

Who's in for some half-full park hopping? 🤘
Phase 1 of a reopening would allow the parks to operate at 50% capacity, and Phase 2 would jump that up to 75%. In both phases, any staff members 65 or older would be encouraged to stay at home.

zengoth

If the cast members can do, then the guests should be able to handle it as well. 7 states are mandating masks and the pilots union is pressing the FAA to mandate masks on planes. The mask thing is gaining traction. Children adapt better then adults to change. Remember that this is for others safety not the mask wearers safety.
I wonder if CMs get to take them off during their breaks (or get a fresh one). Will there be anyplace for guests to get a break from their masks all day? (they can let one person into any former smoking area at a time...). I am half serious. I can't imagine guests pulling their masks down for 10 seconds minutes and then getting doused by hoses full of sanitizer by angry magical mobs.

dolbyman

at 50% or less capacity (Phase I?)

Masks (disposable, cloth,non N95 maybe/hopefully offered by Disney complimentary from dispensers)

Outside = mask can stay off if enough distance can be maintained (maybe masks mandatory in crowded areas like mainstreet,etc)
Inside = masks mandatory (AC inside makes it less bothersome to wear them)

With mask dispensers at all Shop and Attraction entrances, a fresh mask could be obtained everytime you enter an inside area

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Masks (disposable, cloth,non N95 maybe/hopefully offered by Disney complimentary from dispensers)
Outside = mask can stay off if enough distance can be maintained (maybe masks mandatory in crowded areas like mainstreet,etc)

With mask dispensers at all Shop and Attraction entrances, a fresh mask could be obtained everytime you enter an inside area
Where are they getting these masks from? Assuming a very low crowd day of 10,000 people per day in a park and 10 indoor attractions per person on average that’s 100,000 masks. Multiply that by 4 parks plus Disney Springs and the resorts and they would need at least half a million masks a day. 15 million in a month. I don’t know if they could even buy that many masks anywhere right now. If there’s a mask requirement I would expect BYOM (bring your own mask) 😷 They definitely would sell the cloth ones with Disney characters.

dolbyman

Where are they getting these masks from? Assuming a very low crowd day of 10,000 people per day in a park and 10 indoor attractions per person on average that’s 100,000 masks. Multiply that by 4 parks plus Disney Springs and the resorts and they would need at least half a million masks a day. 15 million in a month. I don’t know if they could even buy that many masks anywhere right now. If there’s a mask requirement I would expect BYOM (bring your own mask) 😷 They definitely would sell the cloth ones with Disney characters.

Never said it was easy, Disney would have to source a steady supply of those masks (there must be companies opening for those everywhere like crazy) .. I know the whole world is after those masks right now,
Japan has Disney themed facemasks (we bought a couple last September on our "4 Disney parks asia super trip"), maybe that company can ramp up production, who knows ?

The way this is going, disposable facemasks are here to stay for a while, so they need to be available like the cutlery dispensers at the food festivals, you are free to bring your own, but they need to be provided aswell. (Disney did the bug lotion during the Zika outbreak too)

Lilofan

I can see when mandatory face masks go into effect that some ice cream and soda sales not meeting sales targets since guests like myself use to spend on these items and walk, talk, eat, stand in line enjoying my Mickey bar or diet Coke.

ImperfectPixie

I can see when mandatory face masks go into effect that some ice cream and soda sales not meeting sales targets since guests like myself use to spend on these items and walk, talk, eat, stand in line enjoying my Mickey bar or diet Coke.
They should never have removed the benches from the parks - those were spaced far apart enough that you could grab a snack, sit down and eat, and still be 6' away from anyone else.

monykalyn

If anything, the numbers are underreported due to so many dying alone at home or in nursing homes without proper testing.
in all the nursing homes I work with (albeit a small and anecdotally small number) anyone with a fever and cough gets tested. They are already isolated in their rooms (another topic on the mental and physical toll this is taking)
Circling back to this -

No statewide closures on beaches/parks after all - just temporarily closed in Orange county.

View attachment 467428
yes the pressure of irresponsible media reporting for sensational headlines! All the local sheriffs and mayors stated the pictures didn’t describe FAMILY groups who didn’t have to distance, and the patrols by sheriffs who reminded the others (who complied). Hopefully the governor learned from his knee jerk response.
What our family would be doing is going into the theme park restrooms several times a day and washing the masks under cold water and soap to rinse the sweat and germs that has accumulated in the masks wearing them in the hot Florida summer. Rinse, ring them out, wear, sweat, rinse, ring them out, wear, sweat, repeat several times a day.
Here's what I don't get --- how do these cheap homemade style masks (same type Disney is now selling) prevent the virus from escaping the mask, but it can't prevent the virus from getting inside the mask? It's the same material on both sides? Honestly just asking as I haven't seen anything explaining how it works.
Wet do zero good. Plus they then get heavy. And UNCOMFORTABLE. Think blisters on feet bad- wait until you have sores rubbed behind ears from wet, heavy uncomfortable cloth masks .

Masks should be mandatory in my opinion until we all know it’s safe to be without. I don’t want to wear one like every person in the world doesn’t either. It’s important and can save a life. View attachment 467435
Yeah not even close. Anything other than medical grade or respirators haven’t shown to be effective and in fact, could contribute to more contamination. The cloth ones really don’t do much. The studies on mask effectiveness are done on medical grade ones, and the (few) studies on bandanna or loose cloth masks show airflow doesn’t stop much. The WHO for that reason doesn’t recommend them. Why cdc does is subject for a different forum. For goodness sakes people also sneeze for reasons other than covid too.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Never said it was easy, Disney would have to source a steady supply of those masks (there must be companies opening for those everywhere like crazy) .. I know the whole world is after those masks right now,
Japan has Disney themed facemasks (we bought a couple last September on our "4 Disney parks asia super trip"), maybe that company can ramp up production, who knows ?

The way this is going, disposable facemasks are here to stay for a while, so they need to be available like the cutlery dispensers at the food festivals, you are free to bring your own, but they need to be provided aswell. (Disney did the bug lotion during the Zika outbreak too)
Anything is possible. Based on all the info we have they would have somewhere around 4 to 8 weeks to sort it all out. Right now there’s no masks to be had, but if Disney found a company (ironically probably in Wuhan;)) and ordered 20M masks that would probably be a huge score for them. Especially if it’s a recurring order.
No ordinary cloth mask is going to keep me from a Mickey bar ;)

ImperfectPixie

Yeah not even close. Anything other than medical grade or respirators haven’t shown to be effective and in fact, could contribute to more contamination. The cloth ones really don’t do much. The studies on mask effectiveness are done on medical grade ones, and the (few) studies on bandanna or loose cloth masks show airflow doesn’t stop much. The WHO for that reason doesn’t recommend them. Why cdc does is subject for a different forum. For goodness sakes people also sneeze for reasons other than covid too.
Face coverings of any kind aren't about keeping the virus out. They're about keeping your own germs in...so that if you are asymptomatic, you don't accidentally infect anyone.

ETA: I know they're not 100% effective, but they stop droplets, which is the biggest concern.

dolbyman

True .. there will be lot's off potential sales losses for disney for snacks and souvenirs, even before Covid-19 .. I never endulged in Snacks like popcorn(etc), if I couldn't wash my hands beforehand (pun). No more 'precuddles' for plush toys, maybe a "demo" unit and then a wrapped one for purchase.. like perfume testers ? .. all details that need to be figured out.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
True .. there will be lot's off potential sales losses for disney for snacks and souvenirs, even before Covid-19 .. I never endulged in Snacks like popcorn(etc), if I couldn't wash my hands beforehand (pun). No more 'precuddles' for plush toys, maybe a "demo" unit and then a wrapped one for purchase.. like perfume testers ? .. all details that need to be figured out.
How about t-shirts and Mickey ears? No trying them on? There are so many things we took for granted that will change...at least for a little while :(

Lilofan

That face mask will get in the way when trying to figure out what perfume,cologne to try and buy in Italy and France in Epcot.

dolbyman

How about t-shirts and Mickey ears? No trying them on? There are so many things we took for granted that will change...at least for a little while :(
I don't disagree, but I have never tried on shirts before and i would always wash em before I wear them. Maybe I am just strange that way. (granted, the WDW winbreaker I bought last year in the Swan giftshop, I actually tried out if it fits)

DisneyDebRob

Face coverings of any kind aren't about keeping the virus out. They're about keeping your own germs in...so that if you are asymptomatic, you don't accidentally infect anyone.

ETA: I know they're not 100% effective, but they stop droplets, which is the biggest concern.
Thank you for that. Sometimes you just feel like blowing your top over some that just don’t get it. Saw your response and you just saved me 10 minutes of typing. 🙂

dolbyman

That face mask will get in the way when trying to figure out what perfume,cologne to try and buy in Italy and France in Epcot.
Hahah, i went to the Epcot England Perfume store (pardon I don't recall the name) and I had to spray the stuff on a papercard and go outside to smell it, the inside was a mishmash of so many scents, that I couldn't tell right from wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom