Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member

If you read what Six Flags is doing, Disney will do the same. Masks for all, virtual queues, mobile ordering and cashless transactions.
I saw the part about face masks and temperature checks, but unless I missed it, it doesn’t say if they would apply to guests as well as employees.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I interrupt the interminable debate on masks to be on topic. ;)

For WDW, what is important is its governing agencies: Florida and (mostly) Orange County.

Florida state had a task force called Reopen Florida Task Force which gave a *recommendation* to the governor for a three phase reopening.

Yesterday, on Wednesday, Gov. DeSantis promulgated his executive order taking advice from the Reopen Florida Task Force, but not following it completely. He was more strict than the Task Force recommended. He only outlined some specific items for his promulgated Governor's Phase I that begins on Monday, May 4. He didn't give a timeline for when Phase II would start (he couldn't since that depends on certain benchmarks being met). Nor did he say what his Phase II would look like (he doesn't have to follow Reopen Florida Task Force's recommendation).

Now, on the local level: Local jurisdictions can be more strict than the state's regulations. And so, for WDW, we need to see what Orange County's guidelines will be, which can indeed be more strict than the state's guidelines. There is a local task force called: Orange County Economic Recovery Task Force. The OCERTF has had public video meetings and we've heard *recommendations* from its members as to what their *recommendations* will be to Orange County officials. Which means everything you've seen reported about what they've been saying may not be in their final report. And the Orange County officials may make other decisions. So... we don't know what will come of the OCERTF yet. Their report of *recommendations* will come out tomorrow, Friday, May 1. Then Orange County officials will have to decide what they will allow to happen. They could theoretically keep everything in lockdown.

And WDW itself could be more restrictive than state or county. E.g., the governments are *recommending* employee screenings and masks. But the parks could, on their own, implement mandatory screening and masks for employees *and* guests.

I created a handy chart comparing the Governor's Phase I to the Reopen Florida Task Force's phases....

1588298635872.png

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

For WDW, what is important is its governing agencies: Florida and (mostly) Orange County.

Florida state had a task force called Reopen Florida Task Force which gave a *recommendation* to the governor for a three phase reopening.

Yesterday, on Wednesday, Gov. DeSantis promulgated his executive order taking advice from the Reopen Florida Task Force, but not following it completely. He was more strict than the Task Force recommended. He only outlined some specific items for his promulgated Governor's Phase I that begins on Monday, May 4. He didn't give a timeline for when Phase II would start (he couldn't since that depends on certain benchmarks being met). Nor did he say what his Phase II would look like (he doesn't have to follow Reopen Florida Task Force's recommendation).

Now, on the local level: Local jurisdictions can be more strict than the state's regulations. And so, for WDW, we need to see what Orange County's guidelines will be, which can indeed be more strict than the state's guidelines. There is a local task force called: Orange County Economic Recovery Task Force. The OCERTF has had public video meetings and we've heard *recommendations* from its members as to what their *recommendations* will be to Orange County officials. Which means everything you've seen reported about what they've been saying may not be in their final report. And the Orange County officials may make other decisions. So... we don't know what will come of the OCERTF yet. Their report of *recommendations* will come out tomorrow, Friday, May 1. Then Orange County officials will have to decide what they will allow to happen. They could theoretically keep everything in lockdown.

I created a handy chart comparing the Governor's Phase I to the Reopen Florida Task Force's phases....

View attachment 467538
Would it be okay for me to share this with appropriate credit?

Kevin_W

in all the nursing homes I work with (albeit a small and anecdotally small number) anyone with a fever and cough gets tested. They are already isolated in their rooms (another topic on the mental and physical toll this is taking)

I'm a deacon at my church and our main task is reaching out to church members who have a hard time getting to church (which is everyone nowadays, but typically older members many of whom are in assisted living). I know firsthand that for many, a nursing home is a difficult transition. Adding in being unable to see children, grandchildren and in some cases being confined to just their room is indeed taking a mental toll.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I saw the part about face masks and temperature checks, but unless I missed it, it doesn’t say if they would apply to guests as well as employees.
They were definitely talking about guests. Sounds like temperature checks for sure and they mention free masks but not that they would be required. Here’s a section direct from the earnings call transcript (I added the bold to the relevant section):

James Hardiman

Hi, good morning. Thanks for taking my call. So the number one question I keep getting and I'm hoping you can help me with is just what the parks are going to look like in this socially distant environment? And you talked about some of this in the prepared remarks. But maybe help us think through, how you would go about limiting the number of people in your parts?

Number one, sort of, what technologies you would use, how you would communicate that with potential guests, and then how you would limit people in line and potentially on the rides? I know you talked about technical investments, technological investments that are eventually coming. Are you going to need those to be up and running as you think through how to do virtual queuing and the like?

Michael Spanos

Yeah, James, how you doing? I think, first, it's a really good question. It's fundamentally what park present teams have been working on. I mean, the first thing is we've got to gain the trust of state and local health officials. They've got to feel comfortable we can protect the safety of our guests and our team members.

The second is we have detailed plans that have addressed the new normal. We're using those plans and discussing those plans based on direct guest feedback, medical advice from our epidemiologists, local health officials and also CDC guidance. What that means is when you think about the new normal, we're going to have to implement temperature checks.

We're going to be wiping down rides throughout the day. We're going to have hand washing stations, free sanitizers, masks, sanitization of the parks each night. And we're going to have to enforce social distancing in all areas, starting from the parking lot, to the rides, the queue lines and the dining areas. And that's going to be the reality in a manual reality as well.

Now we already began implementing these measures, as I said, before we suspended operations. So we're very prepared how we do this manually and how we coach guests as they come – how they come in. So I think there's going to be two phases. There'll be some phases where ideally we open up parks sooner than later. And we're going to have to be there to coach the guests as they come in. Over time, what I'd like to do is continue to implement technology to enforce more of a contactless environment, that will continue to ramp up. So that's how we're thinking about it.

Kevin_W

And WDW itself could be more restrictive than state or county. E.g., the governments are *recommending* employee screenings and masks. But the parks could, on their own, implement mandatory screening and masks for employees *and* guests.

View attachment 467538

The cynic in me (which is probably 90% of me these days), says that the governor probably intentionally has the recommendations be a little looser so he could be seen as being more strict by the public.

SoFloMagic

View attachment 467538
This is excellent. Thanks for doing this!

TrainsOfDisney

I’m still trying to figure out who’s going to want to travel and vacation under these conditions.

I understand opening up local businesses with some restrictions, but opening up places like Disney, Universal, etc. just seems kinda odd to me. Masks, CM’s behind plexiglass, temperature screenings, you can’t stand here, you can’t touch that, etc. at some point when does it continue to be enjoyable at all?

In my opinion if you have to take those measures to open, it’s not safe to open yet.

Of course, I don’t have to visit so I’ll be one of the people who votes with my wallet. Others will choose to visit and they get to vote as well.

I’m glad that state parks have been opening up around me... been great to get out about and enjoy some nature walks.

nickys

Premium Member

View attachment 467538

Useful chart @MisterPenguin.

Question: why are those counties excluded? Are those hot spots in Florida, or is it more of a local leadership issue?

cbsav

Has anyone gone back and read the first couple of pages in this thread? Most of those posts have no aged well at all. It's a pretty interesting to read how many people thought we were super prepared and making the flu argument.

DisneyCane

Useful chart @MisterPenguin.

Question: why are those counties excluded? Are those hot spots in Florida, or is it more of a local leadership issue?
It's basically because Miami-Dade county has the worst situation and still hasn't gotten below 10% positive tests for a long enough period of time. They have to apply the same rules to Broward and Palm Beach because the counties are too close and people will easily travel from Miami-Dade to do things they can't do there. Coral Gables (south of Miami) to west central Broward is less than 40 minutes outside of rush hour. Similar (a little longer) for north Miami-Dade to South Palm Beach.

Calmdownnow

Very interesting.

Under the Reopen Florida Task Force, did they give a definition of "vacation rentals" (which is No in Phase 1, and Florida residents only, excluding anyone from hot spots in Phase 2). Could this relate to hotels and timeshares? Is DVC a "vacation rental"? I know a lot of people have speculated that DVC could be first to open due to the lost points issues?

DisneyCane

Very interesting.

Under the Reopen Florida Task Force, did they give a definition of "vacation rentals" (which is No in Phase 1, and Florida residents only, excluding anyone from hot spots in Phase 2). Could this relate to hotels and timeshares? Is DVC a "vacation rental"? I know a lot of people have speculated that DVC could be first to open due to the lost points issues?
I think vacation rentals refer to private residences (homes or condo) that people rent out. Hotels and timeshares can be regulated much more easily for procedures and cleaning standards. Authorities aren't going to be able to keep an eye on private rentals to make sure they are sanitizing properly.

Lilofan

I think vacation rentals refer to private residences (homes or condo) that people rent out. Hotels and timeshares can be regulated much more easily for procedures and cleaning standards. Authorities aren't going to be able to keep an eye on private rentals to make sure they are sanitizing properly.
They're also a number of homes and condos that are bought by foreign investors as vacation rentals. Typically the rentals are vacant until different times of the year when the unit is rented out to guests that pay by the week or month. Deep Cleaning is done before the unit is occupied and after the unit is vacated. What type of cleaning is not regulated. At times 10-15 people live in the rental in bedrooms and also others sleeping in sofabeds in the common areas. It's more economical than staying at a WDW resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom